Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Giant Spiders.....

noggin

Posted

http://ecoworldly.com/2009/05/07/giant-spi...global-warming/

I hate spiders. They frighten me. You never know which way they are going to run and I always fear they may run onto my feet and up my legs. :(

It makes me shiver, just to think about it. :(

Also, as head of the household, it unfortunately falls upon me to get rid of the damn things when they come into the house. (I have daughters aged 17 and 21.....imagine what it's like when a spider comes in. <_< :( )

Well, a year or two ago, I mentioned on here (and to anyone who would listen!) that the most enormous spider came into our house. It was HUGE. It was so big that I couldn't get the jam jar over it (first stage of spider removal is to trap it like this whilst working out what the heck to do next! This one was on the curtain too, which made it even more difficult to trap. :( ) I had never seen such a HUGE spider before. Since then, I have seen a couple more, but thankfully only in the garden.

I wondered at the time about the size of the thing........perhaps it IS global warming. :wub: :D

Has anyone else noticed bigger spiders and has anyone got one of those "bug catcher" things? The clear plastic box thingy on a pole-type thing? If so, is it any good? As the open door and window season is starting the damn things will be coming in again. :(

NB I know that the article refers to a spider in Greenland, but a spider is a spider wherever it lives....... :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

Jeebus, another thing to blame global warming on :wub: !

Seriously, I'm not that keen on spiders either but I can tolerate them. The biggest one I saw was back in 1993. I was 18 and just finished a late shift and was sat in my room and my little brother (13) was stood in my doorway and I noticed the spider on the top of the doorframe. My initial thought was "that's a biggie" so I rolled up a magazine and knocked it onto the floor. Well, my brother and I ran off shrieking as it scuttled off into the corner. It was about the size of a Yorkshire terrier!!! Well, maybe not, but it had to be at least 4 or 5 inches across. Anyway, we 2 brave lads went off to get the hoover, used the super long wand and sucked it up into the bag. We then put the bag inside a carrier bag and knotted it up. Just in case it somehow survived the experience and crawled out to eat us!! <_<

No, spiders don't bother me at all!!

Posted
Jeebus, another thing to blame global warming on :( !

Seriously, I'm not that keen on spiders either but I can tolerate them. The biggest one I saw was back in 1993. I was 18 and just finished a late shift and was sat in my room and my little brother (13) was stood in my doorway and I noticed the spider on the top of the doorframe. My initial thought was "that's a biggie" so I rolled up a magazine and knocked it onto the floor. Well, my brother and I ran off shrieking as it scuttled off into the corner. It was about the size of a Yorkshire terrier!!! Well, maybe not, but it had to be at least 4 or 5 inches across. Anyway, we 2 brave lads went off to get the hoover, used the super long wand and sucked it up into the bag. We then put the bag inside a carrier bag and knotted it up. Just in case it somehow survived the experience and crawled out to eat us!! <_<

No, spiders don't bother me at all!!

Sounds like you and your brother would fit in well here. :wub: :D

Posted

I think spiders are cool.

We have some rather large one's here. The species is 'Wolf Spider'.

Here is a pix I caught of one. He was looking directly at me. Note his eyes (all eight).

He stood there for about 2 seconds before beating a hasty retreat.

Most larger spiders are more afraid of you that you are of them.

I'm not posting this to make anyone feel creepy.

Just to show the pretty mottled coloration.

Some spiders are quite beautiful.

wolf.jpg

Posted
Some spiders are quite beautiful.

I could never describe any spider as being 'quite beautiful'!

Edited by Don

Posted

I have to say, spiders both fascinate and scare me! Similar effect to thunderstorms really...

Five a years ago, i was working in residential care and had to do sleep-ins on occassion. But the sleep-in room was something of a breeding ground for house spiders! I say that, because i would see 2-3 large spiders on the wall. A colleague of mine used to call them side plates, to describe how large they were! Obviously she was exaggerating slightly...

What's worse, one night as i was half asleep in the room, i felt one crawling on my leg :o I jumped up turned on the light and hit the quilt several times with a magazine! I found nothing but couldn't sleep for the rest of the night!

Thankfully, i don't work there anymore and i have also moved to a 5th floor apartment in 2007. I must be out of reach for them now, as i haven't seen a house spider since. Just some small ones nesting in the balcony plants but they are too small to worry me.

Karyo

Guest North Sea Snow Convection

Spiders are fascinating to watch on television, but with the exception of the cute little money spiders that I am quite happy to have on my hand or rescue from perhaps getting squashed etc - I prefer to keep my distance from them and wouldn't like to have one too near me. I have heard of exotic spiders being imported with crates of food and discovered on delivery at supermarkets. Something to think about next time you are shopping and rummaging around in a box on the shelf for a ripe enough avacado :)

The insects that I both fear and loathe though are wasps :o Having been stung by a swarm of them and chased indoors whilst pruning a garden hedge I am particularly wary of them. Horrid experience. I won't stay in a room till someone removes one, or even better kills it. They are one of very very few creatures that I don't mind being zapped. Flies and bluebottles are not great though either - but that is more to do with them being dirty around food etc rather than any fear.

I had a shock on holiday once when I had taken something out of my wardrobe to wear for the evening. I felt this wriggling sensation of something crawling across my middle as I was getting dressed and shook my skirt and this cockroach fell out onto the floor. Ewwww - horrible! :lol: :) :o

So cockroaches are not the best - storm chasers in the hotels in the mid west beware!! :D

Edited by North Sea Snow Convection

Posted
I have heard of exotic spiders being imported with crates of food and discovered on delivery at supermarkets. Something to think about next time you are shopping and rummaging around in a box on the shelf for a ripe enough avacado :)

I had a shock on holiday once when I had taken something out of my wardrobe to wear for the evening. I felt this wriggling sensation of something crawling across my middle as I was getting dressed and shook my skirt and this cockroach fell out onto the floor. Ewwww - horrible! :):) :lol:

I once worked in a supermarket and there was some vile creepy crawly thing in with the bananas. We were all panicking and the manager was shouting "kill it, kill it". Whatever it was probably died of fright before it was bashed with the broom or whatever was used. I actually felt a bit sorry for the "thing" afterwards, but it isn't good to be introducing new and possibly deadly "things" into the country. Plus, the local trading standards officer may have had a lot to say, too!

I had a cockroach experience, too. Thankfully it wasn't in my clothes.............poor you, Tamara :( :o :o It was in the changing rooms at our local swimming pool. I didn't report it though, as I didn't know if it was usual to have a cockroach running around. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

Over in Oz a couple of years back, we were camping during a thunderstorm near Airlie Beach, anyway, we were sat in the cookingt area and across the concrete runs the largest spider I've ever seen, at least the size of two hands across. It just sat there, so we went to investigate, armed with a milk bottle, and darn me, if the thing didn't attack this bottle before heading out into the grass. Suffice to say, the tent was well checked that night!! I believe it was a bird eating variety.

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
I once worked in a supermarket and there was some vile creepy crawly thing in with the bananas. We were all panicking and the manager was shouting "kill it, kill it". Whatever it was probably died of fright before it was bashed with the broom or whatever was used. I actually felt a bit sorry for the "thing" afterwards, but it isn't good to be introducing new and possibly deadly "things" into the country. Plus, the local trading standards officer may have had a lot to say, too!

I had a cockroach experience, too. Thankfully it wasn't in my clothes.............poor you, Tamara :(:) :o It was in the changing rooms at our local swimming pool. I didn't report it though, as I didn't know if it was usual to have a cockroach running around. :)

nah - I don't recommend it girl! :doh:

I found myself checking the plughole in the bath last night after I read this thread! :lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I love spiders. When I was a kid, I used to make pets out of them. They's spin beautiful webs across the tops of my plastic buckets! :)

Posted

I love spiders. When I was a kid, I used to make pets out of them. They's spin beautiful webs across the tops of my plastic buckets! :D

[/quote

Pets? B) Typical boy! When I was a girl, we did nice things B) . We'd bend a soft stick into a loop, leaving a very long handle, then go and collect spider's webs with them. Whoever got the thickest layer in their loop was the winner! Ah, exciting times, those were. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I also kept pet worms under water! I didn't know what osmosis was then though - the worms exploded! :)

Posted
They spin beautiful webs across the tops of my plastic buckets! :D

LOL, I remember reading an article several years ago about 'Araneidan' species were' fed LSD (Lysergic acid diethylamide) to see if there was any difference in web building.

Obviously, this was done in the late sixties. :D

Evidently they (spiders) metabolized the LSD in the same way we do.

The web's were quite interesting. The geometry's did not resemble a spider's web in any shape or forum.

<h3 class="r">

</h3><h3 class="r">

</h3>