Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm/convection Discussion

Ross B

Posted

A 'killer' blanket of cloud rolling in across Sussex now. I can just see the coast and it still appears clear and bright over the Channel but as the time for things to start hotting up draws close, I'm not sure which camp to sit in:

Will it? or

Won't it?

:pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

A 'killer' blanket of cloud rolling in across Sussex now. I can just see the coast and it still appears clear and bright over the Channel but as the time for things to start hotting up draws close, I'm not sure which camp to sit in:

Will it? or

Won't it?

:pardon:

Looks like a MCS developing over northern France, plenty of sferics on SAT24, the overspill is heading into south-eastern counties as the moment, maybe the stormy activity may just clip the kent coast this afternoon?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The killer cloud blanket rolls in here too -

Another day bites the dust :pardon:

Worth noting that despite the sun having disappeared now under a veil of Ac, it is still very warm and noticeably quite humid too!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

Been out shopping in and around Maidstone in the various retail parks this morning. Altocumulus began to 'fill in' around 10am, with some rather interesting wavy=type features to the clouds. It has turned increasingly humid and muggy as the cloud thickens, currently have a thick high-level cloud sheet overhead with very little interesting weather happening now.

East Anglia seems to be the only place likely to see anything according to 06z GFS

Edited by maidstone weather

Posted

Bugger! We've had more caps in England this year than David Beckham! :rofl:

Where's the 12Z soundings to really put the lid on things :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Some clearer skies now coming into Hants/Sussex to the east of drizzly/showery mess over western England, perhaps there's chance for convection to bubble up now for SE parts of the country?

Posted

Here we go, a little more hope for some in the SE, but no rotund female limbering up her vocal chords yet.....

100594.gif

Posted

Feels incredibly 'steamy' here, very uncomfortable and oppressive, almost tiring :rofl:

It is warm and rather schticky!!

If the sun gets out now across Sussex/Hants, that will certainly suit me to the ground. Any storms should track NE one would have thought, leaving me in with a fair to decent shout.

I'm with MW, very warm and in fact, increasingly humid as the afternoon has gone on.

I still think we are on the slim end of the probability scale!

Herstmonceux Sounding : "Tornadic Supercells Possible" lol...if only!! :rofl:

Edited by Harry

Posted

starting to turn a little bit brighter here, but a breeze would be nice! It's just so sticky and nothing to cool you down. 26.3C

Pockets of sunshine breaking through the cloud now!! Hopefully a trigger for something - though you know it won't be :cray:

Posted

Little by little, small things are falling into place. 12Z sounding looks a bit more promising, sun is trying to break the cloud in a number of places (inc mid Sussex), dew point and surface temps look encouraging. I can see Cb's just above the level of the South Downs, somewhere out to sea....

The trouble is, I think UK weather has developed a sense of humour - and not a nice one! :cray:

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Don't think it's going to happen now , the storms stayed over france :cray:

Posted

Don't think it's going to happen now , the storms stayed over france :cray:

Hmm - were the only things for us meant to be coming in from France??

Now that we have the sun out again (and boy the temperature is rapidly responding), the increasing temperatures, humidity and the CF due to rattle in later - we could see something develop yet!

Posted

Hmm - were the only things for us meant to be coming in from France??

Now that we have the sun out again (and boy the temperature is rapidly responding), the increasing temperatures, humidity and the CF due to rattle in later - we could see something develop yet!

MetO 3pm radar showing rapid expansion of rain just off the coast of E Anglia with a rather potent cell there?:cray:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

we could see something develop yet!

If you say so :cray:

Posted

If you say so :cray:

Precisely - I do say so, however I don't know so!

All I know is, surface heating was one of the fuels needed to aid any storm development. Now we have that, combined with high humidity, some CAPE present with reasonable LIs, some shear and an advancing CF, many of the necessary ingredients appear to be there.

Therefore, if it was EVER going to happen, things now seem more right than ever! If it doesn't happen, such is life.

Posted

Seems like the eastern most flank of the area of rain moving North is becoming more intense.

Now very uncomfortable working conditions - quite sweltering - heat and humidity at uncomfortable levels now - and to cap it all off, just got attacked by a f%$£ing wasp in the office!! GRRRR!!1 :cray:

EDIT - Looks like there are small Cu fields developing in the gap between the cloud to the E and the front the W! Latest CAPE/LI charts (exc the Herstmonceux sounding) look abysmal!!

Edited by Harry

Posted

How's your French 'Mon braves'?

www.meteociel.fr www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs

I think you can tell from the pics to be honest lol! Appears to be some some Isolated T'storms towards the NW of France - not sure if that gives us much hope!

Skies really have cleared now - very warm and humid!