Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Osbourne One-Nil

Data Back-Up

I like to think I'm pretty sorted should anything happen to my main work machine, but I still have nagging doubts that I should be doing more, so I wondered what others did.

At the moment, I use Acronis to make an image of my work files every day. This is on a separate drive within my work machine, which would be great should my everyday work drive get a glitch, but pretty useless if the whole machine were to disappear. So, I also use Microsoft Live Sync to back-up in real time onto a remote machine (in my house), so in theory, I should always have a remote copy of everything. I also then syncronise all files on that remote machine with my laptop, so I can take my work with me, if I need to. In total then, I have four copies of my work.

My work files amount to about 25gb, so online storage could prove pretty expensive, but I wondered if anyone uses a fail-safe method, or if they think what I'm doing is enough?

buy an external hard drive from maplin's, they cost around £40 to £100 size dependind and its just plug and play, you can just plug it in, copy all you files to it whenever you see fit as a backup, also you can take it with you if you need to use it elsewhere.

I really think you're doing enough OON.. The only other thing I would perhaps do is to create a RAID on the remote machine or just back up that drive onto a network drive..

The only problem with local back-ups is the risk of fire/flood, so an off site back up would be preferable, or at least a fire/waterproof safety box, with maybe (as Rob suggested) an external hard drive.

I think I'm already doing the network drive thingy with the laptop, so perhaps I should just get a big portable hard drive like Rob suggests. The only thing with that is actually getting round to doing it, but I suppose it's bttter to do it even now and then than not at all.

BT do a digital vault thing, but the thought of transferring that amount over the internet is not an attractive one, and I'm turning into a miser in my old (middle) age.

The only problem with local back-ups is the risk of fire/flood, so an off site back up would be preferable, or at least a fire/waterproof safety box, with maybe (as Rob suggested) an external hard drive.

we have an imaging server at work that i backup using a 1tb hard drive that i then store ina locked room inside a fireproof safe in another building, for my home backup i have a 200gb external hard drive that i backup monthly and put in on another floor, been doing it for threes years now and has always been reliable, plus its handy if i go out to do something and need a file but cant be bothered to lug the laptop around with me.

It's probably theft I'm most worried about. Also, with syncronising data, if the original gets screwed, does all the syncronised stuff get screwed too through the syncronisation process?

I think I'm getting paranoid!

It's probably theft I'm most worried about. Also, with syncronising data, if the original gets screwed, does all the syncronised stuff get screwed too through the syncronisation process?

I would suggest a rottweiler.

It can get screwed up yes.. If use a portable drive, it should only take about half hour to back up your 25gig. Something to do while having evening munch time..

I have also come across some back up systems that only require you to send ALL the information once, then you only submit the changes which presumably wouldn't be that large to send.

I would suggest a rottweiler.

now theres a good idea

(should get my new Rotty in 3 weeks time :unsure: )

Pickles, check your email :blush:

you are getting a bit paranoid yes, but i do recommend an extrernal hard drive, doesnt take long to copy data really, set it off in the background, grab a cuppa and post on nw, will be done in no time, never let me down, if its theft you are worried about store the hard drive somewhere noone will think to look.

you are getting a bit paranoid yes, but i do recommend an extrernal hard drive, doesnt take long to copy data really, set it off in the background, grab a cuppa and post on nw, will be done in no time, never let me down, if its theft you are worried about store the hard drive somewhere noone will think to look.

Do they make them OON wallet size??

Do they make them OON wallet size??

a oon wallett is?? lol

I have also come across some back up systems

You filthy beast.
if its theft you are worried about store the hard drive somewhere noone will think to look.
How about I get a box file and label it "Persian Paladin's Complete Works"?

You filthy beast.

How about I get a box file and label it "Persian Paladin's Complete Works"?

that oughta do it lol!