Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

White Christmas 2009

Stuart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Yes, it's a bit of fun and a momentary escape from a life that is otherwise pretty crappy.

If only we still had rep, that would be a +1 from me! :shok:

This thread is just to put the various Xmas forecasts on really and then for us lot to moan/laugh at them! :fool:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Thought this was history...think again. Cold, cold winter 'early indicator'. Signs are there.

Rrea00119851226.gif

BFTP

Posted

It will all change at T+96 as it always does. whistling.gif

This reminds me of the Model Discussion Cliche thread we had last year!

Posted

drat the 2-day trend has gone! whistling.gifrofl.gif

Here come the downgrades :whistling: :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hey guys. There was a LP in September 1962 too! And, it wasn't by the Beatles. No sireee!!

You heard it first here on N-W...Next winter's 16-week-long freeze-up will start on December 28th!!!

Don't wait for the Grebes to turn... :unsure: :):)

http://www.netweather.tv/secure/cgi-bin/premium.pl?action=gfsar;sess=b3161942fe0ada5f5d47cb60615ec841

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Not had a very mild Christmas day for a while. The last one was 2003. That was the last occasion a double figure maxima was recorded here. Maybe, statistically we are due another one.

Last Christmas may not have been statistically a mild one but i remember christmas shopping on Christmas eve and being astonished at how mild it was. It seemed so strange that the next day was Christmas day, the day that in tradition is accompanied by ideas of frost and snow yet it felt almost Spring-like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

i tell you what im 100% sure we will not have a white christmas in the southern half of england but 50/50 futher north.

if i see a white christmas here this winter id buy every person who posted a comment in here a pint.

i tell you what im 100% sure we will not have a white christmas in the southern half of england but 50/50 futher north.

if i see a white christmas here this winter id buy every person who posted a comment in here a pint.

well not everybody lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

well not everybody lol.

Looks forward to a pint whistling.gif im in north but i think down south has a slight chance smile.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Looks forward to a pint whistling.gif im in north but i think down south has a slight chance :unsure:

well it looks like you maybe snowed in so sorry pubs will be closed lmao.

but jokes aside alot of white chritmas where mostly around the end of the victorian times end of the mini ice age.:lol:

but to be honest id rather have a super winter lots of snow frosty nights than a white christmas but it would be a added bonus.

Edited by badboy657

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

well it looks like you maybe snowed in so sorry pubs will be closed lmao.

but jokes aside alot of white chritmas where mostly around the end of the victorian times end of the mini ice age.smile.gif

lol ill wait to there open and till im 18 lmao and honestly i think this year is the white christmas one And it will bring back the winters back from long a go as im 14 i havent had a proppa good winter in my life what i can remember so i hope this year will be itdrinks.gifyahoo.gif

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

well not everybody lol.

i will buy you one if it snowed in warwick on christmas daynonono.gif

Posted

The second update has come:

Probabilities

Northern areas of the are considered to have a 35% chance of a white Christmas.

Southern areas of the are considered to have a 35% chance of a white Christmas.

10% down on 5 days ago! :unsure:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

The second update has come:

Probabilities

10% down on 5 days ago! wallbash.gif

lol, it seems that forecasting a specific day more than 3 months in advance is tougher than the weather outlook think. even if that day is christmas:P

I think there's a slight chance up here but fife hasn't done well out of snow in the last few years compared to anywhere further west, north, south, well you get the picture. In the mean time i'll be watching the ridiculous lrfs with a mix of amusement, caution and maybe a pinch of optimism.

Edited by cwpiper

Posted

Forecast headline

The second forecast update for Christmas 2009 reduces the forecast probability of a white Christmas for the UK, but still suggests a higher probability than in most years. We think there is a significant possibility of the UK being covered by a cold north or north easterly airstream with pressure low to the south east of the country. This would suggest that eastern areas would be most likely to see sleet or snow showers.

Probabilities

Forecast issued

Update 1, 02/09/2009

Update 2, 07/09/2009

http://www.theweathe...20forecast.aspx

Edited by Stuart

Posted

I would say that we have about 5% chance of a white Christmas this year, this figure is based on the fact that in nearly 50 years of living in the UK I've only seen about three, that includes of course the 60s late 70s and early 80s. The less snowy 90s and 2000s reduce the percentage further. My prediction is for a mild day, winds from the SW but mainly dry.

Posted

I would say we are due for a cold Christmas. I know we had a cold, zonal flow for Xmas 2004 that brought snow for many, but you have to go back to 2001 for the last proper cold Christmas, with northerly wind lasting for several days. So for what its worth, my hunch would be for a cold Christmas this year with the cold potentially lasting through to New Year.

Thats done it now! :lol:

Posted

I would say we are due for a cold Christmas. I know we had a cold, zonal flow for Xmas 2004 that brought snow for many, but you have to go back to 2001 for the last proper cold Christmas, with northerly wind lasting for several days. So for what its worth, my hunch would be for a cold Christmas this year with the cold potentially lasting through to New Year.

Thats done it now! :blink:

fingers crossed :)

Unfortunately, this morning it seems we are due a Spanish Plume! :)

post-8218-12525604964222.txt

Posted

Unfortunately, this morning it seems we are due a Spanish Plume! :drinks:

It's going to be one heck of a roller-coaster ride between now and Christmas! :unsure: :clap:

Posted

I would say we are due for a cold Christmas. I know we had a cold, zonal flow for Xmas 2004 that brought snow for many, but you have to go back to 2001 for the last proper cold Christmas, with northerly wind lasting for several days.

You mean the Christmas period rather than the day itself, Gavin? Christmas day 2004 was colder overall than Christmas Day 2001

Christmas Day 2001 CET: 4.5

Christmas Day 2004 CET: 2.0