Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Cold July Maxima

damianslaw

Posted

With many spots in far north of england not seeing temperatures any higher than 13 degrees today it has made me ask what have been the lowest maximas recorded in July..

13 c is a poor figure but I'm sure we have seen some 11's and possibly even 10's under exceptional conditions... Anyone have such info..

Posted

I would imagine a sub 10C max is possible here. 11.4C yesterday, nearby Copley offical meto site had a low max of 10.6C in August 2004. A sub 10C must have been recorded in scotland at some point?

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

Coldest july day on record was in 2004 and I can remember it too,felt like a winters day with NE-ly gales.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/20...00120040708.gif

I only got upto 8c old reading.

Only 10c in sennybridge

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
I think July 2004 does hold the record. 9.6c was the high in Sennybridge wales. The maximum here was 13.5c that day with a blowing gale and rain.

Worse July day ever.

Lowest max for July 2004 at Sennybridge was 10.7C.

http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/SENNYBR...-2004/35070.htm

Boltshope Park, Co Durham was down to 9.2C on same day.

Found a few 9's for Scottish stations aswell for different years

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Edited by Tucco

Posted

A very good link there on history temps. :)

Looking at Sennybridge for the lowest recent mins, I would`ve put July 1986 with a lower temp to 2007.

July 9th 1986.....3.9c

July 31st 2007...3.3c!!!

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A trawl through my weather records for Cleadon reveals the following July days with maxima below 13C:

1 July 1997, 10.0C

6 July 2000, 11.5C

10 July 2000, 12.8C

14 July 2001, 11.6C

8 July 2004, 12.1C

I don't have the data for Cleadon for 17 July 2009 yet, but Neil Bradshaw at South Shields reported a max of 14.8C, so it doesn't look like it will be anything exceptional.

The July 2004 event did indeed have fairly widespread maxima of 9C, but it has also been seen in other months. On 9 July 1993 a cold front moved south across southern England bringing exceptionally low midday temperatures in the south- 7 or 8C widely reported, but the date did not register any particularly low maxima because it was much warmer either side of the front.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

21st july 07 one of the worst shocking weather days, my max 13.0oC that day, got to be the worst summer day here, also 20th the day before was bad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

21st July '07 was a pretty cold day in Cleadon as well- I recorded a max of 14.2C which was the lowest in July since 2004.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Lowest July maxima here in the last 32 years ( 0900-0900 g.m.t ) are;

10.6c on 5th 1978

11.6c on 9th 1980

11.0c on 18th 1987

11.5c on 9th 1993

11.2c on 8th 2004

11.9c on 21st 2007.

There was a daytime ( 0900-2100 ) max' of 9.8c on the 8th in 2004 but the temp' rose to 11.2c by 0900 g.m.t the next morning.

Posted
On 9 July 1993 a cold front moved south across southern England bringing exceptionally low midday temperatures in the south- 7 or 8C widely reported, but the date did not register any particularly low maxima because it was much warmer either side of the front.
11.5c on 9th 1993

Looks like I stand corrected then!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The first week of July 2004 certainly was a real all seasons in one week job. I think Bristol must have been let off lightly with maxima as rain ended at 09.00 so the air wasn't as supercooled by rain as other places. There was quite a difference within a few days of temperatures:

06th: 25.6C

07th: 17.3C

08th: 14.0C

Interesting though that the 9th was quite a muggy still feeling day that ended with intense rainfall and thunder.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

With regard to low maxima in August I've recorded 3 sub 11c days, these were 10.7c on 7th in 1987, 10.5c on 22nd in 1993 and 10.9c on 28th in 2003.

The 2003 event is quite remarkable in that it occurred in an otherwise warm month and also for the fact that it is the only August to record a max' lower than 14c between 2000 and present and the only one below 13c since 1993.

Posted

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread so far, as guessed maxes of 10 and indeed below have been recorded, yes I do remember 8 July 2004 as a particularly cold day, it just shows how upper cold temps combined with a strong north or north east wind and persistant heavy rain can make for a really cold day in July.

Posted
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: cold winters, cold springs, cold summers and cold autumns
  • Location: Yorkshire Puddin' aka Kirkham, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom

I wonder how close to the Equator sub 10C maximum temperatures have been recorded at sea level locations in high summer? I suspect it would probably be a close toss between northern New England in North America which has the cold Labrador current washing its shores, or coastal eastern Siberia in Asia by the cold Sea of Okhotsk or southern Patagonia in South America surrounded by the cold Southern Ocean.