Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PIT

Grrr Bsod

Well my 64 bit Vista gave a nice blue screen of death irq_not equal which is either a driver problem or duff memory. Last profile no difference safe mode just the same.

Annoying this also happened when I was fixing my backup server and was in the process of copying the backups back.

Tried chkdsk /f just in case fixed a few errors but the problem remained.

Next stage memtest and I left that running for a few hours and passed without any problems.

Rebooted to Windows Xp and tried to get to the minidump to see if that would tell me anything. Although it said it created one there wasn't any. Grrrrrr.

Next stage renamed the likely culprits such as eset nod32 ATI folders etc. can't load the drivers if it can't find them.

Still the same.

So I had to wait a bit longer for the backup files to finish copying.

Deletes the whole drive and did a full restore and back up and running.

However I don't know what caused the problem which I don't like. I hadn't installed anything new so a bit baffled. Regular backups now for a while me thinks.

I can sympathise, Pit. I tend to get the BSOD once every other month just lately.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Then empties memory dump so then have to manually shut down and then reboot again. Strange that as I do run CCleaner, Ad-aware Anniversary Edition and Spybot S&D alongside my McAfee AV every other week. (And all are up to date!)

Otherwise... wallbash.gifunknw.gif

Or could be that my PC is showing signs of old age. (It's only 3 years and 7 months old!)

Edit : I use Windows XP SP3!

Phil.

I can sympathise, Pit. I tend to get the BSOD once every other month just lately.

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Then empties memory dump so then have to manually shut down and then reboot again. Strange that as I do run CCleaner, Ad-aware Anniversary Edition and Spybot S&D alongside my McAfee AV every other week. (And all are up to date!)

Otherwise... wallbash.gifunknw.gif

Or could be that my PC is showing signs of old age. (It's only 3 years and 7 months old!)

Edit : I use Windows XP SP3!

Phil.

I dual boot so which gave me access to the drive. Sadly vista has gone backward in the restore department. Under xp you could do a manual restore which would have got me back up and running within five minutes.

Microsoft have got a few things wrong with Vista. System restore and sysprep which are both a step backward in ease of use.

The other problem with this machine is that it's an overclocked one so the memory may be struggling a bit. One of these overclocked bundles from overclockers.co.uk.

I've never trusted Vista from the tales of woe that I've heard in recent months. Never will. And now Windows 7 is due for release. (Oh good, more bugs and other new sinister exploitations that will probably kill your machine indefinitaley!)

I also don't recommend overclocking. Best way to burn out your motherboard.

My system has 2x160Gb Maxtor hard drives. I can partition individually, but rather both run independently. Makes for faster boot up. 1Gb of SDRam also.

Incidentally... Be aware of the new trojan virus doing the rounds which is... (And be aware of this Paul and Karl... JS/Exploit-Packed.c.gen)

My AV (McAfee) software picked up on this twice last night. Nothing to worry about but certain advert software packages will cause this error message to be revealed if your system has a background running AV.

Nothing to worry about as I say but be aware anyway.

Phil.

Well my 64 bit Vista gave a nice blue screen of death irq_not equal which is either a driver problem or duff memory. Last profile no difference safe mode just the same.

Annoying this also happened when I was fixing my backup server and was in the process of copying the backups back.

Tried chkdsk /f just in case fixed a few errors but the problem remained.

Next stage memtest and I left that running for a few hours and passed without any problems.

Rebooted to Windows Xp and tried to get to the minidump to see if that would tell me anything. Although it said it created one there wasn't any. Grrrrrr.

Next stage renamed the likely culprits such as eset nod32 ATI folders etc. can't load the drivers if it can't find them.

Still the same.

So I had to wait a bit longer for the backup files to finish copying.

Deletes the whole drive and did a full restore and back up and running.

However I don't know what caused the problem which I don't like. I hadn't installed anything new so a bit baffled. Regular backups now for a while me thinks.

noticed you've an overclocked rig....overclocked graphics card as well??....could well be your problem...just a thought, download ATI's overclock utility (if you havent already got it) wind down the GPU memory clock to factory defualt and re-boot...

Graphics card is stock ATI 4890. Up the memory voltage a bit after looking at OCZ forums.

My own view it's the memory although you can leave it running memtest overnight and it comes back okay.

The only other thing that goes wrong is Deep Fritz 11 which sometimes says I've crashed but carries on running without a glitch.

CPU sits around 75C despite running at 4 gig and if disable hyper threading runs at 65c at full load.

Not missed a beat since I restored it.

Another bsod today but a different one. At least i could into safe mode and it rebooted normally after that. Just updated some drivers but probably won't make difference.