Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Updated - Site Update Schedule

Paul

Posted

Hi all, just wanted to give you a heads up on the goings on here in September as we have a fair bit happening..

Forum Upgrade / Changes

During the next couple of days we'll be putting an upgrade online, this will mean the forum will be closed for around an hour whilst that's in progress- it's mainly bug fixes etc but beyond that we will be introducing some new skins etc during the remainder of the month including replicas of the old skins (from before the major upgrade) for those who may want to use them.

We'll also be making one of two changes to the forum layout and also to the team structure in the coming days too.

Video upgrades / additions

We'll be upgrading the video player during the next week or so to add to the recent upgrades (you can now skip the ads if they don't interest you), this will make the system a little sleeker and will also introduce a larger player screen. Earth Live will also be seeing a major update with higher quality and longer videos of the various destinations we cover.

Alongside this we're working hard to bring additional video content online with more programs including forecasts, footage roundups and various other items in the pipeline.

Site Update

It's taken some time, but we're finally very close to putting the new site design online. As well as a new look we'll be introducing a range of new features and improvements at the same time. Currently we're expecting to bring this online before the end of September - but keep an eye out for more information on this.

September 19th - Move to a new data centre

Overnight on Saturday 19th September our servers are being moved into a new data centre, the new state of the art facility which has been custom built by our hosts rackspace boasts excellent connectivity, plenty of space for expansion and is powered by renewable energy. The downside of this is that our servers will have to be transported over there so there will be a period of downtime of approx 4 hours starting at about 1am Saturday.

That's about it for now - we'll keep you up to date with more detailed info prior to each item occurring.

Cheers

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks for the heads-up Paul. Net-Weather really does go from strenth-to-strength; and you guys really do think ahead...

The downside - Len might be whingeing again soon, about his ZX81 not working??? :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

The downside - Len might be whingeing again soon, about his ZX81 not working??? drinks.gif

laugh.gif

Exciting times ahead, thanks for all the hard work to everyone involved. drinks.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The brief downtimes will be worth it I am sure! I have only been a member for 2 years but so much has changed - all for the better!

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

Thanks for the info. Great site anyway, and your going to improve. Well done.

mandy xx

Posted

what! no NW on the 19th :rofl::wallbash: that will mean i will have to work for real that night :good:

thanks for the notice Paul and lets hope the improvements go without any glitches. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Thanks for the info. Great site anyway, and your going to improve. Well done.

mandy xx

My thoughts too, well done allrolleyes.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Thanks Paul.

Only yesterday did our coach going back home, park a few yards from the Met Office in Exeter. I was going to shout... "Get the Summer right you {profanities removed}!! Jane Louise, Dogs32, et al in Cheltenham want some storms!!"

Confessionally, I really really wanted to, and would have if not for some old lady having to board back up to Bristol.

Wouldn't have been fair, shouting at a 70+ year old outside a bus stop, outside the Met Office.

Anyway, 19th September? I'll be busy that day anyway. Not one, but TWO Birthday parties to attend. (Sighs!!)

Phil.

Good luck with the transistion, Paul. :D

Posted

Just wanted to let you know that the move to the new datacentre has now taken place, and miracle or miracles everything (touch wood) appears to have gone smoothly!

Posted

Just wanted to let you know that the move to the new datacentre has now taken place, and miracle or miracles everything (touch wood) appears to have gone smoothly!

and i could hear the "phew" of relief from here Paul :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Thanks for another heads-up, paul...Is it me, or is the site starting to speed up a bit?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

Yes it definately seems quicker at my end.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi all, just wanted to update you on the schedule, as we've got a few things coming through in the next week or so and have one or two new plans to share with you as well..

Site upgrade - This is expected to be online next week, with a new look to the site and a number of new features associated with it. Exact date of the switch over tba, so please keep an eye out for updates on this.

Long Range Forecast - The monthly update to this will be online later today, looking ahead to the remainder of Autumn and the first 2 months of winter.. We're planning something pretty special for the full winter forecast during October and November as well - we'll be making announcements on this in the coming weeks.

Video - New programs will be live during October, including a regional weather reports and footage show, please let me know if you would like to be involved in this in any way.

Cheers

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Evening all, this isn't an 'official' announcement as yet as there's still the chance something unexpected may popup, but at last the new site is nearing completion and is pencilled in to be online this coming Wednesday.

We're extremely excited about it, as it's taken a lot of work and we're pretty proud of the new look and new features, so hopefully you'll like it! Confirmation of the launch date will be made within the next few days.. :D

Posted

We're working hard to try and get the new site ready for tomorrow, but the reality is that it's not too likely to make it - this will be confirmed tomorrow and if it isn't online tomorrow it certainly should be by the end of the week (touch wood).

There is also a maintenance upgrade due for the forum which we'll also be putting up during the next few days, this will mean a short period where the forum is closed..