Doesn't look like anyone has posted in here in a while, but it says 'Introductions' and I'm introducing myself so hopefully people will see this! 

So this is my first post, just to say I am now 4 weeks into my first year MMet Meteorology Degree at Reading, with a year in Oklahoma, (the degree I've been wanting to do for a good 4 years now and I've finally made it! Also maybe some people here have done the same course)? Love everything to do with the atmosphere and the way it drives our weather across the Globe. And hopefully as I progress I can get involved all the more. To throw in a quick fact I'd say my favourite season is the 9 months of the year that isn't Autumn ;) 

~~Alex~~

• Like 1
  • Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

enjoy the site bill

I've shared a lot on this forum. Sometimes very personal things. I have had some amazingly supportive responses. I have had negative comments when people disagree with my opinions, but that is all goo

I am from the Low Countries, the province of Noord Holland. I live in a city behind the dunes, and just above sea level. Always thought ppl must have been crazy, wanting to live in a country resemblin

Doesn't look like anyone has posted in here in a while, but it says 'Introductions' and I'm introducing myself so hopefully people will see this! 

So this is my first post, just to say I am now 4 weeks into my first year MMet Meteorology Degree at Reading, with a year in Oklahoma, (the degree I've been wanting to do for a good 4 years now and I've finally made it! Also maybe some people here have done the same course)? Love everything to do with the atmosphere and the way it drives our weather across the Globe. And hopefully as I progress I can get involved all the more. To throw in a quick fact I'd say my favourite season is the 9 months of the year that isn't Autumn ;)

~~Alex~~

Welcome (nutter :) )

• Like 1
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi new bod here. Far south east UK. Running a WH1080 station tweeting @dumptonpweather for thanet and locals. @3dw4rd5 myself. Have friends here and others with stations. Looking for raspberry pi station info setup stuff and maybe wunderground. Hope everyone's well and looking forward to Christmas and some snow! 😊

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello from near weather station Caple Hendre South Wales UK ( SA18 3BZ ).

I'm newer than a Tesco new potato . This is my first post , it won't be the last either hopefully .

Please Note Well .

I'm heavily dyslexic on days when my disabilities get going , even if i'm alcohol free ( normal state) though I'm happy to have someone try & take the mickey out of me for it , as I can always come and haunt them when I snuff it. :shok: .

I've spent day& days trying to find somewhere that I can check to see if there were  thunderstorms in my area around two months ago .

sadly I've failed .

I need this info because I'm fighting our insurers over a claim for several £K ... basically several  bits of stuff got fried  a few days before the generating boards underground cable failed.

We lost the 5 yrs old electic oven , the UPs for my lasses computer , 21  low voltage bulbs and the icing on the cake .... the underfloor tiled over trace heating cable system in my disabled persons wet room .

Both of the companies say " Nah now' t to do with us , no one else has had any problems .......  try elsewhere " .

Luckily I've managed to get a paper trail going  and hope to have a face to face with some folk in a few days time but I need the lightening maps for the period to back up what I'm saying .

Can any of you folk point me to a free ( ? ) , website that might have them please ?

Dave

aka .

plantoid

Edited by plantoid
  • Like 2

Welcome to the mayhem

Would add that most insurance I know of will take a lightning strike (or is cause) as an "act of god" which they normally do not cover for damages.

Welcome to the mayhem

Would add that most insurance I know of will take a lightning strike (or is cause) as an "act of god" which they normally do not cover for damages.

Meant effect

Thanks  lads.

Boo to the act of god stuff   ,  I don't use them .

I think I'm covered for lightening strikes with the insurers but not for electricial derangement.

Good news.

Today the area manager from the power company had a chat with me ..he's coming to see me tomorrow morning & have a chat about my thoughts etc ..

Mokidugway

Thanks for that Ii will do it in a few minutes.

To the best of my knowledge,  we had plenty of rain over the period but I don't recollect any thunder ..maybe it was very local sheet lightening coming in on the powerlines ..it is all very strange for it did not blow any fuses or trip  trips but did burn out things . Or ... :shok: Am I talking out my ass  .... HEHAW  :cc_confused:

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi to everyone! Is this the "welcome room"..??

I' m Marco from Siena, Italy. Addicted to snow and cold....oh, yes I know, i'm not in the best place of the world for these two... :sorry:  :D

I'm very sorry for my poor english(tipical italian lack).

I' m going to open a topic in the World Weather Area, I 'll try to tell about the weather in my city, in my region(Tuscany) and in Italy. I hope to give uptades once or twice a week and if i have time, to discuss about forecast for Europe on some topics... :)

Good night!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I' m Marco from Siena, Italy. Addicted to snow and cold....oh, yes I know, i'm not in the best place of the world for these two... :sorry:  :D

I' m going to open a topic in the World Weather Area, I 'll try to tell about the weather in my city, in my region(Tuscany) and in Italy. I hope to give uptades once or twice a week and if i have time, to discuss about forecast for Europe on some topics... :)

Good night!

Hi Marco

What a beautiful part of Europe! Welcome. Your English is great, don't worry - try our Italian and then you'll know. I spend quite a bit of time near Perpignan in southern France and although snow is rare at sea level the mountains are often sugar dusted even on hot days. Sometimes for a few hours we get snow on the beach!

Edited by Spikecollie
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello all thought I would post my first post here.

Typical Brit, love the weather, but I find sunny weather or just cold weather boring unless it means there is going to be something wild at the end of it!

Hoping to increase my general lack of knowledge reading though the very well written information here, so please excuse me while I learn. Also hoping to get a weather station at some point so I can add details to any posts I do, but as my birthday is a fair way off, please bare with me!

Been looking at these forums for a fair few months and look forward to discussing the weather with you all.

Icy.

Welcome Icy. Make sure to check out the learners area here https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/69-learners-area/

• 2 months later...

Hi all. New member here.. Thought I'd say hi from sunny Basingstoke. Interested in all things weather especially t-storms, snow, gales but just appreciate the great British weather variety. More posts will follow..

Hi all. New member here.. Thought I'd say hi from sunny Basingstoke. Interested in all things weather especially t-storms, snow, gales but just appreciate the great British weather variety. More posts will follow..

enjoy NW but don't eat all the biscuits :)..
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

By way of a short introduction, although I have been a Net-weather member since 2013, it is time that I said thank you for a fabulous on-line weather service. I assist in the running of a local amateur web-site forum in Coventry UK, (Historic Coventry Forum) for which I have been accessing weather info regularly. I have always been fascinated with the science of weather & although my understanding is very skimpy, it is far less skimpy than it was when I first joined Net-weather.

Thank you & best wishes to you all.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

By way of a short introduction, although I have been a Net-weather member since 2013, it is time that I said thank you for a fabulous on-line weather service. I assist in the running of a local amateur web-site forum in Coventry UK, (Historic Coventry Forum) for which I have been accessing weather info regularly. I have always been fascinated with the science of weather & although my understanding is very skimpy, it is far less skimpy than it was when I first joined Net-weather.

welcome, though suprised I'm the first to welcome you !!.
  • Like 1

Good night!

Welcome :)

Hi all,

welcome :)

welcome, though suprised I'm the first to welcome you !!.

Welcome Mokidugway :D

hi im dee just joined how is everyone???

welcome :)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I have been using the website and reading the forum for a little while now but thought I'd give posting a try. My weather knowledge is nowhere near the level of some of you on here, but I am a weather lover and I always keen to learn more. My favourite types of weather are the cold (snow, frosts, etc) and storm systems of all types.  Living in South East Essex we get a fair amount of the latter but an underwhelming amount of the former. I am recently married and soon to be the father of a next generation weather geek. Anyway, that'll do! I hope to get to know you all soon.

• Like 1