Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The "diurnal" Factor!

ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

The upcoming settled spell is now on the cards for just about the whole nation from about Thursday onwards...As there wont be much in the forecast of wind ,rain and storms to talk about, so what about talking about the "extremes" of daily temperature "DIURNAL" and posting our daily fluctuations in temperature where we live or at least give some indication of that temperature change even if you dont have a theremometer!

At this time of year high pressure over the uk with slack winds and clear skies can give us a huge range of temperature on a daily basis, so make a prediction and give us your stats,for example my guess for the Vale Of Evesham would be 3c [the lowest temp]ground frost category, temperature rising then to 21 c later that day thats a Day "diurnal" temperature range of 18c...Im sure somewhere can beat that later this week into next...? :) :o :p:):)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

I'm going to say for here, high of 18c and low of 4c. Doesn't get majorly gold in the west at this time of year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I might go for the smallest daily range at an inland station under the high pressure, particularly if the wind becomes light and the sky clear of cloud. A diurnal range of more than 12c is very unusual here in September and the average diurnal range over the past 26 years is 5.9c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well the largest diurnal range I have ever recorded was in front by quite a lot on Thursday 13th September 2007 with a minimum of 5.9C and a maximum of 25.3C making the gap 19.4C.

No other days have managed that!

Posted

In general, the diurnal ranges recorded in September in the UK will never really be as great as you can experience in Spring. This is due to the combination of the seas being at their warmest holding up minima and weaker sun having less of an effect on maxima. Theres also the problem that the upper air is still almost at its warmest.

You can still get impressive ranges though if you get a calm and clear night with polar maritime or Arctic air in the mix.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Not expecting much.. nights don't tend to get cool down here for a while yet.. We'd be lucky to even record a minimum in single figures for the reliable time frame.. I also find that Spring is the best time for this, especially April. Nights are still chilly and in single figures a lot of the time, but the sun is quite strong

Posted

Yes, Spring is good for diurnal ranges, better than autumn. I keep an eye on Australia over the next few months, they can pull off some good ones.

Posted

Can't remember the exact figures but I think somewhere near Rickmansworth holds the UK record with a slightly sub zero minimum and max in the late 20's

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Can't remember the exact figures but I think somewhere near Rickmansworth holds the UK record with a slightly sub zero minimum and max in the late 20's

It was 1.3C to 29.1C which is a massive range!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It was 1.3C to 29.1C which is a massive range!

Bloody hell, when was that (month + year)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Bloody hell, when was that (month + year)?

29th August 1936 in around 12 hours.

it was quite astonishing at 6am it was 1C but by 9am the next day it was 21C !

Edited by mullender83

Posted

29th August 1936 in around 12 hours.

it was quite astonishing at 6am it was 1C but by 9am the next day it was 21C !

That really is quite incredible. 1c in August on its own is very notable! Even moreso that it is in the south. Guessing temperatures like that in August in the south are very difficult to find in the history books.

But in the space of 12 hours it went from winter woolies to shorts and t-shirt! Remarkable.

Posted

Although spring is probably more conducive a season for giving large diurnal recordings in this country, though surely winter and summer mus be given credit as the seasons when the greatest recording can be achieved.

The August 1986 recording is a good example. However, I seem to recall the greatest recording being found somewhere in Scotland was it Altnaharra in January 2003, didn't they see a minimum of about -16 degrees followed by a maximum of 18 degrees courtesy of a foen effect, giving a range of around 34 degrees... can someone validate this, it seems very plausible all you need is a cold clear night followed by a warm southerly plume.

Posted

Not really the same, but anyhow this shows how the temps dropped 7.c in less than 15minutes, happened today when a shower came post-8968-12524326081133_thumb.jpg

Posted

Not really the same, but anyhow this shows how the temps dropped 7.c in less than 15minutes, happened today when a shower came post-8968-12524326081133_thumb.jpg

I love it when that happens, especially during the wintry season. Say it's about 7c, a shower comes along and the temperature plummets several degrees, you get the exciting possibility of unexpected wintriness!

Posted

I seem to recall the greatest recording being found somewhere in Scotland was it Altnaharra in January 2003, didn't they see a minimum of about -16 degrees followed by a maximum of 18 degrees courtesy of a foen effect, giving a range of around 34 degrees... can someone validate this, it seems very plausible all you need is a cold clear night followed by a warm southerly plume.

Yep ,Ive tried looking for the stats, cant find them at the moment...but I seem to recall it was one of the biggest Diurnal temperature range ever recorded in the Uk. I will try and find the data, unless our very own "MR DATA" will beat me to it.....?? :):D :o :lol: :lol:

Posted

One of the greatest diurnal ranges recorded was at Altnaharra in Dec 1995, immediately after it equalled the record low- 29.3C range according to http://www.booty.org.uk/booty.weather/climate/1975_1999.htm- that means it rose to above 2C during the day so the equal coldest day on record wasn't an ice day! Amazing.

It seems possible to get big ranges at any time of year, though late winter and spring do seem to get the lion's share of them. Most recently here in April 2007 (several nights close to freezing and days in the high teens-low 20s), I also remember February and March 2003 for several bitterly cold nights and mild sunny afternoons.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Im expecting,

Highs of 32c

Then in the evening, There will be storms, Fading away by midnight

Then overnight it will dip to -10 and snow leaving just over 1ft.

By midafternoon, all snow would of melted and evaporated to leave another hot day with 32c.

Rinse, repeat.

:)

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

There could be a fair temperature range over the coming few days here in the Trent valley, possibly as much as 18c. The ground is a little drier now, and as long as the skies stay clear with little wind, we could possibly get as low as 4c or 5c and as high as 21c or 22c.

I doubt we will see the amount of ground frosts noted during September 2003 though, when 5 were recorded here. Conditions were ideal then, following an exceptionally dry August, the ground was like dust, and the air was often clear and of a continental origin.

Posted

These diurnal ranges have got started over here....Christchurch Airport (a few miles from the coast) had a low this morning of -3.5C and a high of 19.5C, giving a range of 23C.

Posted

Looks as though the Big Diurnal range will start from today, 3c in Oxfordshire, and a low at my weather station of 4.7 c ,will be interesting to see what temp we will reach today! :unsure:

Posted

19.8c here today making it a 15c Diurnal range...not bad but Im sure someone somewhere can do better!! :rofl: :huh: :80::p

Posted

Low of 5.7c and high of 18.8c, range of 13.1c, so not a great range.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

18.8c range today- from a low of 1.6c to a high of 20.4c.