Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

How Was The Summer For You?

Posted

With summer almost over (July and August), I thought I would share my thoughts on the numbers for me, perhaps you could do the same

Days without rain: 6 out of 62

Highest temperature: 21C

Days over 21C:1

Lowest temperature 8C

Barbecues: 0 (none!)

Trips to seaside: 1 ( for 2 hours)

Subjective summary: Utter rubbish, equals the dreadful summers of 2008 and 2007. Good for slugs and moss, little else.

Edited by snowingman

Posted

sm-it does of course depend where we live this summer perhaps more than most.

West and north have generally had the worst of the weather with the south and east doing best. Obviously there will be variations even on that very broad brush treatment.

Posted

sm-it does of course depend where we live this summer perhaps more than most.

West and north have generally had the worst of the weather with the south and east doing best. Obviously there will be variations even on that very broad brush treatment.

Posted

Well, there was a week or so in June when temperatures reached around 31 degrees celsius at times. But the rest of the summer was rubbish except for the odd day

Posted

Adding to Mr Holmes post about location,here in Central Southern England with the exception of July it has been on the dry to very dry side since March with rainfall totals a good bit down on all the average monthly quotas.

One thing has been the amount of windy days that there have been in itself not a problem,but as a gardener the dry plus wind plus warmth have given me many a headache in terms of just keeping gardens especially lawns in decent order

It is ironic in many ways that Febs massive snow melt here got certain shrubs and especially hedges away to a flying start in fact hedge work in terms of cutting numbers has been way above average all year.

Posted

We had a few dry sunny weeks during early summer, very little in the way of storm activity though. No proper storms overhead and with the last month or so being a washout i don't rate this summer very high!

Posted
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland
  • Location: Coleraine,Macosquin,County Londonderry, Northern Ireland

rubbishh unfair and wet! shows how rubbish ni summers are!

Posted

Better than the previous two but thats not saying much as they were very poor overall. Still a less than brilliant summer with a summer index in the 190s

Worst summers for Manchester

1954 143

1907 147

1956 155

1912 156

1924 158

2008 168

1987 169

1946 170

1909 171

1931 173

1978 173

1980 173

1920 174

1923 174

2007 174

1927 175

1948 176

1938 177

1922 178

1985 180

1958 184

1972 185

1916 188

1986 189

1965 189

1910 190

1936 190

1988 191

1966 192

1998 192

1953 193

1963 194

1993 194

2009 194 up to 30th August

1902 195

1915 196

1981 196

Posted

In all honesty its been a good one here. It actually turned out to be the 4th warmest in the last 30 years, with temperatures a degree above the 1971-2000 average. July was very wet but June and August have been dry, the former recording just 12.7mm. We've also had just one single figure minimum since mid-June and just 11 days failed to make 20C in July and August. I dont have the means of recording sunshine hours but it has been far from dull.

It hasnt had any really warm days (highest is 25.6C), however like spring it has just been almost consistently above average.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

From the farming and gardening viewpoint --

This summer not as bad as last 2 years, but very poor nevertheless. We had a slow start. July was very wet and Aug sunless so we have thus lost the top off the summer as far as growing weather is concerned. Garden crops very small. Late grass slow and fields very wet.

May very wet and cold. 131.9mm (av is 85.2mm)

June lovely, lots of warmth and sunshine. 58.5mm. Everything looking well.

July very wet. Double average rain. 208.7mm. First week in July was hot. Top max of summer 28.7C on 2nd. After the first week the weather broke and all went down hill.

August. First week decent but thereafter poor. About average rain but very cloudy, so ground rarely dries. So far 117.4mm. A lot more to come today yet I daresay.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Max temp: 29.7c

Barbecues had: 4

Barbecues had in barbecue weather: 2

Most notable features of summer: high rainfall and lack of high maxima

Overall not a hideous summer like the last two but certainly a long way to go to be back to 'modern summer norm' that we've been spoilt with until 2006 ended.

June was mixed with some cool, damp periods but also a short (3 days) very warm period giving one of our only proper 'hot' periods.

July was dreadful, after that heat ended. It rained for a large part of the month and spoilt parts of our holiday, completely writing off two days and providing us with at least a shower on all other days (except the day we drove down!). It never felt warm the whole week we were away. The month lacked sunshine too as it was either raining or it was cloudy between rain bands.

August was an improvement with a sharp drop in rainfall. Felt like many recent Augusts - never hot (bar one day) but rarely chilly, lots of cloud with fleeting sunshine. Overall a warm month from high night minima and a general muggy feel.

Insect wise - very few mosquitoes, but lots of wasps & far, far too many slugs & snails which have destroyed several of my plants.

Plant wise - tomatoes mostly ruined by a fungus that is killing them in large numbers. High rainfall to blame I'm sure. Chillies - got some but they're very small & not red. Brought them inside now to try to ripen.

Perhaps 2010 will break the recent rut of nice springs into very wet and cool high summers into dry, mild late summers. If nothing else its getting boring!

Posted

Haven't had a chance to collate the info, my feelings are the temps were just below average and the amount of sunshine hours, well below average.

No of days with the car roof down - average (it only stays up when its raining!!!)

No of BBQ's - above average (the new barbie has been pressed into service 3 to 4 days a week, every week)

So generally poor, but I think we try and make the most of it. I should have some data next month to establish how much below previous years it has been here on the Sunshine Coast!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Overall i think the summer was quite good down here. July wasnt great and August hasnt been exceptional but the dry theme has continued again and quite a few sunny days. We had a fair share of storms but they all stopped after June! The June Heatwave brought temperatures between 30-32c here. :lol:

So to sum up it has been better than the last 2 summers even though July was rubbish but the rest of summer hasnt been too bad here. :)

Posted

Apalling here...not for rain but lack of decent weather and temps..

Agree with J.H....depend's where you live...

to me it's been 3 years on the run....for my area..

Its not been an average Summer to me....

What happeend to the 70's summer's,since the 90's the Summer's have slumped with long blue sky day's.

Prove's it with the lack of Spanish Plume's these day's compared to long ago

BBQ's 1

Storm's with heat 0

Suntan here 0

Edited by dogs32

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Not great for me. Very hot and sunny periods at start of June and July, other than that it's been showerey and mild for the whole summer practically. Not as bad as 2007 or 2008 but to be honest it would take a lot to beat those!

The nice spells aside, an average week would have 1 sunny day, 5 showery days, 1 wet day. What I have noticed is that it has been very breezy for much of the time.

Posted

Horrendous. Just horrendous. Nowhere near enough cloud,rain and cool temps. Looks like that lot out west will miss us - again. So near yet so far,as usual. Wish summer with all it's attendant gunk would clear off ASAP and let autumn get on with it.... Moan,whinge etc etc.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well it was slightly better than last year but not by much. I have found it a frustrating end to summer watching the southeast get glorious sun while we struggle to reach 20c shrouded in hill fog day after day at times. wallbash.gif

I do feel for northerners though who have had it even worse.unknw.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

A very poor Summer this year as dogs has stated.. and as for the thunderstorms, absoloutly nothing!! :mellow: Spring time provided a little sunshine,but that's about it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

An acceptable June, a disappointing July and a wonderful August is how i'd describe the summer here. What has been very noticeable is the amount of average days temperature wise, especially during July. With the exception of a few days the temperature exceeded 20c on every day of the month but never more than 24c with the exception of the 5th. August saw more hot days with the highest temperature of the month being 25.6c which was also the highest of the summer. Overall a decent summer but could do better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Apalling here...not for rain but lack of decent weather and temps..

Agree with J.H....depend's where you live...

to me it's been 3 years on the run....for my area..

Its not been an average Summer to me....

What happeend to the 70's summer's,since the 90's the Summer's have slumped with long blue sky day's.

Prove's it with the lack of Spanish Plume's these day's compared to long ago

BBQ's 1

Storm's with heat 0

Suntan here 0

We started with no real proper winters like the 60s 70s and 80s, now we talk about the summers, pleaseeeeeee

I was in Cheltenham in 2001 and it was hot for weeks in the 90s and 2003 as well and there are other examples.

Here in Oxfordshire its been average . Of course 'average' for some would mean 'rubbish'

Its very regional of course this year.

Posted

I'm giving this summer 7 out of 10.

June- A good deal of dry bright weather with only occasional outbreaks of rain.

There were 2 warmer spells, one at each end of the month.

July- Though nearly double the average for rain (87.4 mm), this was largely convective with 7 thunder days recorded.

Temps were close to or slightly above average.

August- An improving picture from quite early in the month as the NW/SE split took hold, mostly fine & dry with rainfall well below average.

Temps were mostly above average with some influence from warm sectors.

It was August that swung it here, if we'd had the same weather as further West then the (entirely subjective)

summer score would have been more like a 5...

Posted

It is still wonderful. Long, dry, warm - never hot not reached 30c here, averagely sunny.

For consistent warmth, amazing - 82 consecutive days 19.5c+, 91% of days since 1st June greater than 21c, 2 sunless days since 1st May. 85% of days since 1st May dry or trace rainfall.

Last day to have a max below 21c was 19th July

All in all fairly spectacular, if no long spells of heat and sunshine and I am talking 25c+ and blue skies, which have characterised many other summers in the last 15 years around here.

Edited by Nick.F

Posted

Relative from Huntingdon (Cambs) has been up here over this weekend. He was astonished to see how wet the land was here at present. And yesterday it was suitably bucketing down to impress him even more (15.4mm in the afternoon and eve). He stood in awe watching the stair rods. He's been visiting for donkeys years but has never seen things so drenched and trashed. He grumbles about not being able to keep up with his garden watering at home! Is there not some boundary area between the NW and the SE where the summer has been just wonderfully excellent?