Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul B

Desktop Pc Advice

Been offered the following desktop PC for £150:

Intel Celeron, 2.80 GHz, 512 RAM, 74GB hard drive, dvd multi recorder, fire wire, 6 usb slots, 19" flat screen, Windows XP.

Any experts here who'd like to advise if that sounds like a good deal please?

Not especially tbh - intel celerons are pretty old and slow now, and 512mb of ram is quite low, about £150 is prob what you'd expect to pay for that sort of spec.

Of course depends what you want it for - surfing and what have you will be fine on it, so if it's in good nick it's a reasonable enough deal I reckon.

Was thinking about getting an automatic weather station set up on it, but I think it may be asking too much of it!

I'm not sure, weather stations don't do much crazy stuff and I've heard of quite a few people running them on older pc's so you may well be ok with it.

for £150 you could probably get alot better weve got desktops at work that run at 512mb and they struggle to load the internet at times, let alone do any work!

You can buy a new laptop for around £300? And they have the Vistamonster pre-installed! :unsure:

Thanks for your thoughts guys, will give it a miss I think and save up for a new laptop!

that would be for the best paul, especially as it sounds the person offering is ripping you off for what sounds like a 5/6 yr old machine

Only thing I'd say about a laptop is that if you're planning to run a weather station on it 24/7, you could potentially run into problems. They're not really designed to be on all the time as they aren't as good at staying cool as desktops.

Apparantly the machine on offer Rob is just over a year old, I was a bit surprised it doesn't have Vista...

OK, cheers Paul...I'll save up for a new desktop then! :unsure:

Apparantly the machine on offer Rob is just over a year old, I was a bit surprised it doesn't have Vista...

OK, cheers Paul...I'll save up for a new desktop then! laugh.gif

really? that sound pretty rubbish for such a young age!

well the spec is low but for £150 with a 19" flat screen its not a bad buy. with a few extra pounds you could upgrade the RAM and have a good standby PC. perhaps try and knock the price down by the price of new RAM and you may well get a good deal there Paul :lol:

You can get a desktop PC with 4gig RAM 460 Gig HD 512MB graphics card for just over £400 on Ebuyer...minus the monitor.

So I'd say that's a bit of a poor deal really.

OK, cheers Paul...I'll save up for a new desktop then! :)

With those specs I would be surprised if it was a year old. I would say its around 5-6yrs old.

I tell you what Paul my old PC is similiar specs and I would sell it for £75!