Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Well if we get no more tonight then a let down, but 10cm of lying snow allready aint half bad

I'm quite happy with what we have already too!!!(but there's more to come...honest!)

Posted
I'm quite happy with what we have already too!!!(but there's more to come...honest!)

Why do you think that?

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Having said that, the Meto warnings have now been updated. W, S and N Yorks under high risk of "extreme" event, very heavy snow, severe blizzards and severe drifting, 20-30cms in places.... and that was put there just an hour ago. So why are they still so confident?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...t_warnings.html

Posted

5:30 radar looking better now.

Not just over linconshire is the precipitation intensifieng, it also is in a direct line towards london. I think this is line of convergence which is now starting to show its hand :rolleyes:

Another good thing is, that heavier stuff to the west is losing its intensity which makes me happier to miss out on that..

Posted

How sure are you Gray Wolf? You were right about today but it's turned very drizzly now. So what are your predictions for Halifax over night?

Cheers

Kev

Posted
Yes it's been bad but the problem is that looks like the end. There was very heavy snow for a while here, but that has sadly passed away, and unless more disturbance in the front presents itself, that's it for heavy snow now. I'm not writing it off yet, but we seriously need the band to intensify or there will be a lot of disappointed ppl from Yorkshire tomorrow.

Point taken, Yeti. I'm still catching up. It's seriously sad when you're out in a snow storm wishing you were at home looking at charts :rolleyes:

Posted
Having said that, the Meto warnings have now been updated. W, S and N Yorks under high risk of "extreme" event, very heavy snow, severe blizzards and severe drifting, 20-30cms in places.... and that was put there just an hour ago. So why are they still so confident?

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/...t_warnings.html

What you are currently seeing on the radar is NOT the whole band... more following in behind. The only stumbling block will be whether the PPN remains as snow, don't worry about intensity or amount of PPN, that's not going to be a problem! :rolleyes:

Posted
Its raining.

Temperature 1.3º, dew point 0.1º

Oh, I'm not happy.

Was always going to be marginal along the east coast as the warm-sector advects northward over the north sea. We have a mixture of light rain, sleet and snow here; very borderline with temps around 1C with dewpoints hovering just above zero. Higher dewpoints being advected in with a more moist profile with upper-air less conducive.

The GFS exaggerated the precipitation intensity; probably because the frontal band stalled considerably more further south with the lighter precipitation sheared off on the eastern flank. Warm-front slowing down with our region south of the triple point seemingly; there is still some lower-level lifting progged for our region albeit its at a very gradual gradient and probably wont result in much intensification.

Higher ground perhaps in north-west Durham and west Yorkshire faring best here later on. Increasingly marginal for ground lower than 600 feet towards the morning.

Posted

Rain / Sleet south gosforth, Newcastle.

just 5 miles west there is snow

Edited by pChunk

Posted

Latest beeb forecast showed a bit of snow around 6pm coverng peniines eastwards, but as the night went on the snow area increased a lot and started to extended outwards, even more thurther south, hopefully looking good

Posted
What you are currently seeing on the radar is NOT the whole band... more following in behind. The only stumbling block will be whether the PPN remains as snow, don't worry about intensity or amount of PPN, that's not going to be a problem! :mellow:

I'm inclined to think the opposite - at this altitude I'm not too worried about things turning to rain, but it's looking very bad on the radar (not quite as bad but...)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

I'm just 'now casting with what is in front of us all. The MetO Radar is still full of precipitation and ,once up to Derbyshire/Pennines we're sure to have a bit of orographic intensification (it always pee's down up here when it's spitting across the rest of Yorks.......or even bright sunshine!!!)

I don't know how the warm sector will impact things , my temp has risen from below freezing to 0.3c, but if the Meto update the warning once we are in the event they should have a better take on how things are panning out so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Our main snow was forecast for later this evening so I'm looking for intensification of the 'light' ppn now approaching us.

I do hope I'm right!

Posted
but it's looking very bad on the radar (not quite as bad but...)

Right now, I agree with you. Moderate falls here though are leading to further accumilations.

What I can confirm though is that further PPN is pushing up from N France and we won't see the full force of this front for a few hours yet.

Posted

All flights cancelled at LBA since 4:10pm

Posted

Just got back from work (which must be well over 200m ASL). It was snowing very hard there and the roads were getting to the point where it was dangerous. The snow was covering the whole road despite of extensive gritting.

Now I am home (70m ASL) there seems to be a bit of rain mixed in with the snow and the roads are just covered in thin wet slush. There is about 4-5cm of snow on the pavements and grass. Hopefully temperatures will cool down a bit as the night goes on and we won't get wet snow that doesn't accumulate.

The Met Office are still going for 12 hours of heavy snow from 18:00h in this area if you drill down through their web site to the local forecast so I am quite optimistic.

Posted
I'm just 'now casting with what is in front of us all. The MetO Radar is still full of precipitation and ,once up to Derbyshire/Pennines we're sure to have a bit of orographic intensification (it always pee's down up here when it's spitting across the rest of Yorks.......or even bright sunshine!!!)

I don't know how the warm sector will impact things , my temp has risen from below freezing to 0.3c, but if the Meto update the warning once we are in the event they should have a better take on how things are panning out so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Our main snow was forecast for later this evening so I'm looking for intensification of the 'light' ppn now approaching us.

I do hope I'm right!

Thanks, I certainly hope so. If not, this could look stupid by the morning...

Very Heavy Snowfall, Severe Blizzards & Severe Drifting Snow 1800 Mon 2 0500 Tue 3 There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting areas above 200 metres and in particular the Pennines.

Heavy snowfalls will lead to further accumulations of locally 20 to 30 cms in these areas with strong northeasterly winds leading to blizzard conditions and drifting. On lower ground a further 5-10cm is likely with the snow gradually turning to rain overnight.

Disruption to power supplies and transport is expected with a danger to life.

Issued at: 1653 Mon 2 Feb

N, S, W Yorks and Durham, Northumberland

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold

The area to the west seems to be winding down... I wouldn't be surprised to see an intensification towards the east now. Snowing moderately here now.

Posted

If we do get any significant stalling on the NE flank of this low; then I reckon it could well turn back to snow for lower areas from late morning tommorow. Albeit that looks likely to be the case for areas of Northumberland rather than further south...but we'll see.

Borderline now with periods of rain, sleet and snow here. Very light, and we need some more moderate pulses to move in to help lower the freezing level a bit. Its looking best for places like Weardale and Teesdale than over here; just too close to the coast and sleety.

If we do get any significant stalling on the NE flank of this low; then I reckon it could well turn back to snow for lower areas from late morning tommorow. Albeit that looks likely to be the case for areas of Northumberland rather than further south...but we'll see.

Borderline now with periods of rain, sleet and snow here. Very light, and we need some more moderate pulses to move in to help lower the freezing level a bit. Its looking best for places like Weardale and Teesdale than over here; just too close to the coast and sleety.

Yup we're doing nicely here....the snows light at the moment but has been ongoing for a while now

Posted

"There is a high risk of an extreme weather event affecting areas above 200 metres and in particular the Pennines." meto