Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heating On Yet?

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

As I'm new to having central heating any views on whether it would be better to set the thermostat now, and have the heating kick in when the temp drops to maintain what heat is leftover in the walls from summer, or wait til later on when I actually get cold. We've used to being in a cold house with just an open fire in the living room so I'm not sure what to do.

Having heating on in September is never on my mind, its the fourth warmest month of the year on average not far behind June so absolutely no need for heating, if we get a cold spell with air from an arctic origin with cold dew points and frosty nights with temps well below 0C between November to March/April it might pass my mind to put heating on but even then my house keeps the warmth easily, your much more likely to have heating on in early to mid Spring than early to mid Autumn with more more cold air around of polar origin, it takes a while in Autumn for it to move south especially with current synoptics.

Posted

Actually had the heating on, on and off, for the last 2 weeks.

Unfortunately with a toddler, we are trying to make sure it doesn't get too cold for her, as when she does (which is why we put the heating on), she wakes up too early or in the night.

Posted

No heating on here, and I doubt it will be until December at the earliest - and later still if a potential mild winter comes to fruitition. At the moment I am sat here with the windows open and a nice breeze coming in.

Yeah i don't think i'll be putting the heating on before december.Im sat at home now with the windows open

with a T shirt on. Even when im walking around the town centre i don't need a jumper on as it's not cold yet :D

Posted

Yeah i don't think i'll be putting the heating on before december.Im sat at home now with the windows open

with a T shirt on. Even when im walking around the town centre i don't need a jumper on as it's not cold yet biggrin.gif

You must be very warm blooded!

Posted

Try imagining what it would be like for them!

Depends how they feel about ugly naked guy I guess :D

Yeah i don't think i'll be putting the heating on before december.Im sat at home now with the windows open with a T shirt on.

Me too. And no trousers :D (see above :D)

Edited by Essan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Having heating on in September is never on my mind, its the fourth warmest month of the year on average not far behind June so absolutely no need for heating, if we get a cold spell with air from an arctic origin with cold dew points and frosty nights with temps well below 0C between November to March/April it might pass my mind to put heating on but even then my house keeps the warmth easily, your much more likely to have heating on in early to mid Spring than early to mid Autumn with more more cold air around of polar origin, it takes a while in Autumn for it to move south especially with current synoptics.

True but the flip side of this is that after the warmth of summer, any specific temperature feels cooler than it would do in spring where you'd been used to months of cold conditions. 15c in March feels much warmer than 15c in September! Then couple in a heat sapping easterly wind and no sunshine at all it's no wonder many people now feel cold. I now always have the light jacket on for the morning cycle and, for first time this season, today it was on for the evening too.

Still no heating although with no sun at all today the house has settled to 19c which is just that bit too cool. Yep jumpers can be worn but the complaints I get from the missus along the lines of "why should I wear a jumper, hat & gloves in my own house?!" make that only a short term solution!

15c in March feels much warmer than 15c in September

Not necessarily it depends on different factors like dew points, windchill factor, rainfall intensity, sunshine etc and the sun is slightly stronger in September as a month as a whole as in early September the sun is as strong as early April but yes you do have a point that your your body is more used to cold after three to four months of long nights and short days.

Yes outside it doesn't feel that warm with overcast conditions but in my house with warm PC on and a warm plasma, Sky HD box, dvd recorder, games consoles etc on it warms up easily enough and i need to open windows to let some fresh air in during the night.

GFS 12Z = No heating needed smile.gif

Edited by Eugene

Not necessarily it depends on different factors like dew points, windchill factor, rainfall intensity, sunshine etc and the sun is slightly stronger in September as a month as a whole as in early September the sun is as strong as early April but yes you do have a point that your your body is more used to cold after three to four months of long nights and short days.

Yes outside it doesn't feel that warm with overcast conditions but in my house with warm PC on and a warm plasma, Sky HD box, dvd recorder, games consoles etc on it warms up easily enough and i need to open windows to let some fresh air in during the night.

I'm surprised you don't have the heating on whenever it's below 25C!

Posted

You must be very warm blooded!

Some people feel the cold more than others. It's 14c now, and with a light breeze it doesn't feel too bad out and about.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

It is 8.4c outsidecold.gif and yes i have the heating on! its a pleasant 21c inside at the moment.

If i didnt have heating on it would drop quite low in house though by 1-2am and i would wake up.

Posted

It is 8.4c outsidecold.gif and yes i have the heating on! its a pleasant 21c inside at the moment.

If i didnt have heating on it would drop quite low in house though by 1-2am and i would wake up.

I wake up all the time in the night because I'm too warm :rolleyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Cold wakes me up - like leaving your window open on what feels like a warm evening only to find it gets colder later on. Worst thing is any exposed skin is icy cold compared to the rest of you - then it gets 'hot aches' as you try to warm it up!

Warmth does wake me up on weekend lie-ins in summer when the sun heats the room up rapidly. End up gasping for air if window was left closed!

• 4 weeks later...
Posted

so, how many have put there heating on yet this month? still not gone on indoors. but Mrs MAF is making it clear that it should be on by now :)

Posted

so, how many have put there heating on yet this month? still not gone on indoors. but Mrs MAF is making it clear that it should be on by now :)

I put mine on for 1 hour the other morning as it was 4C outside and it was fairly chilly inside. I got a message from the wife when she got into work saying that she jumped out of bed because she thought the house was burning down!

Posted

I have the heating on this morning, but only just for an hour this morning as the rest of the time, with the fire lit, the house stays nice and warm and the chimney stack running up through the middle acts like a bit of a storage heater.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Heating is yet to be switched on although the wife did manage to nag me into lighting the fire on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

We caved in one day last week as it had got quite chilly

Posted

We have the gas fire on low in the mornings & evenings now - just to take the chill off. Keeping the kitchen quarter of the house shut off when not in use keeps it warmer too - unless you want a snack!

Posted

GFS 12Z = No heating needed smile.gif

To paraphrase Dostoyevsky, 'doesn't it always feel colder when frosty in November than in February?'

Certainly 6 degrees on an October morning feels colder than -1 on a January morning when one is more used to the cold (assuming a frost has occurred by January!)...

Heating off amidst the usual battle with the wife. She has hinted, but I've so far resisted...