Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Was The Summer For You?

The best bits of this year were from 18.05.2009 to 12.06.2009 but we were in the South of France then,

the end of June to the beginning of July in this country when I started to get excited. Since then although we have had the occasional day, or perhaps 2 or 3 days at a time when we have had some nice decent summer weather, the rest of the period has been somewhat disappointing.

Hopefully there will be a resurgence of summer for us for the month following 15.09.2009 but we will be back in the South of France.

Hoping for something better in 2010, in the meantime I expect we will have to put up with a grey damp dark winter which would be the normal par for the course. Hope I am wrong and we get a mainly bright and frosty winter with the odd blizzard to add interest.

Posted

Hi Folks

Not been on NW all summer, been working flat out 7 days a week...

An interesting summer for me, being based either in SE England or SW France which meant I probably had a very good summer, with the exception of July which in both locations was awful, (grass stayed green in SW France until 2nd week of August because of all the July storms/rain). London and the South East had a pretty good summer, August was amazing in France and pretty good in London, though I must admit every time I ventured north or West of the M25 the weather picture changed, so I feel for those of you that do not live in the SE of England, it has been pretty average to say the least. Mind you summer is not over yet and I am hoping for a early Indian summer over the coming couple of weeks, not quite time to put away the shorts just yet, we just have to get past this weekend first.

Of course looking forward to what winter may have in store for us this year, cold sunny frost and the dumping of snow is what I hope for but we'll probably get wall to wall dull dampness with the odd cold spell, but I want to enjoy the summer for a bit longer yet....

Cheers

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

June: Slightly warmer and slightly sunnier than average.

July: Pretty mcuh average all round.

August: Slightly warmer and sunnier than average but over 200% of average rainfall.

Sept? Already almost twice the average Sept rainfall. :whistling:

Posted

In a word wet, as confirmed today in the Met Office Report for the summer. Note the deep blue concentration showing nearly twice above normal rainfall here in the Lake District and N Pennines, W North Yorkshire dales area... the only fairly credible month was June, July and August were very poor indeed.. would be interesting to see a sunshine levels map as well from the Met office - I guess this would also show below average levels in this part of the world, also the mean temperatures masks what have been at or just below average maximums which is what counts in the summer, the mins don't mean much to people.. consequently the Met office are only really showing half the story, the true picture would paint a worse summary for the north and west and south west.

In a word wet, as confirmed today in the Met Office Report for the summer. Note the deep blue concentration showing nearly twice above normal rainfall here in the Lake District and N Pennines, W North Yorkshire dales area... the only fairly credible month was June, July and August were very poor indeed.. would be interesting to see a sunshine levels map as well from the Met office - I guess this would also show below average levels in this part of the world, also the mean temperatures masks what have been at or just below average maximums which is what counts in the summer, the mins don't mean much to people.. consequently the Met office are only really showing half the story, the true picture would paint a worse summary for the north and west and south west.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/anomacts/# gives all the regional variation required.

August was drier than normal here, despite an above average number or rain days, this shows the number of damp days where thee rainfall totals were still small.

Posted

A pretty average Summer I would say on the whole and somewhat better than the last two, but still one of the cooler ones of the 00's, even though it was above average temperature wise. July was a bit of a washout, but I think that June and August made up for it somewhat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The Met Office has put its sunshine map up and it shows Cumbria at close to average sunshine, though sunshine is at 5-15% below average over south Lancashire and Merseyside. However, the monthly breakdown gives a more representative picture, showing that June was a sunny month but July and August were dull.

Interesting that Cleadon is shown as having near average sunshine but just to the north it was a dull summer while just to the south it was quite sunny. Norwich had slightly above normal sunshine as I expected. Pete Tattum's positive comments about the summer are backed up by the sunshine map which shows the Inverness area at approximately 25% above average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

A fairly average summer overall in this part of the world.

June was warm and very dry, with a short but hot spell where one day we breached 30C.

July was poor by any standard frequently wet with about double the expected rainfall.

August was bland overall, a couple of wet spells early on, then mostly dry, never particularly hot but neither particularly cold either.

No storms at all through the summer months despite several promising forecasts, in short not too bad could have done better!