Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

M'Lady

What Brings You Here?

I first joined a certain (now defunct) internet weather site because I wanted to be able to make "Will it snow in Liverpool?" type posts during the winter. Since graduating to a proper weather site, I no longer make those sort of posts (partly because I'd have to ban myself) but, over the years, I have found myself increasingly interested in the weather forecasts (and hopecasts) and the playful banter on this site.

Being inquisitive I found myself wondering earlier what prompted other people to join the netweather community.

So, do tell... what brings you here?

Morning M'Lady. i too was on that other site you emigrated from. and my reasons are pretty similar to yours. i love learning stuff here from the likes of John Holmes and never cease to be amazed as to the amount of info floating around in the threads. the banter is fun and often an escape from the serious stuff, like work :unsure:

the busy times on the forum are great, especially like the big snow event in London. and keeping up with the multitude of posts is hectic but great fun when its like that. i enjoy the photo's too (when i can see them) just wish people posted more photo's on the site directly and not through other mediums, as more often then not o cannot view the pictures as my PC wont allow access to the site at work i.e photobucket

the moderation is another big plus for NW. all in all its a pleasure to be here :drinks:

I lurked here for quite a while as, like many, I have a passion for extreme weather. I was also interested in something a little more than just the standard media output of TV and radio forecasts and wanted to try and understand what forecasters looked at and how they assessed the up-coming weather.

Unfortunately I also found banter :) and being in an office on my own, in a relatively small company, I rediscovered all the chit chat, teasing, innuendo and general conversation that inevitably happens in larger companies with several people in the same office.

I don't do social networking sites, but I do do NW banter, its almost like you're actually there.....

oh, and how could i not mention the thrill of the stormchasing threads. roll on 2010!!

So, do tell... what brings you here?

I heard NW made the best Balti on the net, so was a little disappointed.

Of course, it was indeed like quite a few, a move from the dreaded BBC forums, and my love for snow, frost and early morning mist/fog that first got me into the weather.

I just about reckon that, between you, you have already given my reaons for being here...Like-minded people and all that? :):):)

Someone told me I'd get free beer and donuts.

They lied.

Still hanging around though.

Actually, it was mrs p3 who found NW; she loves storms and stuff. I like weather, climate change issues, showing off how clever I am and so on.

I find it's quite easy to feel clever on NW

:) :)

Its the fact that everyone has his/her own unique perspective to contribute towards the forum. Theres been some pretty fantastic characters over the years and I hope there will continue to be so, all whilst explaining whats happening weather wise and giving their expertee's way ahead of any official Met Office or BBC forecast.

Also on forums like here you can cht to people from anywhere in the world and find out whats happening at any given time, in REAL time. A severe weather event might be happening in Australia and we'd be the first to know some 6 hours ahead of the AP Press.

But mostly I just come on the forums to learn as much as I can about Meteorology from those who may know things I dont, and to contribute whenever I can towards whatever subjects happen to come up that occur around my area.

I graduated from terrorising Jamez on the BBC site with help from OON and Paul Sherman

The pivotal moment was 100F (see the date I joined the site)

I lurked here....I still mostly lurk to be honest I don't post nearly as much as I'm on.

I'm on your weather sites, stalkin' yer posts, learning boot teh weather!

What brings me here?.....It was that damned SAT NAV again!!!....I was actually looking for a Burger King in Wolverhampton, punched in the post code, and ended up here! I'll never use Tom-Tom again....my van broke down and despite numerous calls to the AA, I've been stuck here awaiting recovery for the past 4 and a bit years! :rofl:

I was one of the group that defected from SlowSnow watch at the start of Net Weather. I found Snow watch by accident and had never experienced a forum before so I don't begrudge it's basicness and laugh now at the fact it was shut during the evening when most peeps wanted to post their snow stories :rofl:

NW has been with me since the start, taking up too much of my time but I love it.

Over the years NW has entertained, informed, frustrated, kept me sane, driven me crazy, kept me on the edge of my seat and made me laugh.

I love to see more people coming on board and joining in. It's good to follow a weather event by seeing people's posts. You get know the people in your area so if you see certain people posting you know that it is on the way to you soon.

I suppose it's nice to know I'm not the only one who is mad about weather :huh:

My interest in thunderstorms bought me to NW. A few years back I was surfing the net to learn all about storms and landed up here. I have learnt a lot about storms from NW and I love it when all us storm lovers are keeping each other updated with the rain radars (Netweather Extra rain radar is cool smile.gif ) and what area and parts of the country the storms are at on a storm day.

Of course!!I usually end up cray.gif at the end of the day though as I never get storms anymore sad.gif lol

There's always next year I suppose lol

For me it happened largely by accident- I was regularly checking out the weather updates on the BBC website and came across the forums, and decided to start posting on "Snow Watch", and soon became established as a prominent member alongside the likes of Atmos Ferric, Harry Piper, Ian Brown, John Fallon ([email protected]) and various others. At the time it was probably the best BBC discussion board there was, and one of the better weather discussion boards. I joined various others in moving to Net-Weather when the BBC board started to decline in a big way.

I must admit I got lucky with the forecasting side of things, again that happened mainly by accident but I had always wanted to do some forecasting of my own.

In my early days on Snow Watch and N-W, I used to get carried away with the others with the GFS's overcooked northerlies but got wise to it in more recent years. My knowledge about the weather has expanded considerably as a result of frequently using N-W. The main problem with N-W is that it's very addictive, more so than Facebook!

Given the fact i'm member something 500 odd I geniunely have no idea whatsoever how I got here.

I think I was probably trying to find some decent weather resources when it was cold or something.

But I stayed. I might not post as often as I did in the early years, when actually my amateur eye and interpretation was as good and respected as anyone elses. But we have a whole glut of really good meteorologists on here nowadays and don't stick my two pennith in as much - we had some characters on here and still do. Maybes thats a shame, I don't know. But its a site I love, and still my main weather resource.

For me it happened largely by accident- I was regularly checking out the weather updates on the BBC website and came across the forums, and decided to start posting on "Snow Watch", and soon became established as a prominent member alongside the likes of Atmos Ferric, Harry Piper, Ian Brown, John Fallon ([email protected]) and various others.......

i remember John Fallon and Mr crazy the honourable member from Luton have a massive bust up one night on snow watch. a few people were quite shocked when Mr Crazy went into "normal" mode in his post to explain who he was and what he did for a living.

i remember Steve Prudence was normally the one who posted the "come to NW" posts all the time. once NW had started and he defected from snow watch. of course the defining moment that encouraged a lot of people to join NW from BBC was the moronic people who tried to emulate the "nuff said" person.

Oh, M'Lady, i also recall you had an imposter who was about 3 classes below you :drinks:

Been on this forum for a few years now, just love extremes of weather, snow and thunderstorms etc, Love to post a weather report every now and then too!

I visit this site at least twice a day, if not more, and have done so for a number of years now. I also was one which used to log on to 'Snow Watch' of the BBC ONE site. I was so pleased to see all the old names appearing here. I don't say much, but have learnt so much about one of my favourite subjects it is amazing. Of course I LOVE the snow reports, but also I am equally keen on the thunder/volcanoe/space subjects - this place ROCKS !!!! :rolleyes:

I also used to be a member of the BBC weather boards (under the name of snowy midlands/sunny midlands depending on the season), dark, dark days. But I found NW through them. I love the weather and my ambition is to get a career as a Meteorologist, so this is the ideal tool for a beginner to start from! My aim is to eventually be able to understand Glacier Point's posts in the Model thread laugh.gif. I am addicted though, cannot go a day without my daily dose of Netweather =]

Oh, M'Lady, i also recall you had an imposter who was about 3 classes below you :lol:

One abiding memory I have of snow watch was an evening when one member took it upon themselves to have a real go at me for some reason and the ever adorable Shuggee leapt to my defence. He's been my big punk knight in shining armour ever since.

Seriously though, I used to go on Snow Watch (was most of the Allen family as well as the Farkin's), that got closed and this was the next best thing.

That explains so much, darling. Grebe and chips for dinner? I think you'll agree it's preferable to spam...

Was given this site for checking up on weather conditions for fishing, but didnt realise how much information you could getpardon.gif

Once I went on here a few times I saw other people's passion for extreme weather and realised just how much you can learn from other weather watchers

Thank you everybody for what you have taught me so fardrinks.gifdrinks.gifdrinks.gif

Actually it's a funny thing, after the snow watch episode, in 2003, before I even knew Paul was building a site, I was trying to build a website too, it's name was to be cellweather, but I didn't have to experience or the knowhow to build a website make it function so Paul invited me to join net-weather as a forecaster and admin (if I'm wrong Paul - correct me). I think in return we devised a plan to attract people to the site, of course being one of the founder members it was a privilage so I thought it was only right to get people onto the website and well I'm glad there are some of the original founder members with us still today!

The memories!

Came here a couple of years ago - it was mentioned favourably on Metcheck - so I thought I would come visit.

I have lurked, on and off, but not really joined in any of the indepth stuff about forecasting - not my area of expertise - but it seems people fall out quite a lot over forecasting - a little my camp vs your camp if opinions differ and I can't be bothered with clique infighting - life's too short.....

I tend to take my weather a little less seriously but I like to have an idea of what is coming my way weatherwise - if the forecast is approximately accurate that is good - if it isn't then such is life.... that's the weather for you mellow.gif

I tend to lurk around the retreat area but haven't joined in much recently - it is usually a pleasant place to be - although the odd bout of grumpiness breaks out there sometimes too.

Well Iangec you should join in more, and don't let my grumpiness stand in ya way :D :lol:

Actually took me a long time to get up the courage to join into banter, but thanks to Flagpole... yes I know I did say Flagpole, I really took to it.