Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

March 1970

Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

I was going to junior school in March 1970 and it's my first ever memory of a major snow event.

what I particularly remember is going to the bus-stop in the morning with my brothers and sisters. A new tall building had gone up where I lived (headquarters of the long since defunct holiday company OSL) and I can vividly remember it as a background to watching the heavy snow that was falling.

The snow didn't let up all day and the concern was such among the teachers that we all got sent home from school early. When I got back home I could still see how heavy the snow was falling against the OSL building.

I've no memory of how long the snow stuck around for. Most of the memory I have is seeing the snow with the background of the OSL building...and probably I judge every snowfall I've seen ever since against the standard set then.

• 1 month later...
Posted
I was going to junior school in March 1970 and it's my first ever memory of a major snow event.

what I particularly remember is going to the bus-stop in the morning with my brothers and sisters. A new tall building had gone up where I lived (headquarters of the long since defunct holiday company OSL) and I can vividly remember it as a background to watching the heavy snow that was falling.

The snow didn't let up all day and the concern was such among the teachers that we all got sent home from school early. When I got back home I could still see how heavy the snow was falling against the OSL building.

I've no memory of how long the snow stuck around for. Most of the memory I have is seeing the snow with the background of the OSL building...and probably I judge every snowfall I've seen ever since against the standard set then.

I believe March 1970 was a very cold and snowy month indeed, colder and snowier than 1979, 1986, 1987 and 1996.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

It was certainly a snowy month here, 16 mornings with snow lying at 0900 including every morning from the 2nd until the 15th.

1987 came close though with 14 mornings with snow lying.

Posted

My personal memories are a little vague as I was born that month but my grandma and aunt said that it was a particularly snowy month when they came to see me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

im too young to remember march 1970 :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

In Tunbridge Wells, the snow was drifing to the tops of the cars...It made me very Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells.

Posted

I was at Junior School in the village of Eglinton not far from 'Derry and on the coastal plain of Lough Foyle. I can certainly recall a cold month with wintry showers but rarely amounting to much. I suspect that we were sheltered to an extent from north/north westerlies by the Inishowen peninsula.

regards

ACB

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It took my Dad a couple of hours to drive home from work, from the other side of Coventry 6 miles away, it came down suddenly in the afternoon and was very deep (6 inches?), I think it stuck around for about a week too, I was only 10 though!

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Before my time but just reading about this event on another site:

"There was a major and unexpected snowfall on the 4th, heavy enough to bring down power lines in Kent. Some parts of Northants. and Beds. reported about 40cm of snow, with the deepest being nearly 48cm near Northampton. Snow fell heavily for twelve hours across a wide part of the south. In parts of the north southeast (if you see what I mean) and the East Midlands it was the heaviest snowfall since 1947. Near Bedford 36cms of snow lay after 24 hours of snow."

Source: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley...er_in_march.htm

Sounds like an absolutely extraordinary event, especially for March!

Would love to read more about it and how it evolved.

• Like 2

• 9 years later...
Posted

I remember the day really well. At school, living in Coventry. I had been to see the Super Sky Blues (as they were then) lose 2-3 at home to Liverpool the previous evening, 3rd March.

I am sure snow was not forecast that evening. The next day we woke to really heavy, driving snow. I would say it was the heaviest I had seen. I was 14 at the time.

At the time my estimate was 30cm of snow and a max temperature close to -1c. The snow lasted until mid-afternoon.

The cause of the snow was a depression moving from the north west. Some parts of western England were in the warm sector for some hours and saw heavy snow followed by rain followed by back edge heavy snow.

It was the first - and only time - that our school closed because of snow!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
15 minutes ago, Stevew said:

I remember the day really well. At school, living in Coventry. I had been to see the Super Sky Blues (as they were then) lose 2-3 at home to Liverpool the previous evening, 3rd March.

I am sure snow was not forecast that evening. The next day we woke to really heavy, driving snow. I would say it was the heaviest I had seen. I was 14 at the time.

At the time my estimate was 30cm of snow and a max temperature close to -1c. The snow lasted until mid-afternoon.

The cause of the snow was a depression moving from the north west. Some parts of western England were in the warm sector for some hours and saw heavy snow followed by rain followed by back edge heavy snow.

It was the first - and only time - that our school closed because of snow!

I remember it well, Steve. I was in Tunbridge Wells back then, and we also got sent home from school early; by which time, the snowdrifts were up to the tops of the cars!

We also had the exact same thing happen, sometime in February. What a winter that was!

• Like 1