Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

June 6th/7th - Coldest Summer Weekend In Parts For Over 10 Years!

What a shockingly bad weekend, only 11C/12C in parts of the west midlands yesterday so the coldest summers day for over 10 years even lower in wales i think somewhere in wales reported 7.7C as the lowest max yesterday:O that is cold probably very near the coldest June max ever recorded in June, snow was reported in northern england on friday which is unheard of in June, today has started very poor indeed only 8C here now with persistent heavy rain.

Everybody wearing winter clothes ie coats, gloves and scarfs outside and at the twenty 20 even saw man utds goal keeper Van Der Sar at old trafford enjoying englands comfortable win over argentina in the rugby wearing a scarf :D

I`m surprised at the lack of comments of how bad it is on the weather forums when everybody else is very miserable indeed over this weekends weather after last weekend, like nassar hussein said on the cricket commenting on the lack of swing yesterday when it was just too cold, he said it doesn't get very warm very often in england not far off to be honest.

People doubted it could get this cold this weekend after last weekend and said it wouldn't be too bad(it is beyond bad)

Hopefully next time GFS goes for low temps in summer this weekend can be showed to those who write it off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Yes true, but the cold that is being experienced is only a product of supercooling by very heavy rainfall. Right now here it's cloudy and 15C. It is not deep rooted cold from the Arctic, if it stopped raining now in central areas the temperature would probably rebound to about 15C in central areas.

This cooling could happen any year in all honesty - it happened last year to I recall - it was only 6C at midday one day last June in heavy rainfall, although warmer moved in that day and it was 18C by 8pm.

To me it sounds not like you're trying to prove a point but that your frustrated with the state of the weather - I understand it's not very exciting unless you get something out of it like snow or a thunderstorm. We just have to live with it I guess

Posted
What a shockingly bad weekend, only 11C/12C in parts of the west midlands yesterday so the coldest summers day for over 10 years even lower in wales i think somewhere in wales reported 7.7C as the lowest max yesterday:O that is cold probably very near the coldest June max ever recorded in June, snow was reported in northern england on friday which is unheard of in June, today has started very poor indeed only 8C here now with persistent heavy rain.

Everybody wearing winter clothes ie coats, gloves and scarfs outside and at the twenty 20 even saw man utds goal keeper Van Der Sar at old trafford enjoying englands comfortable win over argentina in the rugby wearing a scarf :D

I`m surprised at the lack of comments of how bad it is on the weather forums when everybody else is very miserable indeed over this weekends weather after last weekend, like nassar hussein said on the cricket commenting on the lack of swing yesterday when it was just too cold, he said it doesn't get very warm very often in england not far off to be honest.

People doubted it could get this cold this weekend after last weekend and said it wouldn't be too bad(it is beyond bad)

Hopefully next time GFS goes for low temps in summer this weekend can be showed to those who write it off.

My isn't it cold for June ! thanks for forecasting it EU..... :D

Edited by Delta76

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Yesterday there was thunderstorms and rain all day long, I was in the car at 1pm in the afternoon and up here towards the valleys it was only 7.5c, the day went on the temputure didn't change, infact the weather got worse, the rain intensified, there was a 20mph speed limit enforced on the M4 in North Cardiff and the A470 between Cardiff North and Pontypridd turned into a river and firecrews were sent down the stretch of highway to pump out water, lots of other main A roads connectiong the city of Cardiff with the S.WALES VALLEYs were also shut. The temputure droped to 4.9c in the night at my home weather station, its only 9.1c now at 12:10pm on the 7th of June. BBC Wales news is reporting that flooding has occured in some Cardiff North suburbs and area in Pontypridd, 100people have been evacuated in the Pontypridd area and in some houses the water was up to the cealing. SO,,,,,,,,,,,,,! here we go again another flood filled summer to add to the rest of them!

Posted
What a shockingly bad weekend, only 11C/12C in parts of the west midlands yesterday so the coldest summers day for over 10 years even lower in wales i think somewhere in wales reported 7.7C as the lowest max yesterday:O that is cold probably very near the coldest June max ever recorded in June, snow was reported in northern england on friday which is unheard of in June.

You should go and work for the Daily Express !

Not sure where you get your stats from but it really isn't that exceptional for June. Certainly not exceptional here - both days this weekend mid to upper teens, heavy rain and one rumble of thunder overnight.

As for 'probably very near the coldest June max ever recorded in June' - when else would you record it ? :lol:

Posted

June 1997 gave just 1 cold day as either side it was 16c and 13c June 25th/27th.

Otherwise there has to go back to 1991 for the coldest weekened if it was for very low mins but for maxes if today carries on with the rain intact it will be the coldest on record here for low maxes in summer 2 days in a row weekened or week. :lol:

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Well yesterday here at my location it was the coldest summer day i can remember. The max temp yesterday only reached 8.6c and combined with that it was wet all day and fairly windy,what an amazing differance between this weekend and last weekend.

Posted

for me an isolated cold wet weekend is a welcome change as I like all extremes - the problem will be if its like this for a third summer in a row, then that'll be a 3 year chunk out of my life where I cant have bbq's, go for a swim and sit out on atleast a few warm thundery nights ..

:lol: sam

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Not a wet year here in the SE by any stretch, if anything relatively v dry!

We've had about 70% the avg annual rainfall to date, but would be considerably lower if we didnt have the foot of snow in Feb, which saw monthly rainfall of 130% the avg.

Spring has probably been one the warmest in a long time - just ironic that we should enter June and it be colder than the previous month to two months!

Posted

What srikes me about this year so far in the amount of easterly winds we seem to be getting. If we were in January I would be under 2 foot of snow now!!! It has been cold for ages now (not including the back holiday weekend or last week end when it wasn't to bad. I know Brian Glaze on TWO mentioned a severe winter could happen soon due to the chance of a prelonged easterly becoming greater. Until then I m hoping for a bit of rain. Its been months now since we have had more than a few hours of rain, everywhere is looking very brown and yellow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
What srikes me about this year so far in the amount of easterly winds we seem to be getting. If we were in January I would be under 2 foot of snow now!!! It has been cold for ages now (not including the back holiday weekend or last week end when it wasn't to bad. I know Brian Glaze on TWO mentioned a severe winter could happen soon due to the chance of a prelonged easterly becoming greater. Until then I m hoping for a bit of rain. Its been months now since we have had more than a few hours of rain, everywhere is looking very brown and yellow.

The current setup would certainly bring a fair amount of snow if it happened in winter, with the air being sourced from the Arctic and Russia, but many of the easterlies during the spring had a southerly source and so probably wouldn't have been cold enough had it been winter. Easterly winds during the spring are nothing unusual though, and if anything recent springs have often tended to be less "easterly" than usual, making a normal frequency of easterly winds seem high.

With regards the cold for early June, it's notable, but not particularly exceptional. In Cleadon I recorded maxima below 10C on the 3rd June 1998 and 4th June 2000. During the period 25-30 June 1997 (admitedly an exceptional dull wet period) maxima were widely around 10C across much of eastern England. The period 8th-15th June 1995 also had some very low maxima in the east.

As for the snow, it has been exclusively confined to high ground and no more widespread than it was in early June 2001. It occurred locally at low levels in Junes 1985 and 1991 and more widely (exceptionally so) in 1975.

Posted

Heres another cold day I missed from 1994 a touch lower to yesterday,it was the S-ly tracking low

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00119940604.gif

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/archive/ra/19...00219940604.gif

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted

It has been nothing unusual here. The coldest maximum was 13.6C on the 4th along with a minima of 7.3C on the same day.

As recently as 2007 had a max of 11.8C and 2005 a min of 4.4C. Only a single day in the last 30 years has managed a max in single figures, that was 9.9C in 1986.

We've also had no measurable rainfall this month so far either, in fact none for 10 days straight now! May however was much wetter than average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mediterranean climates (Valencia is perfect)

Shockingly cold down here at the moment.. It is very unusual for us to have sub 15C max in June here, it feels freezing!

Posted

Interesting about the easterly comment,as since mid April I`ve lost count as there were 2 phases of E-lys then and the middle of May also,only last year we had the most easterly May on record with 25 days.

Just had 10 consecutive east days and still a few more left during this coming week. :(

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

I was out gigging last night - and it was freezing! :lol:

Most of the crowd took picnics along with them and were sitting in folding chairs with coats, jackets and blankets wrapped round them!

Ahh - the great British summer - gotta love it! :)

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I'm loving it so far...

My room is a comfortable 18ºc, significantly lower than 32ºc last weekend. I can sleep in comfort :lol:

Posted
The current setup would certainly bring a fair amount of snow if it happened in winter, with the air being sourced from the Arctic and Russia, but many of the easterlies during the spring had a southerly source and so probably wouldn't have been cold enough had it been winter. Easterly winds during the spring are nothing unusual though, and if anything recent springs have often tended to be less "easterly" than usual, making a normal frequency of easterly winds seem high.

With regards the cold for early June, it's notable, but not particularly exceptional. In Cleadon I recorded maxima below 10C on the 3rd June 1998 and 4th June 2000. During the period 25-30 June 1997 (admitedly an exceptional dull wet period) maxima were widely around 10C across much of eastern England. The period 8th-15th June 1995 also had some very low maxima in the east.

As for the snow, it has been exclusively confined to high ground and no more widespread than it was in early June 2001. It occurred locally at low levels in Junes 1985 and 1991 and more widely (exceptionally so) in 1975.

This period of weather has produced expectionally cold max's on Friday. Coldest June day since at least the 1960's in this area. The snowfall was the most extensive over the N Pennines so late since at least the mid 80's.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport
  • Location: North Kenton (Tyne-and-Wear)6miles east from newcastle airport

last four days temps

thursday 4th max...11.6c......min..8.1c

Friday....5th max...10.2c......min...6.4c

Saturday 6th max...12.4c.....min...8.4c

Sunday 7th max.....12/6c.....min...6.6c

Overall my mean temp for June has fallen to 11.47c, this was reading 15.25c on wednesday 3rd June

nigel

newcastle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
This period of weather has produced expectionally cold max's on Friday. Coldest June day since at least the 1960's in this area. The snowfall was the most extensive over the N Pennines so late since at least the mid 80's.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Ah, I stand corrected for NE England then! The problem with using Cleadon is that it is a coastal site (only 2 miles inland) and so the previous low maxima in 1998 and 2000 could have had a lot to do with the wind being directly off the sea in both cases, whereas on Friday it was northerly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Today's max' of 10.2c occurred at 0931 g.m.t, half and hour before the rain arrived, and was actually 0.2c lower than yesterday's.

If it doesn't get any higher by 0900 tomorrow it will be the lowest June max' since 1999.

Had the rain arrived earlier this morning I would have been looking at one of the coldest June days on record as the temperature has been between 6.7c and 8.0c for the rest of the day.

Edited by Terminal Moraine

Posted
Ah, I stand corrected for NE England then! The problem with using Cleadon is that it is a coastal site (only 2 miles inland) and so the previous low maxima in 1998 and 2000 could have had a lot to do with the wind being directly off the sea in both cases, whereas on Friday it was northerly.

The coldest offical site for this spells will be Copley, Co Durham at 6.4C on Friday.

Just scrapped 3 sub 10C days in a row here.

5.9C,8.4C,9.9C.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Although cool here weve had no days below 10c during this 'cool' spell. Infact today we reached 15c. :D