Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Heating On Yet?

Bottesford

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

So who's got their heating on yet? The building I work in has put the boiler on but I turned off the radiators (since its a tin shack and gets hot in any sunshine). I've not used any heat at home yet but feel it won't be too long before the gas fire goes on (ahh the smell of burning dust that will follow..).

Fair way off central heating yet though - early November sounds a good bet depending on how cold October is.

Posted

Well I shall wait until the first frost - on the inside of the windows!

We generally only have heating on when it gets below 2 or 3 DgC at night, we still have the bedroom windows open and will have until the end of November probably. We're fresh air freaks here! :rolleyes:

Posted

My mother puts the heating on even in August, if she's cold. Clearly gone soft since living through 62/63!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yes the annual battle between me and the wife will start soon, she has already mentioned about putting the heating on - but september is way too early.

My mother puts the heating on even in August, if she's cold. Clearly gone soft since living through 62/63!

I have this theory that GW is caused by the female of the species who seem very prone to needing the heating on 9 months of the year. :rolleyes::)

Posted

Nope no heating yet, we're trying to put it off as long as possable so the heating isn't going on until the INSIDE of our single glaze windows start to ice up. Living in a tennement in Edinburgh should be interesting this winter.

Yes the annual battle between me and the wife will start soon, she has already mentioned about putting the heating on - but september is way too early.

I have this theory that GW is caused by the female of the species who seem very prone to needing the heating on 9 months of the year. :rolleyes::)

It's the other way in our house - If I am indoors, I like to feel warm and 25C+ suites me fine whilst my wife insists on opening the windows, however when moving outside on a bright frosty morning I am ok.

It probably is an age thing - I recall riding a motor bike during the winter of 62/63 and not really feeling the cold.

Any way we are off to the south of France today, though the forecast for the weekend does not look none too good.

Posted

i usually start this thread around the end of the month, thought it was too early to do it now. seems though that a few people are beginning to feel the change in temps.

Indoor heating not on yet. needs to cool down quite a bit more before i put it on, and even then its probably set around 18 degrees to just take the chill off overnight.

got good cavity wall and loft insulation so my house is usually quite comfortable late in the year compared to when i didnt have the cavity wall insulation where i would possibly have had to put the heating on by next weekend.

Posted

Have resisted putting the heating on, although the ceiling fan went off for the first evening/night last night in months. Temperature has finally reached a nice sleeping level for the first time in ages. Huzzah!

Posted

No. We are still putting the fans on in the bedrooms to cool them down at night! I close the windows when it starts to get dark so that the spiders don't come in. :)

The sun really heats our house up during the day. Although the house has solid walls, the loft is well insulated and the insides of the external walls are lined with thermal-backed plasterboard, so the upstairs of the house is always warm. We seldom have the radiators on in the bedrooms, unless it's a perishing cold spell. Downstairs is a bit different in that the floors are suspended timber and the wind whistles around underneath, so the floor can be quite cold underfoot, despite thick underlay and carpet. That's when we get our thick woolly socks on! :rolleyes:

I envisage having to put the fire on of an evening before too long, but not the central heating yet.

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

No heating for me either but the Aga's on all year round so barring a particularly cold spell, central heating probably won't go on until much nearer Christmas. Did light the fire last week though, not because it was cold but because the chimney was so damp, the house smelt sooty - roaring fire with the french windows wide open, an odd sight.

Posted

lovely to read how you young folk have blood in your veins-me, if it is blood, its pretty thin!

CH is permanently on 06-24 365 days per year, that way the water is always hot but the CH is on 20C so its rare that triggers any heating through the so called summer half of the year-, although the past few days its come on and off, mostly in the evening. Did come on the other day as I left the front door open, thermostat is by the stairs, made the rest of the house a bit like a greenhouse until I turned the thermo down.

Before you ask, yes the radiators upstairs would come on thanks to the hot water gravity feed so they are turned off.

I suspect all will be on when I get back from Croatia a week on Saturday. If GFS was believable in that time frame, which we all know it often is wrong, then it will would be on full belt!

Posted

No. We are still putting the fans on in the bedrooms to cool them down at night! I close the windows when it starts to get dark so that the spiders don't come in. :( .....

See! thats why i tell my wife to not put the heating on. it keeps the spiders outside :D

*shudders* i hate spiders

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

heating been on and off mainly due to my Mother who feels cold anything below 70F. I guess it's called getting old otherwise it would be off.

Posted

We moved house in July and unlike the old place this one has very good windows with no draught. Its meant that so far its remained quite warm indoors, no doubt helped by the general lack of single figure minimums.

Its wont be long before the battle begins with my girlfriend, she gets cold very easily. I managed to not put it on until the last week of October last year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

See! thats why i tell my wife to not put the heating on. it keeps the spiders outside :D

*shudders* i hate spiders

Don't talk to me about spiders! Last week, 3 nights in a row, when I took the bed-cover off there was a spider in there! I can't go to bed now without stripping it first to have a look. The windows are now tightly shut all day so they can't get in. Makes it a bit warm for sleeping though but sod it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

My boiler is quite old & the thermostat not very accurate so I tend to micromanage the heating & cooling of my house myself. I liken it to steering an oil tanker taking a mile to change direction - plan ahead to get things both comfortable & efficient.

I aim for 21-22c when in summer time closing selective windows/doors once it starts to drop below 21c.

In winter especially when its very cold I aim just to make it to 20c when we're actually sat in the living room. In the mornings I aim to get it just above 17c so when coupled with a jumper you're ok. But since it can fall to 11c in there after only 8 hours without heating and takes 2 hours + heating to make it to the comfort zone it's quite a lumbering oil tanker!

Bedroom is warmer except during cold east winds as skylight faces east (like most of the house windows). I avoid using radiator in the bedroom as it usually ends in my nose, eyes & throat being dried up to a horrible level. I opt for a portable oil filled electric radiator draped in a wet flannel to maintain humidity.

Oh the fun of coping with winter!

Posted

Not at home but here at work we are in a portacabin at the top of a hill in Telford, it is currntly overcast and blinkin cold, I don't normally feel the cold but the heater is on in my office and some of the others this morning. We seem to be under a cloud, I can see Shrewsbury , which is in sunshine and was pleasantly warm this morning but Telford is shrouded in murk and cold.

Posted

So who's got their heating on yet? The building I work in has put the boiler on but I turned off the radiators (since its a tin shack and gets hot in any sunshine). I've not used any heat at home yet but feel it won't be too long before the gas fire goes on (ahh the smell of burning dust that will follow..).

Fair way off central heating yet though - early November sounds a good bet depending on how cold October is.

Well, I bet the QMC will be its usual 30 degree furnace, something I'm not going to relish when doing my individual investigation in there... :D

I've still got the window open in my bedroom to make sure the sun doesn't heat it up too much during the day! Heating? What heating? :(

Posted

6-7 in the morning, so it's nice & cosy when the Ayatollah sends me downstairs to bring the coffee up. A small burst of heating in the evenings also, just so I can relax in my jim-jams and not a wooly-pully !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

Not had the heating on since end of April.

Usually doesn't go on until mid October, unless an unseasonal blast of cold weather sets in earlier.

Should have had the cavity wall insulation done last week, but the came to do it and had to stop because they couldn't fill the cavity.

Waiting on a guy from the company to come out this Friday & see why they couldn't do it.

Posted

Not had the heating on since end of April.

Usually doesn't go on until mid October, unless an unseasonal blast of cold weather sets in earlier.

Should have had the cavity wall insulation done last week, but the came to do it and had to stop because they couldn't fill the cavity.

Waiting on a guy from the company to come out this Friday & see why they couldn't do it.

once it gets done you will notice a massive difference to the temperature indoors Steve. my heating bill was reduced quite a bit when it was done, and a bit more when the loft was reinsulated. its usually mid october when the wife has complained/nagged enough for the heating to go on in my house :)