Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Noctilucent Cloud Season

kar999

Posted

Love the atmospheric shots Storm! I've gotten too lazy to take the car out at that time of night - must try harder :blink:

Kar: was very lucky to get a clear view myself as we'd had a thunderstorm pass over only an hour before and it's tipping down again this morning

Thanks, id probably have been the same normally at that time but since Ive wanting to get shots from different viewpoints and as its nearing the end of the season I thought id better get a move on!

A lovely display of noctilucent clouds from Edinburgh last night, the same ones as seen in the lovely shots from frogesque and StormMad26. I drove up the nearby Blackford Hill to get some shots across the city. The added bonus is that the dark clouds on the horizon are the cumulonimbus anvils from the early evening thunderstorm here, but no lightning visible while I was up taking photos mad.gif Enjoy the pictures!

post-8945-12482625480405_thumb.jpg

post-8945-12482625509068_thumb.jpg

Panoramas across Edinburgh, with Arthur's Seat on the right and the castle near the centre.

post-8945-1248262555002_thumb.jpg

post-8945-12482625575094_thumb.jpg

Single shots of the middle part of the display

post-8945-12482625595734_thumb.jpg

A zoom in on some of the structure

post-8945-12482625624043_thumb.jpg

Edinburgh, anvil and noctilucent clouds

Just seen these here - There fantastic with the lights of Edinburgh, distant CB's and the Noctilucent clouds above. I have actually wondered before whether itd be a first to get a photo of lightning from a distant thunderstorm aswell as Noctilucent clouds above, now that would be a shot!

Posted

sunny starry skies: Those a really fantastic panramic shots of the city. :clap:

I definitely have to try harder :lol:

Posted

Thanks, id probably have been the same normally at that time but since Ive wanting to get shots from different viewpoints and as its nearing the end of the season I thought id better get a move on!

Just seen these here - There fantastic with the lights of Edinburgh, distant CB's and the Noctilucent clouds above. I have actually wondered before whether itd be a first to get a photo of lightning from a distant thunderstorm aswell as Noctilucent clouds above, now that would be a shot!

Cheers StormMad26, lightning was my hope, sadly not a single flash in 45mins up the hill. I might have had a chance a little earlier while the storm was just about active, but I needed to dry out and have dinner after being caught in the storm!

sunny starry skies: Those a really fantastic panramic shots of the city. clap.gif

I definitely have to try harder laugh.gif

thanks frogesque - all I had to do was point the camera though - the scene set itself!smile.gif

sss

Posted

The night of 21st July 2009 at 10:41pm. I apologise for the blur, (taken inside a double glazed front door) but by far the brightest ones I've seen ever.

In fact, no word of a lie here. I've seen more NLCs this year alone than in the past 10. Solar cycle? Must be. But I'll leave you good people to be the judge of that.

Phil.

post-8209-12484475278614_thumb.jpg