Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Reports & Pictures Chase Day 20

Paul Sherman

Posted

Started the Day in Wichita (Ks) with High Hopes but the day did not go as Planned and as per the Planned Forecast. Was hoping something could pop up in front of the Surging Cold Front but no cigar with that so we had to then go find the CF And get what was on offer on what was essentially a Big Old Linear Squall Line. Make no mistake this was not a Moderate Risk day and was only Borderline Slight IMO! We did not even get any Wind Gusts and only sporadic Penny Sized Hail even being in the Cores from 7-10pm!

Anyhow some Pics of the 1 Storm that did show signs of Briefly being Supercellular (Debatable though) with a Wall Cloud

post-24-1242490598_thumb.jpg - Cell NE Of Wichita trying to Organise

post-24-1242490629_thumb.jpg - Very Poorly Organised and Going Outflow Dominant

post-24-1242490657_thumb.jpg - Totally Outflow Dominant Now!

post-24-1242490683_thumb.jpg - Gust Front

post-24-1242490705_thumb.jpg - Approaching Winfield Storm

Paul S

Posted

Great pictures Paul, i don't think you can beat photo's of wall cloud structures, my favorite. :D

Posted

3rd one is amazing, I was watching the streaming last night and was Whoooooo'ing at it, and obviously too loud because I got scowled at, coz his nibs couldn't hear his film :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Especially like the last one Paul, must have been a helluva sight watching that storm roll in!

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Some great 'mothership' structures there but not what i expected to see on such a promising day and i cant believe 20 days into the chase and NO Tornadoes..!! (Well maybe one)

Fridays charts were screaming 'Tornado Outbreak'(although there was doubt on shear values) and everyone believed the hype..!! Even with a few hours to go everything looked on target, just goes to show deterministic modeling and real time observations no matter how good it looks will not always deliver.

Cant believe that only ONE tornado was reported in Miami, Roberts County Texas and that was way from the 'greater risk' of a tornado chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

I love those cloud structures

Great pictures guys

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cloud 9

Just a few photos from Kansas. Was using camcorder most of the time so I never took so many shots.

post-2466-1242575086_thumb.jpg

post-2466-1242574847_thumb.jpg

post-2466-1242574882_thumb.jpg

post-2466-1242575130_thumb.jpg

post-2466-1242575235_thumb.jpg

Better than nowt.

Tom

post-2466-1242575304_thumb.jpg

Posted
great photos tom im really impressed looked like u could touch those clouds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know what Julie. You almost felt that you could reach and touch them. Photos do not do them justice.

Tom (on Pauls lapto).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Says something when that is a DISAPPOINTING day - no gusty winds, only penny sized hail....

I know you'd expect more going all that way and spending a lot of money, however....thats still a hell of a lot more than the crappy showers we are getting here, lol

Even our hopes of a plume by the end of the week have been dashed - from superb cape opportunities and LI -6 to -8, to nothing!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Tornadoey

I think my report is basically identical to The other guys, despite chasing several hundred miles up the line. I did get on some convection ahead of the line early, and there was signs of a wrapping wall cloud near Clinton Lake state Park with even an inflow tail forming.

post-1731-1242703734_thumb.jpg

(blurry as I took it whilst driving. Didn't have much time to stop and take photos today)

This quickly merged with the cold front and never amounted to much unfortunately. I was repositioning ahead and tried to skirt the south of Lawrence, KS but hit 2 back to back 4 way stop junctions. At each, there much have been 10-15 cars queueing each way, and it took forever to get through. Whoever invented 4-Way stops needs to be hunted down and killed :D . Needless to say, I got munched by the core. Sheltered out in a petrol station and eventually, had to drive south out of the core.

After that, I followed an outflow boundary heading south which kept causing little hooks to form on the line as shown below.

post-1731-1242703930_thumb.png

They produced a few wall clouds, but nothing anywhere close to forming a tornado. The line then gusted out big time, and chased me to Ottowa where I got cored again (small hail only again thankfully). I made it south briefly to catch the whales mouth at the edge of the gust front, but then just gave in on the day. Passed the TIV2 armada heading down to the next hook, but like the one I had been on, it amounted to nothing. A very frustrating day given how hyped it was. The only storm to produce was way out of my reach unfortunately.

post-1731-1242704105_thumb.jpg

Posted

Cant believe that only ONE tornado was reported in Miami, Roberts County Texas and that was way from the 'greater risk' of a tornado chance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Well this cell was a frustrating one to chase the area of Miami was all hilly and rocky with twists and turns in the road I had one brief glimpse of the back of the Tornado and it was just the edge once in Miami local red necks spoilt play by blocking the road by the time we had got round we had lost miles on it, we eventually called it a day as it crossed the i40 west of OKC . :cray:

It does sound frustrating. May I ask, why do you think the locals blocked the road? Just trying to spoil things for their own amusement or do they have other issues about people following storms?