Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 6th/7th - Coldest Summer Weekend In Parts For Over 10 Years!

I've come to the conclusion after viewing various weather forums that it seems when it comes to model watching in the summer alot of subjectivity is thrown out of the window and peoples desperation to see what isnt on the charts comes to fruition, i`m so glad i can be subjective when viewing the models and not let my weather preferences cloud my views when a cool northwesterly flow is treated by some like the best thing since slice bread, the ensembles are below average end of the week and only rise to near average any thundery hot plume has been downgraded as we get nearer, it seems i am the only person to see this, apologies if i`m not but it seems that way.

The CET is currently running slightly below average so far this summer which has hardly been as good as most people would make you think with sunshine and rainfall levels near average too, well todays washout will change that :(

More cold nights possible end of the week into the weekend of course ground frost around the summer solstice is common in central and southern england :)

Edited by Eugene

Posted

Eugene: you need to change "subjectivity" and "subjective" to "objectivity" and "objective" to avoid saying the opposite of what you mean :(:) (unless you've got past even my irony radar?!) EDIT: think I'm too late, looks like he's gone - oh well.

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted

Eugene does have a point though: for example, for my area (West Mids) the Met Office is now predicting that "Thursday and Friday will be bright, fresh and breezy" and for the UK from Saturday that "Temperatures will be generally near normal at first...".

Posted

If your looking for a much longer settled spell than we`ve seen for years 2 weeks or even more(which I want in some ways got lots to do) the high is better off further out west to start with,I really can`t see any ground frosts from now on,there hasn`t been yet this month.

It will be quite cool probably quite cloudy to start with,with that NW-ly.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
I really can`t see any ground frosts from now on,there hasn`t been yet this month.

The last widespread ground frost in the south of England was only 3 days ago:

http://tinyurl.com/kle3j5

Edited by Higher Ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

I haven't had a ground frost since late April :unsure: I don't think there will be any more.. temperatures could drop down to 6C or so.. but ground frosts are very rare for southern England after June

Edited by robthefool

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
If your looking for a much longer settled spell than we`ve seen for years 2 weeks or even more(which I want in some ways got lots to do) the high is better off further out west to start with,I really can`t see any ground frosts from now on,there hasn`t been yet this month.

It will be quite cool probably quite cloudy to start with,with that NW-ly.

Yes, certainly if it's a prolonged spell of dry weather you're after the better bet is a ridge from the Azores High, as the setup of Euro High and Atlantic trough is prone to thundery interruptions. However, there is always the risk of cool cloudy weather arising in that setup especially in the north, and even the dryness is not a hard and fast rule- August 1995 was one of the driest on record, yet the dry spell came mainly from a Euro high and Atlantic trough, both being too far west to spawn much in the way of thundery interruptions.

I usually think of blocking over and to the east of Britain, whether associated with an Azores ridge or Atlantic trough, to be the safest bet for warm sunny continental-style summer weather.

Ironically the cool cloudy stuff from the NW will result from the high being too far west, but it does not look likely to last long. There should be some good sunny spells in a week's time as the high settles over Britain- any anticyclonic gloom shouldn't last for long at this time of year once the high gets on top of us.

Posted
I've come to the conclusion after viewing various weather forums that it seems when it comes to model watching in the summer alot of subjectivity is thrown out of the window and peoples desperation to see what isnt on the charts comes to fruition, i`m so glad i can be subjective when viewing the models and not let my weather preferences cloud my views when a cool northwesterly flow is treated by some like the best thing since slice bread, the ensembles are below average end of the week and only rise to near average any thundery hot plume has been downgraded as we get nearer, it seems i am the only person to see this, apologies if i`m not but it seems that way.

Pot calling the kettle black here, you have been guilty of this Eugene.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted
The last widespread ground frost in the south of England was only 3 days ago:

http://tinyurl.com/kle3j5

Theres been no ground frosts here I should said did have the coldest night since,June 2005 which was the last time there was a ground frost in June at 2.5c here.

I usually think of blocking over and to the east of Britain, whether associated with an Azores ridge or Atlantic trough, to be the safest bet for warm sunny continental-style summer weather.

Ironically the cool cloudy stuff from the NW will result from the high being too far west, but it does not look likely to last long. There should be some good sunny spells in a week's time as the high settles over Britain- any anticyclonic gloom shouldn't last for long at this time of year once the high gets on top of us.

The GFS 0z run was taking the high too far west,the 6z would be ideal and ECM would be ok,but trouble is I can`t really cut any hay this week as theres other jobs on early next week, so that takes it into next thursday now running a week behind.

Otherwise I would be cutting a field of hay this thursday as it would`ve dry oh well,although it would be slow making this week into the weekened as it looks cool.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Eugene: you need to change "subjectivity" and "subjective" to "objectivity" and "objective" to avoid saying the opposite of what you mean :rolleyes::D (unless you've got past even my irony radar?!) EDIT: think I'm too late, looks like he's gone - oh well.

And I'm even earlier! <_< :closedeyes: :blush:

Surprised to see this thread way down the list when the cool weather reminiscent of autumn is here now not stuck in the future like any hot weather seeems to be B)

More cool weather since yesterday, yesterday afternoon/evening was very dreary indeed with wet overcast conditions reminiscent of november, it did clear though after 8 pm but when i parked my car and came back to it the front wndow was all steamed up with condensation B) ... Had to wipe it thats incredible for almost late June you expect that to start occuring mid to late autumn when the evenings get dark not in almost mid June.

Today really feels cool and autumnal, breezy and overcast :(

Edited by Eugene

LOL......I just love when people say any cool unsettled weather in FI is too far away to be concerned about but its cool, very dull and very windy right now and was very wet yesterday in places and on monday, really cracks me up when people say that.

Maybe people need to look out the window more than model watch :lol:

Posted
LOL......I just love when people say any cool unsettled weather in FI is too far away to be concerned about but its cool, very dull and very windy right now and was very wet yesterday in places and on monday, really cracks me up when people say that.

Maybe people need to look out the window more than model watch :)

It's cloudy but otherwise pleasantly warm with a gentle breeze here :)

But of course not everyone wants and expects 30c and unbroken sunshine every day in summer :lol:

And to have an average max of 20c then for every day at 25c there has to be one at 15c :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Maybe people need to look out the window more than model watch :lol:

It's no different to the beginning of June when it was warm dry and sunny nearly everywhere but the models showed a breakdown and the subsequent resumption of high pressure was out in FI so it wasn't worth people getting excited or concerned about the arrival of the high pressure.

The weather is cool, dull and windy in places- it's pretty bland in Exeter today- but I think we all know that this is highly unlikely to last, and that there is a good chance of the entire of next week being dry, sunny and very warm, and probably the weekend as well for southern areas. It is hard to see where any kind of cool unsettled weather actually comes from before the end of June- warm and thundery looks the most likely outcome in any breakdown.

Posted

Yesterday was cool at 14.3c max,today was a tad higher at 16.2c with lots of cloud some sun and 2 showers,this looks like a rather cloudy west/NW-ly next 2 days maybe a shower/light drizzle but it won`t amount to much,this is typical weather when I start cutting hay usually,only it`s cooler to normal yet.

Next week will be wall to wall sun. :lol:

Edited by Snowyowl9

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I dont think its that bad at all, plus, most Julys in the past have had at least a couple of days of 15c or less. Take 2000 for example, there were 19 days were 17c or below was recorded at Humberside (my nearest weather station). There have been none so far this month. So this current spell is nothing out of the ordinary.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
I dont think its that bad at all, plus, most Julys in the past have had at least a couple of days of 15c or less. Take 2000 for example, there were 19 days were 17c or below was recorded at Humberside (my nearest weather station). There have been none so far this month. So this current spell is nothing out of the ordinary.

Good point. In 1980 it was only 12C in London; and there was snow in the Lake District! :doh:

PS: Sorry, that was July!

Edited by Pete Tattum

Posted

July 2000 was the coldest in my 27 years of records. It averaged just 14.7C with only one summer month colder since.

We didnt reach 20C until the 18th and the first half of the month had a mean of just 14.0C. The highest max all month was 23.7C on the 30th which remained the lowest since 1988 until 2007 came along.

Posted
http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/cgi...TIME=1247147425

Shocking temperatures today, only 13C to 15C in places, quite incredible it really doesn't feel like July at all today, everyone is commenting on it at work how chilly it feels.

This post of yours just shows how hypocritical you're being.

You call temps of 15C shocking which are 5C below average and yet last week when the temps were 10C above average you said it wasn't that hot!

Please lets have some consistency in your posts!

P.S the link you provided is showing temps of 16/17/18C and 18C is only 3C below the average. :lol:

I can't wait for a mild winter. :winky:

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted

While there is nothing incredible about it, it has felt quite chilly today, and the week has been mostly cloudy, damp and miserable.

One or two of the replies in here are nothing short of juvenile, but then it's come to be expected from certain individuals.

Posted

Last 3 days have been from a NW-ly so it should be cool,the wind dropped off a certain time of day each of the last 3 days for some strange reason,yesterday felt mild,today has felt the coolest day of the week,As with the last NW wind we get such alot of cloud comes in,went quite dark a couple of hours ago,brighter now.

As for temps morning sun upto 17c

This time last year it was cooler at 15.5c with rain.

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

I've just deleted 15 posts, please stay on topic and dont take the bait... Thanks :lol:

In fact, might as well lock it since this is now discussing a weekend a month ago!