Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mondy

Tuesday night's football violence

Lol Mondy, why does there almost always have to be an anti-english slant to things?!

The hooliganism is appalling, but a. it's thankfully a very rare occurrence these days in the UK and b. there are far worse issues with it elsewhere in europe.

Check which team's 'fans' are at fault and threaten to drop them a league, or more. That said, West Ham vs. Millwall is a battle waiting to happen; did they not have the forethought to install metal detectors at the nearby stations and swamp the streets with police?

And as a Chelski fan, I know I'm on a sticky wicket in saying this, but does anyone think that the awful days of the 80s with fans battling police should be allowed back? The thugs need something that will put them off risking 'their' club going to a lower division. Disqualification might not be fair on the club, given that they're not responsible for out-of-ground actions of their membership, but it may be the only option to disrupt the activities of some 'fans'.

Bah.

Hope the stabbed man survives.

Yet again, the game of football is tarnished by thuggery south of the border. Jokers.

http://news.bbc.co.u...don/8221451.stm

A fan told the BBC it was the worst hooliganism he had seen in 30 years.

Would you like salt or vinegar with that chip on your shoulder? And it's not like Rangers - Celtic matches have always resembled tea parties. Also, did you forget the Rangers fans in Manchester a year or so ago? Well, I guess it was still south of the border...

Otherwise, it is kind of expected really. It's disgusting. I don't envy how the police must have felt seeing that come out of the hat. I used to be a West Ham fan (Mum's from there), thank God I'm not anymore.

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Why oh Why should West Ham be allowed to play anymore games in front of a crowd!!!!

This is embarressing to English Football......

Kick West Ham out the cup .....dock them 25 points...fine them 1million.............This is a disgrace

You are alive, Paul! You didn't receive my PM then yesterday ?

Let's quote Radio 5 Live as at 22:33 this evening.

"a really sad night for football"

wallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gifwallbash.gif

Why oh Why should West Ham be allowed to play anymore games in front of a crowd!!!!

Kick West Ham out the cup .....dock them 25 points...fine them 1million.............This is a disgrace

Just watching the scenes on Sky Sports News...they are an absolute disgrace to football.

They should be kicked out and made to play all home games for the rest of the season behind closed doors.

Why are you only blaming West Ham? According to reports, the Milwall fans were up to their neck in it too and arguably provoked them (Milwall are notorious remember).

I reckon if teams were demoted leagues because of the few idiots who perpetuated thuggery, it might actually give some of the thugs an incentive to keep doing it. For instance when I was at school, some people used to deliberately misbehave in the hope that the teachers would react by punishing everyone, and by and large the teachers did, and this in turn encouraged them to do it all the more. Of course there are other thugs who aren't motivated by that kind of thing and who would hate to have their clubs demoted, but overall I think such a policy wouldn't have much effect on hooliganism in the long run and would have a decidedly poor "return" (in the sense of punishing a lot of innocent people for the sake of a small risk reduction).

Scotland is every bit as bad for hooliganism as England- look at the Celtic-Rangers rivalry for instance. "Close to home", Newcastle and Sunderland both have problems with hooliganism. It is a genuine and serious problem- and I'm not sure how best to go about addressing it. Strict enforcement and stringent punishments against the worst offenders should certainly be part of the solution though.

On Sky Sports, it looks like the majority of the trouble in the ground was actually caused by West Ham fans from all stands invading the pitch...

Yet again, the game of football is tarnished by thuggery south of the border. Jokers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8221451.stm

A fan told the BBC it was the worst hooliganism he had seen in 30 years.

Football not tarnished this side of the border then Delta?

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/west-central/108059-rangers-fan-jailed-for-football-violence/

Lets be honest here,walk around most towns after an old firm match and you will witness violence. A lot of jokers here too.

They knew that there would be trouble tonight.....bet the new possible owners are well proud of this clubaggressive.gifaggressive.gif

I totally agree in making West Ham play behind closed doors for the rest of the season.

From TV Footage it looks like the Millwall Fans actually behaved themselves inside the groundcc_confused.gif yet outside...who knows

Why are you only blaming West Ham? According to reports, the Milwall fans were up to their neck in it too and arguably provoked them (Milwall are notorious remember).

Without question, both clubs should be penalised with SUBSTANTIAL fines, and West Ham thrown out of the competition altogether!! I am not sure how Millwall (as a club) can be culpable - they cannot control people who wish to turn up in Millwall colours, but are really just low life criminals. Who however West Ham let in, and fail to control, IS their responsibility!!

They failed to control their fans and players - the low life West Ham player who had his photo taken with a pitch raider! Idiot should be slapped with a very LENGHTHY BAN AND VERY SEVERE FINE!!!

What happened at this match highlights the absolute scumbag lowlife that exist in our country - those people should be completely and utterly ashamed with themselves, and if identified, thrown in prison!!

The government should get involved here IMO - and deal with this outrageously pathetic behaviour, as the aptly named FA do just that, SWEET FA!!!!

Lol Mondy, why does there almost always have to be an anti-english slant to things?!

The hooliganism is appalling, but a. it's thankfully a very rare occurrence these days in the UK and b. there are far worse issues with it elsewhere in europe.

The minute I saw the title to the thread, I just knew Mondy would be the one responsible for the title.

Edit - I see a mod has removed the anti-English slant to the title - probably just as well!

Have changed it now SR! Merged with another identical thread so felt it only fair to start a fresh :D

Do continue... :D

Have changed it now SR! Merged with another identical thread so felt it only fair to start a fresh smile.gif

Do continue... biggrin.gif

Well, if nothing else, its proved that the NW rating/reputation system isnt all up to scratch - Mondy actually got voted by someone as posting something well balanced, well thought out, with a wealth of knowledge on the subject. Scary.

why oh why was this game not played outside of london at a netural venue?

That's a silly comment re south of the border. Rangers and Celtic fans and Dundee Utd and Dundee fans are just as bad when their teams play each other a lot of the time.

It is just like Green Street though isn't it? Drawn in the cup, fights at the tube station and fans running onto the pitch.

Terrible though in this day and age some people still can't be civilised and accept football for what it is; a game!

The minute I saw the title to the thread, I just knew Mondy would be the one responsible for the title.

Edit - I see a mod has removed the anti-English slant to the title - probably just as well!

What, Mondy's an Anglophobe? Really?

Evening SR.

The FA policy is probably aimed at allowing local derbies to get maximum bums on seats revenue even when they know there may be trouble because neither they nor the clubs have to pick up the bill for the policing outside the ground: most of it comes from central taxation/council tax/tax for London mayor in this case. They're supposed to liaise with the police so that sufficient policing is provided both inside and outside the ground, but there does seem to have been a massive failure this evening.

They are indeed. I remember there being trouble locally when they last played Northampton Town at home.

Watching the scenes inside and outside of Upton Park this evening on the TV almost makes me ashamed to be British. Barbarians, the lot of them. All over a game, a mediocre one at that. Now rugby, that's a proper game. And rugby fans seldom behave in this abhorrent manner.

from radio 5 live.

man to riot police man - is this a safe way to go?

riot pilice man - no where is safe to go tonight!

tony steward on radio 5 live - some of the stewards where scared of going to the game.

In recent years, English fans have improved their act considerably and I am speaking as a neutral, they are now far better than some parts of the continent especially countries like Italy.

Just listening to Radio 5 Live as I type and I agree with all the callers comments so far.

Back to the bad old days it seems. Why, as suggested the game not be played at a neutral venue is beyond my comprehension. The warning bells should have sounded when the draw was made a couple of weeks ago.

Has no-one at the FA STILL learn't anything from years ago?

Phil.