Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Radar Probs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I agree. Although I'm primarily based down south these days, I often like to check up on the weather over Tyne & Wear (using a combination of the radar and Neil Bradshaw's South Shields Weather webcam- partly out of interest and partly to add some background to the data I get from Cleadon each month) and over the last week the anaprop there appears to have got steadily worse.

Today it was verging on impossible to distinguish the showers from the anaprop.

And it's hardly as if it's not in a populated area of the country, either! I'm surprised that there are so many problems with the MetO's radar there yet many sparsely populated areas of the UK are fine.

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

I'm not sure but because this 'new' radar is doppler enabled perhaps modifications are needed, i know with following storms in

America that doppler enabled radars do very well in cleaning up 'clutter' around their Metroplex areas as skyscrapers and other large

features show up when the 'hide clutter' button is deactivated, maybe the met should get some advice from colleagues in the NWS

as they could shed some light in rectifying this on-going problem.... I cant understand why, its not that we have huge towering buildings

or mountain ranges to contend with only small hills and a handful of 'high-risers....!!

Chicago radar.

Clutter filter activated.

Deactivated.

Edited by NL

Posted

Dont want to speak too soon...:D..... but the rainfall radar in the NE has been anaprop free for the last 4hrs.:D

Thanks to all involved if indeed this problem has been rectified ..:good:..

Posted

I emailed them again this morning to remind them that there had been this problem for 2 weeks or so, fingers crossed that'll be it sorted now..

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

I have a problem when going into my favourite postcodes.

I have not been able to use it properly these last few days as stepping through time keeps causing it to switch to a different favourite and not the one I wish to check through. Most annoying!

I have cleared cookies and also ran CCleaner which usually sorts out problems with NW. Still no joy.

Posted

That's not something I've seen reported, can't recreate it here and we've made no changes to the system so I think it may be something local - best bet so we can go through some troubleshooting with you is if you can contact us via the normal support channel here please:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=contact;sess=

Posted

You can bet your life one of my computers will get something noone else will ever get!!

Posted

In truth Peter it runs fine 99.9% of the time, there's been an issue today which we're working on (and isn't our fault) but apart from that it's the first issue in about 3 months, and that was a short period of downtime when the metoffice didn't send files for a few hours.

We work very hard to ensure everything runs smoothly for instance the majority of the other work I had to do today went out of the window just so I could monitor the radar every 5-10 minutes to catch any corrupt files as they come in so they don't disrupt it. I started at 8am and am still here, the only times today where it's caught me out were when I ate some lunch and when I had some dinner!

Not much help to you I know, as you're frustrated it's playing up a little this evening (which I've hopefully now sorted), but trust me, we do everything we can and more when problems arise.

Posted

Seem to have sorted it. It was when I left the other postcode in the postcode zoom box- now when I clear that- I am able to step through time again!

Thank you.

Posted

In truth Peter it runs fine 99.9% of the time, there's been an issue today which we're working on (and isn't our fault) but apart from that it's the first issue in about 3 months, and that was a short period of downtime when the metoffice didn't send files for a few hours.

We work very hard to ensure everything runs smoothly for instance the majority of the other work I had to do today went out of the window just so I could monitor the radar every 5-10 minutes to catch any corrupt files as they come in so they don't disrupt it. I started at 8am and am still here, the only times today where it's caught me out were when I ate some lunch and when I had some dinner!

Not much help to you I know, as you're frustrated it's playing up a little this evening (which I've hopefully now sorted), but trust me, we do everything we can and more when problems arise.

i know you do paul,just my little friday night rant lol.

Posted

Lol no problem Peter, and to cheer your mood slightly - we're working on radarv5 at the moment and hope to have an alpha version online next week with a bit of luck :good:

Posted

Lol no problem Peter, and to cheer your mood slightly - we're working on radarv5 at the moment and hope to have an alpha version online next week with a bit of luck :)

good man :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Radar seems to have stopped working for me. Seems to be stuck at 12:55.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

same here

Posted

Apologies again folks, we're continuing to get some duff files from the metoffice which royally mess up our system. We'll be trying to get something in place as an interim fix today which will automatically fix the issue instead of it needing manual intervention when a corrupt file comes in as it does now. The radar is back up to date again now though..

Posted

Apologies again folks, we're continuing to get some duff files from the metoffice which royally mess up our system. We'll be trying to get something in place as an interim fix today which will automatically fix the issue instead of it needing manual intervention when a corrupt file comes in as it does now. The radar is back up to date again now though..

is there a problem with the zoom paul?

cancel that,iv'e just had to re enter my postcode :rofl:

Posted

Lol, yep zooms a working fine :rofl:

We've got an auto fixer in place for the corrupt file issue now, which in the short term while the meto sort the issue should mean the radar no longer sticks beyond the 5 minute timeslot with the corrupt data.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

Has anyone else noticed sometimes that when stepping through the radar history frames, images from previous days (usually the yesterday) are randomly mixed in with the present days? It has been doing this a long time but seems worse latley. It is bad today.