Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heating On Yet?

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I use a small oil dimplex for quick shots of heat in one room. Expensive to keep on though..........

Yes that's what we use in the bedroom. Can't use radiator since within 30-40 mins of heating being on the bedroom is an ultra dry furnace (the radiator is right behind the bed headboard) but the rest of the house is still only warming. So it must be switched off and the portable heater used (which we need through the whole night anyway).

This morning was cold throughout the house so heating will go back on timer tonight for first time. Annoyingly I have to run the heating twice a day as we only have a simple moveable pegs on a clock dial controller. It has four pegs - two ons, two offs which all must run every 24 hours all year. A case of remembering to switch the CH and HW switches as required.

Winter is such a pain for temperature management!!

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

This is the first week that we have had it on much at all,about a month later then last yr.

Winter is such a pain for temperature management!!

I think you`ll find summer is worse for temperature management in peoples houses, at least now the house is a nice, cool and pleasant temperature unlike stuffy like in the summer.

No need for central heating for me just need another layer of clothing.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

I think you`ll find summer is worse for temperature management in peoples houses, at least now the house is a nice, cool and pleasant temperature unlike stuffy like in the summer.

No need for central heating for me just need another layer of clothing.

Absolutely not true in my house! It's a old detached house that is quite an odd design since it was once a coach house. The rooms are quite large (especially the living room) but there aren't many of them. The kitchen is bolted on to the side of the main house and is very poorly insulated. It doesn't have proper double glazing and we have skylights upstairs. The heating system is very outdated and inefficient. The house is painted white too.

All this combines to make for a lovely cool house in summer with temps rarely about 23c in the living room. The bedroom gets hot but open all the skylights and the breeze soon knocks it down to comfort levels. Only time I ever get 'stuffy' in this place is going upstairs after a hot day when all the windows have been shut. Open them and problem sorted. We face east so most overheating takes place 9-11am which kills weekend lie ins but not much else!

At the other end of the spectrum it gets very cold in winter - much more so than anywhere else I've lived (mostly more modern or mid terrace houses).

Temps will sink to 11c in the living room on cold nights/days (this is after reaching 18-20c the evening before) and into single figures in the kitchen. It's a real balancing act getting the heating right as you either end up cold or too hot/dry and thus wasting fuel. We get very little natural heating as the low sun doesn't get past the big four storey house opposite nor the many trees around us. The white walls reflect what does actually make it!

A lovely summer house with it's little courtyard (surrounded by the house) but definitely not a winter hide out!

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Still refusing to put my heating on, despite it being only 7C out there atm. Quite comfortable sat here with my jumper on.

Though will have to eventually put it on, probably when the first air frosts come to stop it getting damp inside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Absolutely not true in my house! It's a old detached house that is quite an odd design since it was once a coach house. The rooms are quite large (especially the living room) but there aren't many of them. The kitchen is bolted on to the side of the main house and is very poorly insulated. It doesn't have proper double glazing and we have skylights upstairs. The heating system is very outdated and inefficient. The house is painted white too.

All this combines to make for a lovely cool house in summer with temps rarely about 23c in the living room. The bedroom gets hot but open all the skylights and the breeze soon knocks it down to comfort levels. Only time I ever get 'stuffy' in this place is going upstairs after a hot day when all the windows have been shut. Open them and problem sorted. We face east so most overheating takes place 9-11am which kills weekend lie ins but not much else!

At the other end of the spectrum it gets very cold in winter - much more so than anywhere else I've lived (mostly more modern or mid terrace houses).

Temps will sink to 11c in the living room on cold nights/days (this is after reaching 18-20c the evening before) and into single figures in the kitchen. It's a real balancing act getting the heating right as you either end up cold or too hot/dry and thus wasting fuel. We get very little natural heating as the low sun doesn't get past the big four storey house opposite nor the many trees around us. The white walls reflect what does actually make it!

A lovely summer house with it's little courtyard (surrounded by the house) but definitely not a winter hide out!

<Smug> Ours is cool in summer and warm in winter… because it's only 8 years old and was rebuilt from an old cottage. We put underfloor heating in and as most of the downstairs flooring's slate it stays very cool in summer but warms up quickly as soon as the underfloor comes on — plus we have open log fires to give added toastiness if needed. Another thing is there are no drafts anywhere and the walls and loft are packed with insulation. It's my dream house really.

Posted

Still refusing to put my heating on, despite it being only 7C out there atm. Quite comfortable sat here with my jumper on.

Though will have to eventually put it on, probably when the first air frosts come to stop it getting damp inside.

That is the limitation with extra clothing - it doesn't keep the place dry.

Posted

<Smug> Ours is cool in summer and warm in winter… because it's only 8 years old and was rebuilt from an old cottage. We put underfloor heating in and as most of the downstairs flooring's slate it stays very cool in summer but warms up quickly as soon as the underfloor comes on — plus we have open log fires to give added toastiness if needed. Another thing is there are no drafts anywhere and the walls and loft are packed with insulation. It's my dream house really.

Sounds good! I guess I could mention to our landlord that we're paying to heat the whole area due to the poor insulation - and that the heating system is very outdated... Perhaps he'll think about uprating - we pay him enough rent!

Had central heating on for first time this morning - a one hour blast and the house is nicely warm (in selected areas anyway). Made it much easier to get up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Ok heating finally to be switched on right about now. Hopefully I'll be able to feel my hands again soon :yahoo:

Edited by James M

Posted

Must admit there's been a couple of mornings this week when I've not opened the lounge window as soon as I've gotten up ....... :yahoo:

Posted

We've had ours on a handful of times so far, however today was the first day when I can genuinely say I needed it on. The previous times are due to my colder other half - she'd have it on when the temperature outside dips below 15C if she had her way.

Unfortunately its looking like this house is going to be cold in winter (we moved in mid-July), our 1979 boiler is also starting to give up the fight. Im starting to save up now for when the inevitable happens, hopefully not during a potent cold spell!