Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow Watch: N&W Yorks, Northern & North East England

Posted

I'm 10 miles away from the coast . Will that be far away to get some good snow?. Still a sleety mix here with temps at 0.1c.

Posted

seems to have cooled down a bit in Newcastle, south gos. Don't have thermometer at this address but it definatly feels colder, can see breath and rain has turned back to sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Just keeps going and going !! As expected Luke's overnight care can't get through so I'm pulling an extra night ......what a night to pull eh? The 'powder snow' has now grown up a little but both types have just been piling down since 3:30pm. If we are looking at another 5 or so hours of this us hillbillies will be buried!!!

Posted
I'm 10 miles away from the coast . Will that be far away to get some good snow?. Still a sleety mix here with temps at 0.1c.

i think very marginal but lets keep our hopes up :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

See you've all perked up a bit!

Temperature still a bit high here at 0.6C, dewpoint -0.1C but still could be good.

Keep watching the radar for some heavier stuff!

John

Posted

Back to proper snow here now with no rain mixed in. There isn't massive amounts of it falling though.

However, the latest BBC weather forecasts are very ecouraging so hopefully it should kick off again soon.

Posted

Wind has now got up here from the ESE and rain now lighter. The forecasts for the north east always underestimate the warming currents off the North East Sea coast, so we never get that much snow on lowland north east. At least driving will be easier tomorrow thank goodness! Mind you the bairn is extremely upset!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Back to proper snow here now with no rain mixed in. There isn't massive amounts of it falling though.

However, the latest BBC weather forecasts are very ecouraging so hopefully it should kick off again soon.

did you have sleet earlier?

Posted

Its be continuous in Leeds for about 4 hours now but its very light, almost like graupal so id say 4 hours worth has added an extra 2 cm max. Bit dissapointing really. Is this because its not cold enough or not intense enough?

Posted

I await being amazed and astonished, but I have to say that I continue to think that this is being overplayed a tad up here. Paul Hudson isn't the most objective forecaster in these circumstances, but I think even he was guilty of potential excess suggesting that we might get another foot tonight. It's been snowing here since around 4pm, but my observation is that the snow is more persistent than intense. At times last night, albeit briefly, the intensity got up to around 30 on my cursory scale: I think I've known it get above that on two or three occasions at most. Right now, and for the past hour, it's been hovering around 4-5, no more than light-moderate. What's there is very dry, so it's getting blown around into some sizeable drifts, and I came within a very few minutes of not being able to get up the hill out of town - as it was the ASC nearly burned the clutch out - or back up the track.

There's going to have to be a pretty big development in the flow for us to get a foot of level snow.

Posted
did you have sleet earlier?

Between around 5pm and 6.30 there seemed to be some rain mixed in.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
Between around 5pm and 6.30 there seemed to be some rain mixed in.

ah ok cheers, was a bit worried the warm sector might be heading my way lol

Posted

Here in Darton top, Barnsley we now have 5" level snow

Posted
I await being amazed and astonished, but I have to say that I continue to think that this is being overplayed a tad up here. Paul Hudson isn't the most objective forecaster in these circumstances, but I think even he was guilty of potential excess suggesting that we might get another foot tonight. It's been snowing here since around 4pm, but my observation is that the snow is more persistent than intense. At times last night, albeit briefly, the intensity got up to around 30 on my cursory scale: I think I've known it get above that on two or three occasions at most. Right now, and for the past hour, it's been hovering around 4-5, no more than light-moderate. What's there is very dry, so it's getting blown around into some sizeable drifts, and I came within a very few minutes of not being able to get up the hill out of town - as it was the ASC nearly burned the clutch out - or back up the track.

There's going to have to be a pretty big development in the flow for us to get a foot of level snow.

I agree. There's a credibility gap here between what's being said and what can be seen on the rader and on the charts. I think we can say there's some snow to come, but 20+cm???

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

12cm here now, light snow, eye on that heavy snow over Lincolnshire that's moving NW...

Agreed :lol:

Barring any big surprises (covering myself here), I think the southern pennines could get another 15-20cm, with the north pennines not far behind on 10-15cms of snow.

East of the pennines the totals start to drop, up to 5cms if your lucky. Coastal areas sleet and rain so no cover.

Posted

Temperature 1.7º, dew point 1.1º, temperature steadily on the rise, and.......raining.

This situation is going to take some salvaging.

Posted

Wind howling outside must be over well 50 mph at times severe drifting of snow.

Mark

Teesdale,Co Durham

Posted

Still very gently snowing although it doesn't really seem to be adding any depth and it's not settling anywhere where the snow melted earlier