Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CardiffStorm

Petrol & Diesel Going Up By 2P/litre

Im sure many of you already know that fuel is going up by 2p a litre at midnight tonight but what do you think of it, is it needed? Will it affect you?

Here's an article if you dont already know about it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8230185.stm

typical

in a recession and the gov puts up the duty, (gov obsessed with environment lol)

I use bp ultimate derv in my car and I dont have to fill up as often :rofl:

At least it will make Labour even more unpopular, can't be a bad thing come May. What a ridiculous move though, petrol is nearly 70% tax, wouldn't be so bad if it was reinvested in the roads!

great so be good idea to fill up 2nite?

wouldn't be so bad if it was reinvested in the roads!

Totally agree, I wouldnt mind paying a little bit more if the money was being spent on roads or even on improving public transport but the extra money will probably end up going to a load of chavs that want thousands in benefits. :D

does our government care?

I think we all know the answer to that one!

I agree jamo_s, I use public transport a lot, and the prices are disgusting. The government could use the fuel duty to subsidise the insanely high fare prices for trains and buses. It costs me £1.90 to go 4 miles by bus!! But as you say, it mainly goes towards the spongers and paying off the national debt!

They could even use it to subsidise the M6 Toll prices, those are beyond disgusting. I think it's £4.50 for a car now, who in the right mind would pay that? It is completely empty most of the time (I live right by it), surely they would make more money by dropping the toll prices?

Morrison's have already announced this won't be passed on at the forecourt - so would imagine all supermarkets will do the same.

Its just another excuse for the government to get more money out of us and waste it when a lot of people are unemployed i hope someone will stand up to them soon before petrol gets too high price

Morrison's have already announced this won't be passed on at the forecourt - so would imagine all supermarkets will do the same.

Definately. Its a good ground for a battle at the pumps.

What I am wondering though, is whether the supermarkets have already increased the price gradullay over the recent months. I've certainly noticed an increase of around 3-5p per litre at most supermarkets recently (last 4-6 weeks).

Only til Sept 6th though! Then Morrisons will include it.

If we get a price war again it will be brilliant, at the last price war I think it went down to about 92p in my area.

Well the roads are very good round here, so at least it gets invested round here, however they don't like street lights!. But as soon as you hit Yorkshire (partially Sheffield) you know about it lol

Amazing how the government decides to stick the prices up when people are already struggling for money!

I'm not against the concept of fuel price rises in itself, given that we're talking consumption of a finite and pollutive resource and it's good to incentivise cleaner alternatives.

However, regarding fuel consumption carrot and stick is the best way forward and at the moment we're not seeing enough of the carrot. Too little of the extra tax is wisely invested in public transport, cycle routes, and/or cleaner ways of powering cars. Simply increasing the price of petrol and being done with hits nearly everybody- for example if petrol is very expensive, food prices go up, and ironically, so do bus fares... It also has negative social impacts as many people feel compelled to keep driving to work (so congestion at peak times doesn't change much), and cut out "non-essential" car journeys, which usually means social trips (rather than those genuinely useless journeys round the corner to the shops).

The current 2p/litre isn't much to complain about IMHO given that our petrol is now no more expensive than over much of the continent and fuel taxes have gone up below inflation, overall, in the last decade. But the escalator, on the other hand... can the government be trusted to invest the money appropriately to bring in nice juicy carrots to supplement the stick with? I don't think so.

I'm not against the concept of fuel price rises in itself, given that we're talking consumption of a finite and pollutive resource and it's good to incentivise cleaner alternatives.

However, regarding fuel consumption carrot and stick is the best way forward and at the moment we're not seeing enough of the carrot. Too little of the extra tax is wisely invested in public transport, cycle routes, and/or cleaner ways of powering cars. Simply increasing the price of petrol and being done with hits nearly everybody- for example if petrol is very expensive, food prices go up, and ironically, so do bus fares... It also has negative social impacts as many people feel compelled to keep driving to work (so congestion at peak times doesn't change much), and cut out "non-essential" car journeys, which usually means social trips (rather than those genuinely useless journeys round the corner to the shops).

The current 2p/litre isn't much to complain about IMHO given that our petrol is now no more expensive than over much of the continent and fuel taxes have gone up below inflation, overall, in the last decade. But the escalator, on the other hand... can the government be trusted to invest the money appropriately to bring in nice juicy carrots to supplement the stick with? I don't think so.

We currently have the 11th highest price of unleaded fuel in Europe, and the 2nd highest price for diesel. Oil is only around $48 per barrel as opposed to over $100 per barrel a year ago. Now considering it costs the same amount to refine as it did a year ago, why has the price risen again before the tax rise?

2p/litre is not much to somebody who doesn't drive, but when you have to use a vehicle for work, it becomes a bigger problem.

We currently have the 11th highest price of unleaded fuel in Europe, and the 2nd highest price for diesel. Oil is only around $48 per barrel as opposed to over $100 per barrel a year ago. Now considering it costs the same amount to refine as it did a year ago, why has the price risen again before the tax rise?

2p/litre is not much to somebody who doesn't drive, but when you have to use a vehicle for work, it becomes a bigger problem.

Oil is at $70 a barrel and has been hovering around this level for a while now, the pound has strengthed against the dollar in the last few months so effectively making it slightly cheaper. Anyway 5 years ago petrol was 70p/litre and oil was $85 a barrel...so you tell me why petrol is now £1.10/litre?..so if oil were to rise back to $150 how much a litre then?

Not good news for me, i'll be driving 120-140 miles a day for the next 6 months commuting to my new job. It will get to a point where it wont be worth working anymore and i'd be better off joining the benefit fraudsters :lol: