Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Solar Meltdown?

noggin

Posted

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...HREE-years.html

Although I have used a Mail link, I understand that this has been taken form the New Scientist.

So what do people think? Is this likely to happen? To what degree? It is a load of rubbish? What?

It could just be like the AIDS, bird flu, "everything else" scares which we have on a regular basis.

I am somewhat boggled by it. What does anyone else think?

:huh:

PS Could the current quiet sun carry on quietly for the next three years and then, suddenly.......kaboom.....and we have the scenario outlined above?

Edited by noggin

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Why does everything have to happen in 2012.

Pole Reversal, super storms, end of the world according to the Inca calendar etc etc.....

I've a hunch that NOTHING will happen in 2012! :D

Posted

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechn...dust-study.html

Now look here chaps, I don't know what's the matter with me this morning, but have a look at this link, too!

Taken from it.....

"When stars similar to the Sun get to the end of their life they swell up and become giant bodies known as "red giants". As a red giant burns out, the outer layers blow off eventually leaving it as a skeleton star - or white dwarf."

Put that together with the first link and the end of the world could be nigh(ish). :D

I'm sorry, I'm in an odd mood this morning. :D

Posted

Yes, but it should take about 6 billion years' for that to happen???

I trust we're still on the main sequence? :D:D:D

Posted

Simple fact is that none of us know when its going to happen, 2012 or 3012...either way it will happen, when is the question but why try to figure it our, if we cant predict the weather properly how are we going to predict this...at best we'd have 48 hours notice...the guy that wrote that article must have been watching 'Knowing', the fact is that since we do depend on electricity, it would be very stupid of us all to think we are untouchable because we definately arent, i'm convined something very very major will happen in my lifetime and i wouldnt be surprised if it happend within the next 10 years or so

Posted

Power grids going down,lights going out,infrastructure crumbling etc etc... boy those crazy greenies must be drooling in anticipation :D .

Meanwhile,here's one for all the doom-merchants amongst you. Enjoy.

http://projectcamelot.org/electrical_engineer.html

Posted
Simple fact is that none of us know when its going to happen, 2012 or 3012...either way it will happen, when is the question but why try to figure it our, if we cant predict the weather properly how are we going to predict this...at best we'd have 48 hours notice...the guy that wrote that article must have been watching 'Knowing', the fact is that since we do depend on electricity, it would be very stupid of us all to think we are untouchable because we definately arent, i'm convined something very very major will happen in my lifetime and i wouldnt be surprised if it happend within the next 10 years or so

But, wouldn't it overturn all that pioneering work on stellar evolution carried-out by Sir Fred Hoyle et al?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It would be about right if the next solar superflare happened in 2012 as I'm due to retire in 2013 and what with the credit crunch and diminishing pensions that would just about put the cap on it.

Posted
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey
  • Location: A small planet somewhere in the vicinity of Guildford, Surrey

I wouldn't worry, noggin - when I read scare stories like this I assume it must be a slow news day...!

:)

CB

Posted

Anyone else remember all the lights going out and planes falling from the skies on 1st Jan 2000? :)

Posted

There is so much RUBBISH on the internet and You tube at the moment about 2012 and how everything will end...blagh..blagh.

They are even bringing out a film about it for goodness sake! The only thing that will happen in 2012 is that the sun will come up and go down again and it will only be another 4 days until Xmas, then if the world does end we will all be too pi**ed and stuffed to care!

There may be problems with electricals and computers so i would be taking some hard copies of everything for safe keeping just in case :)

Posted
Anyone else remember all the lights going out and planes falling from the skies on 1st Jan 2000? :)

Yeah that was a tad annoying wasn't it?!

There is so much RUBBISH on the internet and You tube at the moment about 2012 and how everything will end...blagh..blagh.

They are even bringing out a film about it for goodness sake! The only thing that will happen in 2012 is that the sun will come up and go down again and it will only be another 4 days until Xmas, then if the world does end we will all be too pi**ed and stuffed to care!

There may be problems with electricals and computers so i would be taking some hard copies of everything for safe keeping just in case :)

That's gonna be one short year, I might not bother having a holiday that year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Here we go....another Hollywood blockbuster!! :) :lol: :D

Posted

After all the hype so far - still more than 3 years away- I sure as hell hope something worthwhile happens. A pole shift caused by a flyby of Nibiru would be a half decent start :) .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

The end of the world is happening as I type........as I've just realised that I've used up my last bottle of 'Just For Men'!!

Posted

Aren't they still trying to repair that collider in Switzerland? It was supposed to suck us into a black hole but only managed to make a black hole in the world economies before it broke down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

:lol: what a load of tosh.

So if we tally it all up, the world was suppose to end in:

1991, 1993, 1994, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

I'm sure they'll get it right eventually :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, warm and sunny in summer

I don't know....if it's not mass coronal ejections it's massive asteriods.......or mega tsunamis..........or Yellowstone.......or supernovae............or the LHC creating a black hole..........or hoodies causing the breakdown of society.

I think I'll stay in bed until 2013!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Posted
Anyone else remember all the lights going out and planes falling from the skies on 1st Jan 2000? :lol:

What about Aussie Bloke! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Just watched an interesting documentary on national geographic about the earths magnetic field. According to the documentary earths magnetic field is in decline and there is an anomaly over the southern atlantic where the field is at its weakest and seems to be reversed in that area. All this they say could be a sign of a polar reversal of the earths magnetic field happening sometime soon. The last reversal was 780,000 yrs ago and in the last 20,000,000 yrs there has been 18,000 reversals. In 2010 3 satellites will be sent a few hunderd miles above the earth to moniter the magnetic field and to help forecast when the next reversal is due. Interesting stuff.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Who makes up this stuff some 10 year old kid