Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Some Advice

Posted

Hi all.

I have set-up a dedicated computer, connected to the internet in preperation for getting a weather station. It also has a UPS (battery backup connected) which is nice.

I am planning on getting a La Crosse WS2350 if not for the major factor that it runs off power other than batteries.

Eventually, I'll add a webcam too and can start pushing to the web very quickly once I have the correct bits (ie/ a station and software!).

A few things:

* From what I can gather, I can run the whole thing off DC power (plug in the main unit and then hard wire the rest of the sensors). Is that correct or does the hygrometer need batteries anyway?

* The downside is that I would like to use a UV sensor too. Looks like I can't do this here. Any way around this?

* Any more stations out there (will spend around £200) which are mains only, or don't use many batteries?

* I will use WeatherDisplay and the 'plugin' WeatherDisplayLive (Premium) as I really like the interface. Will the following work/display on the Internet if I buy a WS2350 and use it with WeatherDisplayLive:

1) Humidity meter

2) Cloud base

3) Moon phase

4) Barometer

Many thanks.

Oliver, Wiltshire, UK.

Posted

If you hardwire the WS2300 you don't need batteries in the sensors (or the console), but it's a good idea to put them in the console, so if there is a power outage the console will still record and display weather data. AFAIK having batteries in the thermo-hygro sensor will reduce the drain on the console batteries if power fails even when hard wired in.

Sorry can't help you on a UV sensor or the weather display software, as the WS2350 I have is running with the open source Open2300 suite of applications with a Linux PC. The Linux PC also runs a couple of webcams:

lady.jpeg

ssc.jpeg

All done with free open source apps, drivers and some small shell/php scripts to tie it all together.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Hi all.

I have set-up a dedicated computer, connected to the internet in preperation for getting a weather station. It also has a UPS (battery backup connected) which is nice.

I am planning on getting a La Crosse WS2350 if not for the major factor that it runs off power other than batteries.

Eventually, I'll add a webcam too and can start pushing to the web very quickly once I have the correct bits (ie/ a station and software!).

A few things:

* From what I can gather, I can run the whole thing off DC power (plug in the main unit and then hard wire the rest of the sensors). Is that correct or does the hygrometer need batteries anyway?

* The downside is that I would like to use a UV sensor too. Looks like I can't do this here. Any way around this?

* Any more stations out there (will spend around £200) which are mains only, or don't use many batteries?

* I will use WeatherDisplay and the 'plugin' WeatherDisplayLive (Premium) as I really like the interface. Will the following work/display on the Internet if I buy a WS2350 and use it with WeatherDisplayLive:

1) Humidity meter

2) Cloud base

3) Moon phase

4) Barometer

Many thanks.

Oliver, Wiltshire, UK.

Hi Oliver...In the mean time, please could you put a more accurate location in your profile???

And, a warm welcome to Net-Weather!! :):)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Hi

About UV meter ,you can buy one pcb from hobby boards

http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=1567

And with 1-wire system ,and with WD software ,you can upload the data about it.