Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Biggest Diurnal Range Recorded?

Posted

Based on another topic and not wanting to hijack it, I was wondering what the biggest diurnal (e.g. night min to day max) range ever recorded has been? I would imagine it is somewhere in Siberia in spring time? Also, what was the biggest dirunal range recorded in the uk?

Edited by pjb120

Posted

For the world, any desert would be the best hope...so parts of Siberia, possible Antarctica, then the multitude of warm deserts around the world.

I'd hazard a guess at it being in the range of 40C?

Cookie's post suggests I was miles off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

according to my open universty book. it dosent say when it happend but.

was a low of -68oC to a high of 37oC

in Verkhoyansk in Sieberia

shok.gif

That doesn't even bear thinking about!

according to my open universty book. it dosent say when it happend but.

was a low of -68oC to a high of 37oC

in Verkhoyansk in Sieberia

That is the record high and low for that place, not the max and min of the same day!

Possibly similair to diurnal temps on Mars!

Still a pretty impressive range for the same place!

Posted

Hunting around the web for a definitive answer on this I came upon an interesting fact about the USA that is very relevant to an event, the anniversary of which we are marking today:

Skeptics of the theory that contrails do not have an impact on weather argued this theory with some success until a significant event occurred in North America, the main testing grounds of contrail research.

The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 was the aforementioned event, and it was likely to have excited meteorological researchers involved in contrail impact studies. The national airspace was shut down for three days, something that had not yet occurred since the jet age began in the 1960s and is not likely to occur ever again. Scientists took advantage of this unique three day period in history that lacked contrails. What they learned was shocking and is enough evidence to effectively silence any counterargument to their case. One measure of climate is the average daily temperature range (DTR). For thirty years this had been recorded and extra cirrus clouds in the atmosphere would reduce this range by trapping heat. “September 11 – 14, 2001 had the biggest diurnal temperature range of any three-day period in the past 30 years,” said Andrew M. Carleton. Not in three decades had there been such a large temperature spread between the daytime highs and the nighttime lows. Furthermore, the increase in DTR during those three days was more than double the national average for regions of the United States where contrail coverage was previously known to be most abundant, such as the Midwest, northeast, and northwest regions. The specific increase in the range was 2°F, which in three days was twice the amount the average temperature had increased by over thirty years time1. This is evidence that contrails do alter the climate of the land they drift above.

www.airliners.net/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I got my information mixed up laugh.gifdoh.gif

But still, the fact that one location can achieve both -68c and 37c is remarkable in itself.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Browning in Montana went from 6.7C to -48.8C within 24 hours back in January 1916

Yes that record use to be published every year in the guinness book of records

Cant find anything for UK anyone hazard a guess

I do recall there being a website, that i looked on a couple of years ago possibly 100 weather facts was in the title, that had a lot of weather records and one that stuck in the mind was that at one place in the UK, the temperature went up i beleive approx 29 degrees ( dont know whether C or F) in 5 minutes. As i say this is from memory and i cant seem to find the website!

Edited by Matthedges99