Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Michael Fish Forecast - Upgraded!

Paul

Posted

I'm really proud to announce that legendary forecaster Michael Fish will be back on your screens presenting a weekly forecast for Netweather every Thursday, from next week onwards to give you a look ahead to the weekend and beyond.

As a beta test of the video system etc, he has put together a short forecast presentation today, it isn't using the new graphics and presentation system the new service will use, but it will hopefully give you a small taster of what's to come. You can view it here:

[nwlink=http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=michaelfish;sess=]Michael Fish Weather Forecast[/nwlink]

Michael's first full forecast, using the new system will be available next Thursday, in the meantime if you have any ideas for things you would like to see, or feedback, please feel free to post it in here!

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Absolutely brilliant! It's great to hear the Mr Fish's dulcet tones doing what he does best! I like the graphics, even though you hint that they will change, they are in a format which is familiar to us who use the forum regularly.

Can't wait for next thursday!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Once a professional always a professional, sounded great and talk of the jetstream

something the BBC always fail to mention, thoroughly enjoyable forecast apart from

the mention of haar paying a visit to the east coast, typical of an easterly flow in the

warmer months. Looking forward to the next forecast. Maybe once a month perhaps we could

have a monthly round up where we talk of CET and averages rain/sun etc and see how they compare

with previous years.

Great to have a weather legend on Netweather.tv..!! :gathering:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Brilliant ! (although I think Mr Fish looked a lot more comfortable in front of the BBC cameras than he does in front of a webcam !!!) And is he going to start contributing to the forum at all ?

Posted
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)
  • Location: Carnoustie Angus Scotland. (week days) Dundee (weekends)

First class guys well done!! Good to see Michael back on our!!! screens. Will look forward to next thursday.

Mandy

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Fantastic. I couldn't agree more once a professional always a professional. How great it will be to see a proper weather forecast with proper weather charts, not some dumbed down version for the perceived dumb masses. The more technical the better as far as I am concerned!

A big thank you to MF and all at NW.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Fantastic! The legend is back.! Good to see Mike doing what he does best. A "BIG" Jewel in the crown for Netweather, making it way ahead of any other weather website. Looking forward to Mikes experience and forecasting ,every week, so refreshing from" most" tv weather forecasters. :gathering::drunk: Good to see you again Mike and well done Paul for all your hard work ,getting everything up togeather. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I'll join others in giving this the big thumbs up- a very promising first forecast indeed. The first half of it, in particular, reminded me of the "old-style" BBC forecasts that I used to watch regularly in the mid to late 1990s, and in a good way.

I may be a long-range forecaster on here with my own methods but I for one will certainly be interested to see these forecasts- I could potentially learn some things from them (just as I did with the BBC forecasts in the 1990s) due to Michael Fish's much greater long-standing experience of weather forecasting. It'll also be interesting to see what the N-W set of graphics will look like on the finalised version- there is real potential here to get what essentially amounts to old-style forecasts but with improved graphics, the best of both worlds.

Posted

This is excellent and I shall be especially looking forward to the forecasts during the winter months.

From a forecasting perspective I shall be particularly interested to see which models Michael prefers and how much of his forecast shall be based on the GFS or whether he prefers the UKMO/ECM.

Posted

Looks good guys, should be a very positive addition to NW, a few things that may help it to be better...

1. The sound was quiet even with mine turned up to maximum.

2. Would be good to have the relevant days shown on the charts which appear.

Posted

Well I was surprised when I visited the homepage just now and saw the headline and read the text, as well as the photo which I saw looking at me first! lol

Just watched the 'taster' forecast and thought there must be something on the forum about it.

I must say i'm more than impressed! and will certainly be watching with great interest to see his forecasts/thoughts in the future! It also reminds me of when he used to do the local SW forecast for BBC Spotlight when I was a child.

:D

how on earth did I accidently post this in the Model Output Descussion thread just now?! :D

Edited by StormMad26

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

Excellent, this is good news indeed, a well respected and legendry forecaster back; I will certainly be tuned in every Thursday to view Michael’s forecasts. Thanks Michael and thank you Net Weather for bringing this to us.

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I concur with all the comments above. Michael Fish is up there with the all time greats such as Bert Foord and Jack Scott to name but two; a coup for net-weather.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Well done Net-Weather for securing the experience of Michael Fish.

As ever a very polished and profesional forecast just like his BBC days.

Would be good if you could increase the volume as i found it rather quiet even with my PC control turned on full volume.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This is the equivalent of getting someone like Sir Alex Ferguson on a football forum! Absolutely fantastic, can't wait until next Thursday. Great to see you back Michael!

Posted

Would like to echo many of the comments made on this. Excellent work from Netweather to get Michael back doing forecasts. I found it very informative and very well presented and, well, look forward to seeing next Thursday's update!

It would be great if he started posting on the forum, too.

:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Excellent news.

Edit: Just seen the forecast by Michael, very good and I can't wait for some more in the future!

Edited by andy_leics22

Posted

This is excellent. Well done Netweather.tv - leading the way and offering a fantastic service for all.

Just out of interest, will the forthcoming graphics and presentation system be using chroma key technology?

I have been looking into producing chroma key based forecasts for educational and training purposes, but trying to find a suitable - cost effective - graphics solution has caused many headaches :)