Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alb

Snowfalls Across Italian Alps Today

Hi, I'm new here.

I write from northern Italy, a village placed 60km north-east from Milan at 680 meters above sea level.

Today in the east part of the Alps (Südtirol) we had some snowfalls from 1400 meters a.s.l.

Some pics:

139560d1252946260-nowcasting-valtellina-valchiavenna-orobie-medio-alto-lario-ed-intelvi-14-09-2009-meteoeye3.jpg

139559d1252946260-nowcasting-valtellina-valchiavenna-orobie-medio-alto-lario-ed-intelvi-14-09-2009-meteoeye2.jpg

Here in Berbenno weather is overcast now, temperature of +14.1°C, 7.5 mm cumulated from 0:00 am, 1285.5 mm from 1st January. Bye. :rofl:

Welcome to Netweather! Thanks for these photos. Is this snowfall earlier/later than normal or is it to be expected in the middle of September?

I'm no expert, but that does seem a bit early for that sort of altitude (about the same as Ben Nevis), that far south?

Bodes well for the skiing season down there though :)

Welcome to Netweather! Thanks for these photos. Is this snowfall earlier/later than normal or is it to be expected in the middle of September?

Thanks. :)

Snowfalls are quite common from 2000/2200 m in the middle of September, less common at 1400 meters. Anyway, it cannot be considered like an extraordinary event. For example in last july a little snowfall occurred in Livigno, just above the town at 1900 m a.s.l.

Some more snow forecasted for wednesday, especially in western Alps, even if it seems that snow will fall only from 3000 m a.s.l. Good for glaciers, after all.

Below that altitude, there is a moderate flood risk (200 mm in about 24 hours).

pcp12hz_web_4.png

pcp12hz_web_5.png