Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

This is how things are shaping up now :lol:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...rs_Jan04_02.JPG

Nah just kidding, next band of showers about to hit though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Stopped for a bit now, current temp showing as -3.2C with a dewpoint of -5.3C, and with a windchill of -13.9C, so getting chillier. Fields now have a covering, with mini-drifts already forming on the lane. Hopefully the showers will keep coming all night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

We have a nice covering here too! From the look of things the next bout to hit my location will be between 8 and 1/2 past and I'm interested to see what type of snow is in this 'new stuff' that is behind the clear skies ,now passing over us,as the cloud band seems stretch out across the north Sea and into the continent (no shortage of cloud but what's on board???).

Posted

Hello all, in Halifax, West Yorkshire. Just a very fine sprinkling so far, was hoping for more, almost clear skies now, temp -1.5. Any ideas of if things will get any more sustained/substantial in this area?

Good luck to all but i'm starting to worry!

Kev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Hello all, in Halifax, West Yorkshire. Just a very fine sprinkling so far, was hoping for more, almost clear skies now, temp -1.5. Any ideas of if things will get any more sustained/substantial in this area?

Good luck to all but i'm starting to worry!

Kev

I'm thinking things will pick up after 8pm as the next lot of showers come through.

I'm to your west and we did quite well out of the shower between 6 and 7 but that (I believe) was just an appetiser for this next lot now approaching.

I don't know, but kinda think ,that it being forced up over the hills will spice things up again (even if they look to be fragmenting at the mo).

Posted
A desperate plea...does anyone know of a weather station for NW Leeds/Headingly area? Unbelievably for a university town, I can't find one.

The closest you will find is 'leeds' on bbc1 teletxt page 404.

Posted

Cheers grey wolf, let's keep our fingers crossed, starting to cloud over again here now, i just hope we aren't that bit too far North.

Posted
Cheers grey wolf, let's keep our fingers crossed, starting to cloud over again here now, i just hope we aren't that bit too far North.

I'm kind hoping you will get a heavyish flurry in about 15 mins (depending on where in Leed), I will be watching for it dulling the lights in the valley towards Headingley.

Posted

Clouded over now, bits of snow falling but nothing to get excited about yet. Albeit a bit heavier than earlier.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Getting very close now,places just to the south of me look to be getting some decent snow.

Ive got nothing yet but sky is pink everywhere

Posted
I'm kind hoping you will get a heavyish flurry in about 15 mins (depending on where in Leed), I will be watching for it dulling the lights in the valley towards Headingley.

OMG Leeds has DISAPPEARED in the distance, there is something BIG coming I can see how black its gone. 10 mins i reckon!

Posted
The closest you will find is 'leeds' on bbc1 teletxt page 404.

Mercy buckets, Jed....but I don't have teletext! I can't believe this area isn't littered with weather stations. All I can do at the moment is stick my head out of the window and assess that...it's cold. Frustrating.

OMG Leeds has DISAPPEARED in the distance, there is something BIG coming I can see how black its gone. 10 mins i reckon!
I can assure you Leeds is still here. However...it is snowing - :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather
Nothing here in Darlington, the snow shields are up as usual :D

Just started and there is a dustiong in the space of 3mins unbelievable

Posted

Please let it be true mate :D

Posted

A covering here now, but so far no really heavy showers so we could well be relying on tomorrow's front to bring 15cm+ totals I feel. Still, it will keep me up most of the night. The more "stacked" showers are now forming in the N Sea and spreading into Yorkshire; these are more potent and hopefully will liven things up a bit because so far there hasn't been that much activity. The coldest upper air and the area of low heights is just arriving now, so more convection to come. N of the N York Moors, there are few showers about it seems.

Posted
Mercy buckets, Jed....but I don't have teletext! I can't believe this area isn't littered with weather stations. All I can do at the moment is stick my head out of the window and assess that...it's cold. Frustrating.

Hi skywatcher,try this link.Vaisala ICE :Traffic Weather

There looks to be a few around leeds. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, Snow, Thunder

Just something i noticed on the 7-30 metoffice radar... the showers in yorks seem to have organised into west-east orientated bands almost like lake effect snow from in canada. Don't know if this is just a one off or what but if its not I hope I dont end up in one of the gaps!! Oh, and we just had a very heavy shower for about 5 mins... covering here now about 1cm! :D

BB

Posted

You'll have to keep me posted Over the hills - I work at the secondary school, hoping we may get a snow day :D

Posted

A few flakes falling in Darlo. It seems we must've already had a dusting as my car seems to have a bit on the windscreen. Doesn't seem to have laid anywhere other than that really due to the ground being dry and it being windy.