Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Other Extreme Weather Tours?

Posted

Hi Paul.

Just wondering whether NW has thought about doing other extreme weather tours?

I dont know what, but some other around the globe, perhaps some locally for those on tighter budgets (like snow spotting in Telford...well...you know what I mean).

Just an idea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Extreme fog chasing in Skegness perhaps?

Joking aside, its a good thread, as most people are aware, the stateside trips are expensive....How about storm chasing in Central France? Straight across on the ferry 4 hour drive to chase zone, et voila,a developing MCS or Supercell.....I guess something like this could be arranged at fairly short notice, a 4 or 5 day trip maybe, judging by storm activity over France during the late summer months, they'd be a very good chance of seeing some great storms!

Posted

extreme winter storms in scotland?

winds gusting 60 to 70 mph heavy rain etc.

a few problems very hard to predict and slightly out the way.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Squall Lines, Storm Force Winds & Extreme Weather!
Extreme fog chasing in Skegness perhaps?

Joking aside, its a good thread, as most people are aware, the stateside trips are expensive....How about storm chasing in Central France? Straight across on the ferry 4 hour drive to chase zone, et voila,a developing MCS or Supercell.....I guess something like this could be arranged at fairly short notice, a 4 or 5 day trip maybe, judging by storm activity over France during the late summer months, they'd be a very good chance of seeing some great storms!

Lol.

The France idea is a great one ajpoolshark. Money is tight here in SW Suffolk atm, so a chase down to France would be a definate second best. They experience some pretty intense storms down there during July and August. Maybe Paul can organise something in the near future.

Thats a plan! :D

Edited by Seasons

Posted

I'll send you my bank account details Paul for commission :D

I do think theres some scope though...might be interesting to explore.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted

We did try to organise a trip out to France to chase a couple of years back, but with the short notice required it never really took off, we could certainly look again though if there was a demand.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

If it was affordable then I would definitely be interested.

Posted
Hi Paul.

Just wondering whether NW has thought about doing other extreme weather tours?

I dont know what, but some other around the globe, perhaps some locally for those on tighter budgets (like snow spotting in Telford...well...you know what I mean).

Just an idea.

I know what, Paul and the crew stay in Texas,or at least on the Gulf coast,report back to us on the hurricane season and come home at Christmas :rolleyes: ,all the members chip in a few quid and we have our own people on hurricane watch for six months

Posted

What about UK Chasing? often enough storms break out first in the South and Migrate Northwards as the day progresses and it only takes 5 hours at best to get from Manchester to London (depending on Traffic.)

A few Minibuses and Recon points organised and you could have yourself a British chase team right there, It would be difficult obviously for anyone further North than Lancaster or as far South as Cornwall but you could have 2 sets of teams which set off in the morning at the "pick-up-point", then gun it down south and wait for the storms to begin.

Its not like Tornados, FC's, Hail, Frequent Lightning, Possible Supercells, and other Phenomeon dont occur here in the UK in Summer we all know it often does. Many people like myself dont drive and would happily pay 30 quid for a days chasing (or however much it would estimate to cost.)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
Lol.

The France idea is a great one ajpoolshark. Money is tight here in SW Suffolk atm, so a chase down to France would be a definate second best. They experience some pretty intense storms down there during July and August. Maybe Paul can organise something in the near future.

Thats a plan! :lol:

I'm most definitely up for that.....I even made discrete approaches to 'her who must be obeyed'...and she's given me the green light! :)

Posted
Would be quite good actually, your right, we do get tornadoes, hailstorms and frequent CG lightning and although nothing compared to the storms in the US it would really exciting to chase. The only downside is that we don't have a defined storm season like in the US so organising a specific time to chase would be difficult.

Not to mention the fact you dont have to keep stopping every 15 miles at a Toll Booth on the Motorway, unlike in France where you could be spending 5 minutes queued at these things as the Truckers/Cravanners/Commuters are all going places.

The UK "Season" Ive found generally lasts from June-August with the biggest of the storms between these 2 months, but it all depends on when we get Azores Highs and how quickly they break down. But that'd be the beauty of UK storm chasing, were all ready here in the country and would only take a day to organise something and then 5 hours to travel there.

Posted

Organise a trip to the Western Isles during Winter (January gales perhaps) and see some real extreme weather, massive waves and the last few remaining trees being ripped apart. It's whole a different world up there compared to cozy Souf East Engerland, and would be good fun to see live footage with the Atlantic roaring in. Similarly, opt for west cost Eire.

Posted

Guess you got somewhat soaked today and yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that? Was a nightmare in my line of work ; - )

Posted
Guess you got somewhat soaked today and yesterday, and the day before, and the day before that? Was a nightmare in my line of work ; - )
Aye, but it was Kilmacolm style soaked. I would love to have a rain gauge here, there would be some spectacular results. The rain that lashed today was something different, November in May. Beautiful. The way the temp dropped off as the rain fell. If it had been two or three weeks ago we'd have had snow today.

The rain here is something else. As soon as I stop being an eternal student and I get my rain gauge you'll see what I mean!! :doh:

Aye..what a week that was huh. :)

According to my local weather station almost 116mm of rain has fallen so far this month.

Posted
Aye..what a week that was huh. :huh:

According to my local weather station almost 116mm of rain has fallen so far this month.

Blimey,you would be like a fish out out of water here then[literally]2.3mm is our huge amount so far this month,and it was not a lot last month either B)