Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer's Back On: Britain Set To Bask In August Heatwave

Posted

http://www.dailymail...t-heatwave.html

Following a miserable few weeks you'd be forgiven for thinking summer had come and gone.But don't pack away the sun cream just yet because the country is set to swelter in a heatwave next month that could even see the hottest day on record.

Forecasters are predicting that temperatures will steadily rise over the next few weeks with the possibility of reaching 101F (38.5C) in mid-August.

Temperatures are set to steadily rise from this weekend and into early August

Jonathan Powell from Positive Weather Solutions said: 'The roller-coaster summer will have another high. When it does arrive, record temperatures may well be achieved.

'At present, the second week of August looks likely to break the warmest-day record for England, and possibly Wales.'

Met Office forecaster John Hammond also predicts a warmer August will follow a wet July.

He said: 'It will be a slow process but things will become more settled from this weekend on.

The wet weather of the last few weeks could soon be a thing of the past

'There will still be bands of rain pushing thought but the indications are that temperatures will be very much above average.

'There will be plenty of sunshine and things will dry out. Let's hope we can get up to those temperatures we enjoyed during the Wimbledon fortnight and we may even see that barbecue summer yet.'

Britain has suffered a wetter than average July with 56.6mm of rain falling in the first two weeks. The July average is 70mm.

The UK's record rainfall fall for July was set in 1998 when 145.3mm poured down.

Any such indications to back this up?

Edited by morfius

Posted

Has anyone introduced the Daily Mail to the acronym 'FI' ???

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Has anyone introduced the Daily Mail to the acronym 'FI' ???

Someone posted the links on another thread, Mail and Express. Unfortunately, I can't remember where! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

That snippet uses words with no weight behind them such as "possibility" "likely" "could" "may even".Another load of Media spin, what do they say "dont believe anything you read in the papers! :)

Edited by ANYWEATHER

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

The quoted source of the paper is Jonathan Powell from Total Weather Solutions.

These guys are well known for talking out of their ar*es. If you search around on the forum you will see other newspaper articles that have quoted Mr. Powell.

One that springs to mind is when he predicted apocalyptic storms hitting Britain (130mph!) during the Christmas period last year. His prediction was made in early November from memory, he obviously did not see the big flabby high that was actually dominating British weather during that period.

To be fair in Jonathans world Michael Jackson is still performing and Elephants are just about to land on Mars accompanied by Peter Pan. Any predictions he makes should come with a mental health warning attached to them!

Edited by mam500

These guys are well known for talking out of their ar*es. If you search around on the forum you will see other newspaper articles that have quoted Mr. Powell.

One that springs to mind is when he predicted apocalyptic storms hitting Britain (130mph!) during the Christmas period last year. His prediction was made in early November from memory, he obviously did not see the big flabby high that was actually dominating British weather during that period.

To be fair in Jonathans world Michael Jackson is still performing and Elephants are just about to land on Mars accompanied by Peter Pan. Any predictions he makes should come with a mental health warning attached to them!

And does he have any views on the current whereabouts of Lord Lucon, Shergar and Elvis Presley?

It makes you wonder how they manage to stay in business.

Posted

And does he have any views on the current whereabouts of Lord Lucon, Shergar and Elvis Presley?

It makes you wonder how they manage to stay in business.

By telling folks what they want to hear? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

This is bull sh*te

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Oh good god. :doh:

Posted

http://www.dailymail...t-heatwave.html

Any such indications to back this up?

what do you think?

an accurate assessment of the man really-or am I being too unkind?

Posted

For some of us, its been a BBQ summer for most of the time and not as miserable as it has been for many. I know those that have seen many dry, warm and sunny days are rather in the minority, but for parts of Suffolk, Essex and Kent, its been a pretty good couple of months on the whole.

Posted

as a person who works within the media i am still dumbfounded by the nonsense that is printed. having said that, silly season is on our doorstep, so expect more of the same til mid september.

Posted

mmmm have that not noticed that the jet has suddenly reved up into action and does not look like it wants to quietly calm down, once the jet drives through into August it is a tough best to kill, this is not March - June when the atlantic is at its most quietest.

The tabloids at this time of year find it very difficult to find stories and their is always one of these headlines at this time of year it seems, they pick the second week of August as this is traditionally when we expect to see our hottest day.. its all a load of rubbish..

Posted

IMO, this is just the typical nonsense that the Press invents every summer. Put simply, they're selling copy by telling us what we want to hear. Unfortunately, in their mad rush to make money, no one seems to check the veracity very much. They do the same thing with white Xmases: 'ODDS SLASHED TO 7/1' on the basis of October 29th being 1C below average, for example.

It's not a pinch of salt required for this rubbish - it's a whole substratum of Siberia! :)

PS: If it does happen I'll eat Jethro's hats! :)

Edited by Pete Tattum

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

PS: If it does happen I'll eat Jethro's hats! :o

Why do you have eyes on my precious collection of Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffanys style creations? They'll be pistols at dawn if your dentures go any where near. Noggin on the other hand may offer hers up for munching on...

Edited by jethro

Posted

Why do you have eyes on my precious collection of Hepburn, Breakfast at Tiffanys style creations? They'll be pistols at dawn if your dentures go any where near. Noggin on the other hand may offer hers up for munching on...

:o That'll teach me!

Posted

Do I detect a lukewarm reception here?

Edited by valiant

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Do I detect a lukewarm reception here?

It'll be boiling hot in that vat of oil booby trap set outside my hat cupboard.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

If that does happen like the midia says, I actually will eat my socks i've been wearing all day, Film it, and then put it on Youtube for you all to see!

Ummmmggghhh! Letme know , and you can send me some! :(