Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Politics And AGW/GW

noggin

Posted
Wondered where you'd gone. Get well soon,Nog :( .

Cheers, LG. ;)

Posted

http://www.nzcpr.com/guest147.htm

Dr Willem de Lange.

Mis-represented (and mis-lead :rolleyes: question mark...my word ) by the IPCC.

Temperature leads C02........and so much more. Read it and see. Can't type much more, finger tired, but it is a very good read for both political and scientific reasons.

:D

Posted

http://www.tech-know.eu/NISubmission/pdf/N...al_evidence.pdf

Hans Schreuder. Agendas....world leaders.....hidden taxation. It's all here in his presentation to Irish government.

I will continue to plough my lonely furrow......

Posted

New car carbon footprint = 40,000 miles of petrol consumption carbon footprint (Prion).

Scrappage. Another brilliant idea from the same people who tell us we need to cover Britain in windmills.

PS. Perhaps we could make the windmills from scrapped cars ... :)

Edited by valiant

Posted
New car carbon footprint = 40,000 miles of petrol consumption carbon footprint (Prion).

Scrappage. Another brilliant idea from the same people who tell us we need to cover Britain in windmills.

PS. Perhaps we could make the windmills from scrapped cars ... :lol:

We're scrapping an 16 year old 40 mpg banger that done 145,000+, nearly blew up last year, is coaxed along and we're thankful every time the thing gets us there and back again, for a tiny new 'city car' that should easily do 60 (maybe more) mpg plus, is the best rated such car and which we confidently expect to run for as long if not longer than the one we're scrapping. Incidentally, we put a deposit on this car nearly a month ago but it's still yet to arrive (presumably because of the demand for such tiny efficient cars atm).

I think we've done the best we could. What say you?

Edited by Devonian

Posted
We're scrapping an 16 year old 40 mpg banger that done 145,000+, nearly blew up last year, is coaxed along and we're thankful every time the thing gets us there and back again, for a tiny new 'city car' that should easily do 60 (maybe more) mpg plus, is the best rated such car and which we confidently expect to run for as long if not longer than the one we're scrapping. Incidentally, we put a deposit on this car nearly a month ago but it's still yet to arrive (presumably because of the demand for such tiny efficient cars atm).

I think we've done the best we could. What say you?

I'd happily buy a car that does significantly more than,say 100mpg and was restricted to,say 50mph. It'd do the job and the sense of being bled dry by the tax-man wouldn't sting so much. I walk much anyway,but occasionally feel the need to get the rip-snorting,gas-guzzling motorbike out just to pull wheelies and burn rubber doughnuts into the tarmac outside Ossie's house :lol: .

Edited by laserguy

Posted
http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0905/S00369.htm

Australian scientists........GW is natural cycle. Media tells porky pies.

This item is a "Press Release: Citizens Electoral Council"

The Citizens Electoral Council of Australia were "Established in 1988, we joined the LaRouche movement to fight for Peace through Economic Development."

Lyndon laRouche is someone about whom, to put the very best gloss on it, there are considerably varying opinions....

Posted
This item is a "Press Release: Citizens Electoral Council"

The Citizens Electoral Council of Australia were "Established in 1988, we joined the LaRouche movement to fight for Peace through Economic Development."

Lyndon laRouche is someone about whom, to put the very best gloss on it, there are considerably varying opinions....

On one hand, it may be a good thing that he is in his 87th year. On the other hand, no-one has managed to end his illustrious career yet. There is good and bad in all of us , I suppose, Dev.

Posted
http://www.tech-know.eu/NISubmission/pdf/N...al_evidence.pdf

Hans Schreuder. Agendas....world leaders.....hidden taxation. It's all here in his presentation to Irish government.

I will continue to plough my lonely furrow......

This is another odd one because I can't find anything about the 'NI climate change committee', it's composition, mandate, where it meets or when it heard this 'submission'. Can you enlighten me further?

Posted
This is another odd one because I can't find anything about the 'NI climate change committee', it's composition, mandate, where it meets or when it heard this 'submission'. Can you enlighten me further?

This is the best I could come up with, due to physical and time constraints. :D

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/environment/2...nvirhome_07.htm

Sammy Wilson's committee!

Edited by noggin

Guest North Sea Snow Convection
This is the best I could come up with, due to physical and time constraints. :)

Must be very frustrating for you and patience testing!!

Hope you are soon on the mend and don't need that operation :)

I doubt much will have changed on our planet by the time you are fighting fit. The sun is still sleeping too :D

Posted
This is the best I could come up with, due to physical and time constraints. :D

Sammy Wilson's committee!

Thanks, actually, I can't see Sammy Wilson is a member.

No sign of the fellow concerned in the submissions.

Posted

It does exist: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/environment/2...2008/090520.htm and it has Hans Schueder's submissions minuted.

However, as there are 30-odd submissions made to the CC committee, and any of us has a right to make a submission ( Any organisation or individual with an interest is invited to submit written evidence) to such a committee, I'm not sure what this shows? That someone with an agenda (of whatever sort) is allowed to make an unqualified statement to a, relatively minor, committee?

And no, Wilson is not on the Climate Change committee, but it works for him....

Edited by Roo

Posted
It does exist: http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/environment/2...2008/090520.htm and it has Hans Schueder's submissions minuted.

However, as there are 30-odd submissions made to the CC committee, and any of us has a right to make a submission ( Any organisation or individual with an interest is invited to submit written evidence) to such a committee, I'm not sure what this shows? That someone with an agenda (of whatever sort) is allowed to make an unqualified statement to a, relatively minor, committee?

And no, Wilson is not on the Climate Change committee, but it works for him....

Good find, I should have looked harder. So that's that cleared up :)

Anyway, it (to my mind and I comment in the best LG, DXR traditions of this place) says something when they're prepared to give time to an extremist like Schreuder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
The sun is still sleeping too :doh:

It is indeed. Speculation continues to grow that the upcoming solar cycle could turn out to be the weakest since the 1920s. In that case AGW (and/or some other positive forcings) would have to be very strong indeed to initiate further significant temp rises over the coming decade or two, with strong negative solar forcing potentially in play.

As for Schrueder- yet another of those climate change extremists by the looks of it, I'm afraid.

Posted
Anyway, it (to my mind and I comment in the best LG, DXR traditions of this place) says something when they're prepared to give time to an extremist like Schreuder.

Oi! :doh: HS is the guy behind this:

http://www.ilovemycarbondioxide.com/

....in case anyone didn't know. Extremist or not,he's barking up the right tree and how anyone of sane mind can pay more attention and give more credence to the ramblings of Hansen 'n' Gore is unfathomable. No really,it is. Roo,you still reading? Don't remind me of whatsisface,y'know,the guy behind the SSRC or whatever it was! Wonder what became of him?

I'm an extremist too - I like extremely hot vindaloo curries and extremely loud heavy metal music,but I'm harmless really :D . Think I must've died and gone to smiley heaven.

Posted
Must be very frustrating for you and patience testing!!

Hope you are soon on the mend and don't need that operation :)

I doubt much will have changed on our planet by the time you are fighting fit. The sun is still sleeping too :D

Thanks, Tamara. My patience is certainly being tested! :doh::D

As for Schrueder- yet another of those climate change extremists by the looks of it, I'm afraid.

Genuine question, TWS...........do you consider Gore and Hanson to be extremists? :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Are Al Gore and Hansen extremists? Good question. I think Al Gore is borderline- I don't think his ideas are particularly extremist but he does make a strong point of making out that the science re. AGW is far more certain than it is, and emphasising worst case scenarios, as was illustrated in "An Inconvenient Truth" for example. Thus I think it certainly pays to be sceptical about his assertions.

Hansen strikes me as being pretty well-rounded as a scientist but extremist when he gets involved in the politics of AGW, which undermines his position somewhat.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.com/Arti.../GW_malaria.pdf

All self-explanatory, really. Some interesting info re the "expert" lead authors on the spread of disease due to GW ("expert" according to the IPCC, that is....).

To save time.....the particularly relevant bits are in the boxes, rather than the general interview.

Thanks TWS for your thoughts on H and G. :)

Posted

I find his arguments convincing for the notion that AGW causing increased malaria is doubtful but find his arguments for it being BS far from convincing. As for his comments about IPCC authorship, just because certain members might not be very qualified does not make the IPCC as a whole full of unqualified members.

The points about his papers being hidden do not surprise me. There is certainly a popular agenda of "make the science sound settled and remove doubt" which would tie in with removing doubt-inducing articles.

However I will always be sceptical about what he says (much as with Gore et al.) because the program, The Great Global Warming Swindle, that he says he was heavily involved with, was no more convincing for the sceptics' case than An Inconvenient Truth was for AGW.

Posted

There have been questions raised quite a few times with regard to the level of expertise of the experts contributing to the IPCC reports. Put this together with the fact that the reports are assembled by minor bureaucrats* and it does make one wonder if the IPCC reports and updates are worth the paper they are written on.

*This was discovered and mentioned in a discussion some time ago.

BTW, TWS..........you consistently take the time and effort to read and comment on my links and that is much appreciated......thank you! :lol:

(Even if we are not always in agreement!)

Edited by noggin

Posted

I can vouch for the fact that there are definitely a lot of well-respected and very knowledgeable contributors to the IPCC- alongside the less knowledgeable ones. There's quite a mix in there, really. But I have no arguments with the "assembled by bureaucrats" part. Often the wording that the scientists want to put forward in their Summary for Policymakers, for example, gets modified whenever the world governments are unhappy with it. This is why I personally think the main "meat" of the IPCC report, the literature surveys and analysis of processes, is more trustworthy than the summary for policymakers (indeed much of it is simply a review of the current scientific understanding). Shame, then, that the summary for policymakers is what we get the most exposure to.

Posted
Are Al Gore and Hansen extremists? Good question. I think Al Gore is borderline- I don't think his ideas are particularly extremist but he does make a strong point of making out that the science re. AGW is far more certain than it is, and emphasising worst case scenarios, as was illustrated in "An Inconvenient Truth" for example. Thus I think it certainly pays to be sceptical about his assertions.

Hansen strikes me as being pretty well-rounded as a scientist but extremist when he gets involved in the politics of AGW, which undermines his position somewhat.

Unfortunately I find Hansen extremist as a scientist, maybe something to do with the infamous hockey stick hey!! And this guy is the messiah to all warmist, time to find a new leader me thinks! That last statement is tongue in cheek, some of you warmist take things a little to serious at times. Chill!!

Posted

I don't see anything tongue-in-cheek about it at all, surely it was a genuine question that warranted (and got) a genuine answer?

Note that I didn't actually know who Hansen was until I did a lot of research on him a few days ago in reponse to Noggin's question. The main name that I associate with the hockey stick is Mann. So one or both of two things follow: I'm not a "warmist", or not all "warmists" see him as their messiah.

As for the hockey stick itself, it clearly does not take into account the Medieval Warm Period or the Little Ice Age, but considering how much argument there is over the MWP and LIA, it is possible to argue either way on whether the hockey stick is a good approximation or not.