Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reputation......

Posted

As I said above, please provide details of the threads etc you think this is apparent in via a pm to any member of the team and we'll gladly look at it and discuss it with you, without specifics it's impossible to do anything.

As an aside though, posts and topics have been and continue to be well up on the same periods from last year, which in turn was well up on the previous year.

Posted

The clique thing bugged me considerably in 2004/5. During those times it was pretty much evident on the general chat/cafe threads, not so much on the actual weather sections.

I'm assuming cheeky_monkey is thinking the board is littered with cliques?

As an aside, I'm left wondering if this "Reputation" option is something IP.Board have dreamed up, and those who use this particular forum format have been suckered into using it ? I haven't checked as running forums aren't my thing. If I were to run a forum, it'd be clean and hassle free like this: http://vanillaforums.com/

Posted

As I said above, please provide details of the threads etc you think this is apparent in via a pm to any member of the team and we'll gladly look at it and discuss it with you, without specifics it's impossible to do anything.

I can understand if their is a problem passing it on to the team cause like you know I will.

but I have a number of friends on this forum who won't be named, who either don't post here or post less and some of its to do with cliques and others to do with nasty comments etc.

seems like a core of really good netweather posters are no longer on the site. which if is down to cliques is not a good thing.

yes you get people leaving and joining all the time, but no one should be leaving for any of the above reasons.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Get rid of this...they give you negativity for your honesty!

Thats just not right.:girl_devil:

Posted

I ahve to agree...the positive ones are good..

But the - ones are not....

getting a minus just for saying I think the rain is loosing its intensity seems unfair..

It discourages you of posting.....I like the plus but the negative seem's it just might get abused after all

Posted
Get rid of this...they give you negativity for your honesty!

Thats just not right.:)

getting a minus just for saying I think the rain is loosing its intensity seems unfair..

It discourages you of posting.....I like the plus but the negative seem's it just might get abused after all

But come this morning, the negatives have gone, as whilst there is always going to be the odd plonker - the majority of people are using the system with some care and have quickly 'outvoted' the minority..

Also, as DN3A notes, the odd negative vote is not exactly the end of the world!!

Posted

Like a few people raising their concerns regarding the reputation system, I was sceptical at first and questioned the fairness of the system.

But having read Paul's guide to the reputation system, and the amount of positive and negative votes being allowed in 24 hours, I dont think its going to cause much of an issue. In fact, I think once the novelty wears off, it will be a matter of people clicking on the + and - for genuine good or bad posts, and not just clicking a + for friends etc.

I also think its a good idea that behind the scenes as such, an eye is being kept on giving negative votes for posts that don't deserve a negative - like what someone quoted in this thread - being given a negative mark for saying the rainfall is weakening and the such like.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I think we need to get this into perspective, peeps? We each only have two negative points to award per day. :)

Posted

thnaks SnowRaven..

I agree with you...

I admit I over reacted last night but It was just annoying me as a few people

were getting Negative's for decent post's..

OK my post wasn't highly technical or Jamo or Tony's but to get negatives for following the Weather yesterday was crazy..

I wont say anymore about it but it as made me think of the tension it can cause between people..

Just like a few people have said give it few week's and hopefully the Plonker's will get bored...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I do think some are making a mountain out of a molehill. The novelty will wear off, and the minority who are giving people negative rep for silly things are far outnumbered by those who are using it sensibly.

It's only a number for goodness sake. If you don't like it just ignore it - simples.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Whilst I made some points about the difference between positive and negative cliques the other day which I feel is an issue, I must say that I am encouraged by how the overall system is operating in the last few days. Yes a few incidencies have occured like with the convection thread last night, but it is clear enough that these are being stamped out as they appear. I don't think anyone need worry about having a negative mark when it is obvious from reading the post that it doesn't warrant one.

Posted

I think the real test will come in the winter when all the winter members come out of hibernation, i wonder what will happen if someone posted in a thread they preferred mild to snow or said the models were going to downgrade, or even said the dreaded modern ere phrase laugh.gif

I think the novelty will wear off, but your always going to have idiot who will abuse the system, but they can be identified and stopped from using it :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

To be honest I doubt anyone will take the blindest bit of notice (I hadn't even taken time to consider what the +-0 was until I saw this thread) so if you ask me it really is an irrelevance (everyone already knows who the most knowledgeable/dependable/reliable posters are anyway..........).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

maybe would have been okay if it said LOSING its intensity not loosing!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

maybe would have been okay if it said LOSING its intensity not loosing!

So!! was it you then?? who gave him a negative??

Gawd,he only made a spelling mistake!! Go on give me a negative now,go on I dare ya. lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

So!! was it you then?? who gave him a negative??

Gawd,he only made a spelling mistake!! Go on give me a negative now,go on I dare ya. lol

lol no i dont use it never have, hardly even know about it, if i got a negative i wouldnt give a damn, dont see the point in the reputation system anyway

Edited by mark forster 630

Posted

But should you really be that concerned what someone, in a virtual world, thinks of you?

Personally, I dont. Call that whatever, but seriously, i'm not fussed (as i'm sure a negative isnt a condition on your character, but just a disagreement with your post) :)

Posted

Just now I tried to give my first positive to a member. It is my first time even clicking the -ve / +ve option, yet when I click on the positive symbol it says my quota has been used up for the day. How is that when I haven't even clicked before?

As an aside, it also appears I'm unable to use the "recent status update". Am I being silenced ? unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

lol no i dont use it never have, hardly even know about it, if i got a negative i wouldnt give a damn, dont see the point in the reputation system anyway

Same here, I don't use the negative button either. I'm not keen on the negatives either.All I ever give out is positives to everyone.I've already used up all my positives for today lol.smile.gif

Posted

Do you know what I think we've probably done about as much as we can within this debate. We're trialling the reputation points, they've been running for a week or so now and we intend to run them a little while longer before reviewing and deciding the best course of action. If anyone has any specific issues regarding this, please feel free to pm me or any of the other team members but for the time being at least I'm going to close this.