1. 1. What is thundery rain?

• Thunderstorm like rain, thunder HAS to be heard
    • Thunderstorm like rain possible without thunder
    • A very heavy shower but with no thunder
    • I DON'T CARE!!!!!!!!
    • Other
    • Proper thunderstorm

Posted

NO NO NO ! If rainfall is sporadic in nature, sometimes torrential but with no thunder, then it must be called sporadic, sometimes torrential rain. Why would the word thundery be used to describe rain with no thunder ?

This thread is becoming hilarious !

Please, Please would somebody on Netweather, back me up. I'm going crazy here.

I'll back you up :D

I've always been confused why people use the word 'thundery' to describe something that isn't thundery?

For example, if someone goes into a shop and asks for a blue pen, and the assistant gives them a red pen 'because it had a blue label on', is that not the same thing as using the word 'thundery'?

The only similarities between thundery rain and a thunderstorm/thundery shower is the fact that the rain is of similar intensity, nowt to do with eletrical activity!:pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Like I said, the terms aren't official, so really it comes down to individual intepretation. The symbol you show is to indicate a 'thundery shower', which as you say, is misleading because it has a lightning bolt.

But as I've said, if a day is forecast for heavy showers, the forecaster will also describe the intensity of the showers, for example "..possibly thundery showers" with "the odd rumble of thunder" If thunder is likely, they will say so.

The term thundery, is to describe the intensity of the rain, hence the reason it is called thundery. It's a unofficial descriptive term to give a more accurate illustration of what the rain will be like.

Does that clear things up a tad?... :D

So Wintry showers do not need to contain snow or sleet, just that on a cold day the rain has to wiggle down for the sky like it? :pardon:

Edited by Harry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Let's wait for the experts to arrive? :D

So Wintry showers do not need to contain snow or sleet, just that on a cold day the rain has to wiggle down for the sky like it? :pardon:

I think that to be 'wintry' sea-level pecipitation could be of rain, hail, sleet or snow???

:D:80::D

Posted

:lol: Tut tut. If a forecaster uses the term 'wintry showers' it is because relative to other showers, it will contain precip in the form of, sleet or snow or perhaps hail, and is only used in the colder seasons, obviously. Hail can after all, occur in Summer.

To try and clear things up further, the difference between 'thundery shower' and 'thundery rain' is the duration of the rainfall. Both have rainfall of similar intensity to that in a thunderstorm, however one is shortlived and other is not.

Just to clarify, if there is likely to be thunder in a given day, the forecaster will say so. The term 'thundery' is used to describe solely, the intensity of the rain, anything else and they'll say it. If there' gonna be a thunderstorm, they'll say it.

And then - there won't be??? :rofl::rofl:

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Usually an area of rainfall with an embedded convective and unstable element that predisposes it, but not inevitably, to electrical activity.

Posted

Just to clarify, if there is likely to be thunder in a given day, the forecaster will say so. The term 'thundery' is used to describe solely, the intensity of the rain, anything else and they'll say it. If there' gonna be a thunderstorm, they'll say it.

But like i said, if we get weather fronts coming in from the west with torrential rain mixed in, does that mean its 'thundery rain'? just because there is some torrential rain around, i certainly don't think so.

Yesterday(and the day before) was a good example, i don't think i heard one forecast menturning thundery rain yesterday when the graphics showed heavy/torrential rain in Northern ireland and western Scotland. Thundery rain is rainbands with thunder mixed in, not rain that is the intensity of a thundery shower/thunderstorm as the rain of that intensity is normally 'torrential rain'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

ok,m my 2 pence worth...

Thundery shower = shower of a convective nature containing heavy rain with at least a rumble of thunder

Thundery rain = a more widespread area of showery but in parts torrential rainfall (of a convective nature) which may or may not be accompanied by thunder...A good example would be a decaying MCS

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted

Lol - fair to say you don't agree then Tommy! :rofl:

Where I disagree with you Tommy, is the difference between Thundery Shower and Thunderstorm. The primary difference is not intensity, but duration (and size) as Weather09 states. A shower by definition is a short lived downfall of precip, be it rain, hail, sleet, snow, heavy, light, torrential, drizzly...etc.

But I honestly do feel, when forecasters say thundery showers, they mean showers containing thunder - if they do not, I think they should break the habit, because it is soooo misleading. I simply do not buy in to the argument they are merely 'intense downpours like that in a thunderstorm'. The majority of forecasters will say "There will be plenty of heavy, torrential downpours around, some may even be thundery".

How does a torrential downpour differ from a thundery downpour? If there is no difference, why use both? And if there is a difference, then surely it has to be the presence of thunder...??

I think the best way to clear this up (or at least the argument from the forecaster's perspective) will be to try and contact some of the BBC forecasters...

MW - you have Kaye Forster's email address do you not :rofl:...that would be a start anyway :lol:

On a some what different note, I hope I see some tornadic supercells in America...I may even be lucky enough to get a supercell which produces a tornado!!!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

But like i said, if we get weather fronts coming in from the west with torrential rain mixed in, does that mean its 'thundery rain'? just because there is some torrential rain around, i certainly don't think so.

Yesterday(and the day before) was a good example, i don't think i heard one forecast menturning thundery rain yesterday when the graphics showed heavy/torrential rain in Northern ireland and western Scotland. Thundery rain is rainbands with thunder mixed in, not rain that is the intensity of a thundery shower/thunderstorm as the rain of that intensity is normally 'torrential rain'

Thank you Geordie.

Finally, someone who is making some sense.

Posted

Okay guys?? Let's just wait for the experts, eh??? :rofl::rofl:

Posted

But i am sure you will find that all meteorologists will assure you, that whenever the word "Thundery" is used in a forecast, it is there to imply the possibility of some thunder.

Thats what i thought aswell, nothing to do with the intensity because you can have pulses of torrential rain coming up from France for example and yet they are not thundery and the conditions would suggest it won't be thundery. I just won't understand why forecasters would menturn the term if there is no chance of it being thundery.

Its like saying, wintry showers down the east coast yet the air is not cold enough for the showers to be anything other than rain. :rofl:

Posted

Ok, I'm gonna leave it at this. My view is not wrong, you just don't agree with it, there's a difference. Now, if you are not willing to accept the inevitable, different views of others on here, then why did you open a thread for a debate?

You're arguing with me because you can't accept the fact that someones view is different to yours and that they explain it well.

OK OK I give up ! You have an opinion and I respect that.

It would seem that whilst arguing, no actual rain or thunder has actually happened here in the South East which is a shame.

But you are still wrong :rofl: na na na na na !!

Posted

god I only mentioned this morning I had a brief sharp THUNDERY downpour...Now Ive caused world war 3 :rofl:

to be honest Im not going to change my opinon..as a thundery shower is just extremely heavy rain sometimes with Thunder

Edited by dogs32

Posted

Actually, I almost forgot. We had the same discussion a while back and John Holmes came into the discussion and agreed with me, that the term 'thundery' is used to describe the intensity of the rainfall.

Aha, there you have it. John Holmes, by the way, used to work at the Met Office. There was me and another person who said the term 'thundery' rain was used to describe rainfall of which the intensity was similar to that in a thunderstorm.

John Holmes replied, that both my comment and the other persons comment were correct. Now, disagree with me.

Gulp !!

Could I in fact be wrong........let me see ....errr...................................................NOPE ! Sorry.

I would however concede, that when forecasters predict "Thundery rain" , they are not expecting prolific amounts of electrical activity and quite often, the observer will only witness rain. Anyway, I don't know about you, but I have had enough of this debate, and if totally honest, I do wish I hadn't started it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

god I only mentioned this morning I had a brief sharp THUNDERY downpour...Now Ive caused world war 3 :rofl:

to be honest Im not going to change my opinon..as a thundery shower is just extremely heavy rain sometimes with Thunder

Pat, have you been stirring things up mate??....lol.....this is going around in circles isnt it, or to quote you on your storm chase "rotation, rotation!!" :rofl:

Posted

Actually, I almost forgot. We had the same discussion a while back and John Holmes came into the discussion and agreed with me, that the term 'thundery' is used to describe the intensity of the rainfall.

Aha, there you have it. John Holmes, by the way, used to work at the Met Office. There was me and another person who said the term 'thundery' rain was used to describe rainfall of which the intensity was similar to that in a thunderstorm.

John Holmes replied, that both my comment and the other persons comment were correct. Now, disagree with me.

This is with 100% respect to John Holmes, however it has to be said....

The MetOffice aren't exactly leading figures when it comes to forecasting convective weather are they?? :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Just some observations:

Adj. 1. thundery - loud enough to cause (temporary) hearing loss

deafening, earsplitting, thunderous

loud - characterized by or producing sound of great volume or intensity; "a group of loud children"; "loud thunder"; "her voice was too loud"; "loud trombones"

2. thundery - accompanied with thunder

thundery definition

thun·dery (t̸hun′dər ē)

adjective

that sounds like thunder

accompanied with or betokening thunder

Overview of adj thundery

The adj thundery has 2 senses? (no senses from tagged texts)

1. deafening, earsplitting, thunderous, thundery

(loud enough to cause (temporary) hearing loss)

2. thundery

(accompanied with thunder)

a.

Accompanied with thunder; thunderous. [R.] «Thundery weather.» Pennant.

Definition of Thundery rain

WEATHER&METEOROLOGY

A phrase used in weather forecasts when some quite sharp bursts of rain are expected from large areas of unstable medium cloud - with some 'rumbles' of thunder; the thunder not the most significant feature of the situation, and no well developed thunderstorms with associated hail, squally winds etc., are expected.

RIGHT - now, people...I decided to try something out here...I typed the term "thundery definition" into Google and these are the first definitions I was given in ascending order!! Note the last one (which won't help matters much on here, lol)

In all honesty, I do believe that if the MetO's definition of thundery is to Weather09's description, it be changed! After all, definitions of words are defined by both people's understanding and usage of that word.

Seeing as most online dictionaries, and most 'lay persons' deduce it as meaning 'accompanied with thunder', I suggest the MetO adopt their word usage to how people interpret it...fair comment?

Edited by Harry

Posted

Pat, have you been stirring things up mate??....lol.....this is going around in circles isnt it, or to quote you on your storm chase "rotation, rotation!!" :rofl:

hi mate....not on purpose..

i dont see what the big deal is... :rofl:

have a drink on me..

I think J.Holmes is spot on

Edited by dogs32

Posted

I am sorry, truly sorry for everything.

Anyhow, who is your most rated guitarist ever.

For me it's probably Paul Gilbert, but i am very into shredders. Nuno Bettincourt (Extreme and the rest) is also one of my top axe men.

Posted

I am sorry, truly sorry for everything.

Anyhow, who is your most rated guitarist ever.

For me it's probably Paul Gilbert, but i am very into shredders. Nuno Bettincourt (Extreme and the rest) is also one of my top axe men.

.Ok Tommy its off subject...but it would have to Yngwie malmsteen..

last post from me on here...going back to the convective POTENTAIL THREAD :rofl:

Posted

If this thread hasn't been erased by the moderators, and I would fully understand if it was, I want to apologise to Weather09 for upsetting you. Your right, i am one of those people. Please forgive me, as I really didn't mean to anger you.

I will try and be more considerate in my future posts.

Posted

I'll Just add my opinion on the matter,

I think forecasters must be referring to the potential for a bit ofthunder/lightning when they use the term 'thundery rain' or 'thunderyshowers' as for a start on many days of convectuve potential whenthunder is clearly possible and likely in some places, I go on to theMet Office website or hear the weather forecasters on TV, and they sayoften say in some form 'thundery showers' i.e. Heavy, Possibly thunderyshowers, with no other mention of the chance of thunder.

Does this mean that the Met Office etc didn't think there was any chanceof thunder on many of these days and therefore got their forecastswrong with that particular element as there was thunderstorms?

One example I remember was was the 6th of June this year when a heavyslow moving band of rain developed over this part of the world whichhad embedded thundery activity as well as torrential rain, Including a localized but quite potent thunderstorm over the Exeter area early inthe morning that TWS will be able to confirm. On this day I never heardthe forecasters use the tery 'thunderstorms' just something alotng thelines of 'very heavy, possible thundery rain'

Ive found that they usually only use the word 'thunderstorms' sometimesin import situations or occasionally on days such as the 15th June thisyear.

So in my opinion it is rather mis-leading and I'm not particularly keenon the term 'thundery rain' or 'thundery showers' because of this. It may even be that differentforecasters use the phrase slightly differently as its probably used asquite a loose term. I don't really mind it used to describe situations whereonly a few rumbles can be expected from the showers but if I experienced a shower with a few rumbles of thunder in it, I'd most likely report it as a small thunderstorm that produced a few rumbles, because technically, thats what it is. :cray: However, in my opinion for something to be 'thundery' it must contain thunder somewere in it i.e. a band of rain with a few convective cells embedded prodicing a few sefrics, even if quite a few people this band passes over dont actually hear thunder at their location.

If I observed very heavy rain as the intensity or 'drop size' typical in thunderstorms I'd probably describe it as just that or 'torrential rain' but only use the term thundery if there was thunder.

Partly because if this confusion I am of the opinion that the term 'thundery' shouldnt be used so much and that if its rain with no thunder, its just that, And that if its a 'thundery shower' (producing thunder/ lightning) then its basically a thunderstorm however weak.

Ive rambled on a bit more than expected there but this is just my opinion on the matter before anyone attacks me.

Posted

Hi weather09,

No hard feelings. No matter how much we talked about Thunder, it still didn't happen today :lol: Maybe Ex Bill will bring a few surprises on Wednesday. Clutching at straws ? Maybe.

Posted

I consider thundery rain to be any rain that is the result of convective activity.

However, thunderstorms are a different matter, for a thunderstorm to be a thunderstorm, it has to be capable of producing lightning, otherwise its just a convective cell, I can't understand why anyone would think different on that.

Edited by Paul