Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reputation......

Posted

Is this a new feature and how does it work? I notice that I have a reputation of 1 and am wondering (naturally!)to what this alludes. :pardon::)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Is this a new feature and how does it work? I notice that I have a reputation of 1 and am wondering (naturally!)to what this alludes. :pardon::)

Hi noggin. If you look at the bottom right-hand corner of a post, you'll see a green [+] button. If you really like the post or think that it makes a good contribution to the discussion, you can raise the poster's reputation by pressing it...

Hope this helps?

PS: your's should be 2 by now! :)

Posted

Thanks, Pete.......have one yourself! :pardon:

• 1 month later...
Posted

Don't know if this is the right thread however i see you have put the negative reputation on, already people are misusing it, for example i started a thread in the lounge area on GCSE results and some idiot has gone down and negatived all the posts for no reason whats so ever, i also have noticed in the model thread that posts are being negatived for no reason, for example NSSC suggested that the models were showing unsettled weather and she got negative points on her post!

Posted

Don't know if this is the right thread however i see you have put the negative reputation on, already people are misusing it, for example i started a thread in the lounge area on GCSE results and some idiot has gone down and negatived all the posts for no reason whats so ever, i also have noticed in the model thread that posts are being negatived for no reason, for example NSSC suggested that the models were showing unsettled weather and she got negative points on her post!

Aye, it's a shame. Because 'not agreeing' with something doesn't make said something wrong!

Posted

Don't know if this is the right thread however i see you have put the negative reputation on, already people are misusing it, for example i started a thread in the lounge area on GCSE results and some idiot has gone down and negatived all the posts for no reason whats so ever,

I noticed that Mark, and I can't see why anyone would do that. Sad really.

Posted

I think people will get over the 'novelty' of it before too long - am writing a guide to reputation at the moment which may help I hope. If people use it sensibly it'll be a really good feature I think.

Posted

Aside from a few eejits (there are always some), who we'll stop from using the system. I think it has the potential to be a very positive addition to the forum and discussions, particularly for those who maybe haven't been here long and would like to know which posts are highly rated and which members members are well thought of.

Posted

Get rid of the whole reputation system I say. People giving out the bad reputation points, are doing it either because they're being childish, or they don't agree with what the person is saying, even though the post was informative and relevent to the topic. This is a weather forum, not Youtube. Sometimes I wish people on here would grow up!

I wouldnt say get rid of it but just disable giving negatives like it was before - Why was it decided that we can give negatives out again? Surely this was going to happen by the minority on here and i thought this was why it was disabled in the first place??

Posted

I think the positive is a good idea because as you say it allows newer members to identify the more highly rated members such as GP. However i don't really see the need for the negative rep. Belongs people don't misuse it i don't have a problem with it :lol:

Posted

The thinking behind the negative option was to give users the opportunity to vote with their feet when people post ridiculous/off topic/derogatory etc type comments. By allowing people to show the poster in a visible way what they think of such a post without having to respond (potentially taking a thread off topic) it should help the thread, show the person making the post that perhaps they need to rethink the way they're putting their points across (or whatever) and will also show those reading that there may be a reason to take the post in question with a pinch of salt.

We have limited to the number of negative points users can give a day to just 3 (you can give 10 positives), so there should be no way that someone can just go round trashing decent posts, not least because other users can always give a post a positive to cancel out a negative. And again, on that basis a minority of eejits who may try to abuse the system shouldn't be able to make a dent on things.

Posted

As I say though, this is something that the majority of people can control - if a minority of people are misusing the system then the majority can 'out vote' them any way. I think you have to credit the vast majority of the community membership with enough intelligence to make a reasoned decision on the posts they vote for (positive or negative),

Just because you don't agree with the fact a particular post is being voted up or down doesn't necessarily mean that people don't have what they consider to be a reasonable reason for voting the way they have.

Posted

When it said vote post up and vote post down I thought it meant voting to bring the post up or down the page. So I pressed the Vote this post down to slide the page into better viewing.

Now I know it's not a scrolling feature. Wondering why nothing was happeneing, good job you restricted it to two otherwise a few people would have a massive negative rating.

Posted

I do not believe this system will used sensibly. The post above shows 3 minus points at time of posting this. Why? There is nothing in that comment deserving of such abuse. That’s no more than a reaction against an individual who has a ‘reputation’ for being unpopular.

What ever happened to good manners and accountability? When did the easy option become preferred to proper investigation, and then intelligent appraisal and interaction? Why pander to those who either can’t be bothered taking the extra minute to say thank you properly, or those who will inevitably and interminably hide behind the anonymity of a red button to take side swipes at members they don’t like? Where is the equality of exposure that signals the ‘reputation’ of the person awarding the reputation point? How is this monitored, is it monitored, and if so why should that not be public information? If not, where is the protection from abuse?

I fully admit to not being as smart or as industrious as many of the leading lights in this forum, but I know who they are and I enjoyed learning that over time by reading people’s posts, averaging out their worth, and mentally placing them in a pecking order of clever to stupid, good to bad, instructive to destructive, good egg to rotten apple. Similarly, I hope I’m not the worst offender when it comes to inappropriate posts, lack of courtesy, deliberate incitement, or deadly-dullness (at least not usually), but again I know the members who I believe are guilty of these traits and I learned that through reading what they have to say. I’m sure the vast majority of members have gone through a similar process, and newcomers should be trusted to do the same without arbitrary beauty parade scores being flashed up for them. I can’t see how a reputation score can possibly be more valuable than taking the trouble to get to know your peers and using a wee bit of wit to search out those who bring most value to the forum.

Reputations are subjective and all sorts of prejudices get caught up in the judgement of a person’s character and worth. The true worth of an individual post has nothing to do with personal consensus. The awarding of points, whether they are fairly assigned or not, is divisive at best and abdicates judgement to the mob at worst. I cannot understand how this will increase enjoyment of the forum in any way. Surely it is better to encourage courtesy in applauding a valuable post, and require integrity in challenging a valueless one through proper communication - in public.

Unless, of course, that’s not the point and all this is, is a rather clumsy moderating tool. Is it?

Posted

While I hear what you're saying Penguin, I think you're perhaps over-egging the negatives you're seeing to the system.

The net has changed a lot in recent years, with self policing and user ratings becoming prevalent pretty much every where, many people like to have a quick way to rate something and many others like to use that sort of thing to give an at a glance guide to the quality of something. Of course ratings such as that are subjective and it's down to the individual whether they take any notice of it, but by having them at least we're giving the choice.

Does it open up the possibility of some members abusing the system? Yes most definitely, but we're negating that by limiting the number of negative votes people can make to 3 while you can make 10 positive votes a day. Also, as I said yesterday I am certain the vast majority of people on here won't abuse it, so it should be very easy to outvote the plonkers should they play up - and we can also stop those abusing the system from using it too (yes we can monitor it).

Is it a 'clumsy moderating tool'? No not imo. I'd like to think it'll help the team as within any community (online or offline), self policing/moderation is important and this should aid that and perhaps act as a simple message to those 'anti social' posters who don't necessarily break the rules but do cause issues from time to time to look at the way they're posting.

At the end of the day, it's a feature that's been built into the forum by the developers, I've seen it work successfully elsewhere and personally I think it can add to the forum and community as a whole, but if that doesn't turn out to be the case we can turn it off without any issues. All I ask is that we leave it for a while, allow the initial novelty factor to where off and also allow people to get used to giving these points and then make a judgement.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I haven't seen that Mark. So be it.

I think the positive system is an excellent initiative and there are some who are rightly getting positive marks for their obvious regular worthy contributions. Plus it gives incentives to others to be constructive.

However the negative system can only lead to problems imo. Working in tandem with the positive system it will further encourage 'agendas', unhealthy cliques and identifying people who are not liked, whose face 'fits' and whose doesn't etc. Irrespective of their overall contribution.

I'm not sure that operating both systems will enable a true and a fair picture of who is worthwhile and who is not to emerge - quite the opposite in fact.

Posted

But Tamara, do you not think that whilst a minority could use the system for that purpose, the majority won't and as it's a voting based system the minority shouldn't be able to have that much of an effect? (particularly also bearing in mind the limitations put on negative votes).

Obviously there's a risk of abuse, but I'd also suggest there's a real chance of it being a very positive addition to the community, so please reserve judgement for a while at least!

I understand and would want to agree with the need to have some faith in people being intelligent enough to do as you suggest. However, small minorities in these situations have a habit of making bigger ripples than their size would suggest.

However, as you say, I will try and reserve judgement.smile.gif

Posted

The thing is to really encourage people to use them one bad egg out of 10 is going to screw it, 1 out of 50 is not likely to be noticed.

I have to admit I am bad at not using them (I've only done so 3 times).

Posted

I'm guessing it doesn't really matter how many negatives/positives you have as no-one actually really cares what score they're on. If they are hugely negative no doubt theyre posts will be looked at.

Don't understand why anyone takes any notice of it really.

Posted

I hardly ever touch the [-] button. But I have used the [+] for many posts, including those with which I disagree... :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

I ve not used either the + or the - buttons and doubt i will in future. I think it could develop cliques which isnt good but only time will tell as always!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I understand and would want to agree with the need to have some faith in people being intelligent enough to do as you suggest. However, small minorities in these situations have a habit of making bigger ripples than their size would suggest.

However, as you say, I will try and reserve judgement.smile.gif

But in this case, as Paul mentioned, we actually have ways of finding out the identity of the members who are abusing it and removing their ability to give negative marks.

The reputation system won't be of much use to established members but for the less established ones who just pop in occasionally it can be of more use. For instance I have always found it useful on Youtube- and over there, the vast majority of posts with significant negative ratings (say -4 or below) are genuinely useless ones. There are a few who abuse the system over there as well, but on the whole their impact tends to be small, and a post with a -1 or -2 usually means little.

But in this case, as Paul mentioned, we actually have ways of finding out the identity of the members who are abusing it and removing their ability to give negative marks.

The reputation system won't be of much use to established members but for the less established ones who just pop in occasionally it can be of more use. For instance I have always found it useful on Youtube- and over there, the vast majority of posts with significant negative ratings (say -4 or below) are genuinely useless ones. There are a few who abuse the system over there as well, but on the whole their impact tends to be small, and a post with a -1 or -2 usually means little.

Good - as long as it is monitored that will certainly reduce or avoid potential problems.

I'm less sure about the system not being useful to experienced members. On the minus side, it could be used as a means for 'hierarchy' by some - but hopefully this would be a minimal number.

On a more constructice level though I would like to think that more experienced members will use the system in the manner intended and as a result make it more useful and promote it as a good example for less established or infrequent users

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection