Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Frozen Waterfall/above The Fog/venus & Moon

Posted
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'
  • Location: Sth Staffs/Shrops 105m/345' & NW Snowdonia 219m/719'

We decided to walk off our pub lunch on New Years Eve in the freezing fog and were treated to 3 nice suprises.

Firstly we found a partly frozen waterfall in Carding Mill Valley, then we climbed above the fog onto the Long Mynd to find an eerie fog bound world below us. Finally we saw Venus and the New Crescent Moon emerging out from sunset above the sea of fog.

Unfortunatley I had only expected fog so only had my old digi camera with me. So apologies for the quality as the light was fading.

post-1596-1230836575_thumb.jpgpost-1596-1230836616_thumb.jpg

post-1596-1230836640_thumb.jpgpost-1596-1230836661_thumb.jpg The "island" in the distance is the tip of The Wrekin with Caer Caradoc in the middle frontground.

post-1596-1230836679_thumb.jpg Looking towards The Clee Hills

post-1596-1230836707_thumb.jpg

Edited by kar999

Posted
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)
  • Location: Cambridge (term time) and Bonn, Germany 170m (holidays)

Thanks for that, I didn't know Shropshire had such high hills.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Absoultely stunning ! :D

Posted

The Long -Mynd is a fantastic place at any time of year IMO. I have been up there many a time. Although the road up is a bit sketchy at the start! If you fell off the road you would be rolling down the hill for a good 5 minutes! Quite un-nerving!

Those are fantastic pics with the inversion. Is the Wrekin the little blob in the distance though? I can see a mast on another of the pics and i thought that was the Wrekin because of the "Beacon on the Wrekin"!?

All in all they are fantastic pics and the lack of daylight on the darker ones really makes it feel wintery-Well done!

PS-Did you go to the Stiperstones as well?

EDIT-Sorry yes you described it correctly i can see the Beacon on the Wrekin-I was looking at the wrong pic with the wrong description! :)

Edited by Albion Snowman

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Lovely pics and place. Must've been cold! The third one is very atmospheric and IMO worth entering in to one of the photography competitions on NW.

I cycled up the Long Mynd from Cheltenham back in October. Made it up the Burway without stopping!!! It wasn't nearly as exciting last time I was up there though: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/3003068325/

Annoyingly I also forgot my camera today and had to make do with a phone camera to take these pics of hoar frost in the Forest of Dean; it was much icier than I expected: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/315686...d3627e77f_o.jpg

Posted

great pictures thanks for sharing,

there is something about frozen waterfalls that mak them totally amazing, i will get to see one one day.

thanks again