Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stormchaser1

Vista {bluescreening]

MORNING EVERYONE

i purchased a HP Laptop a few months ago from Pc world , with Vista Premium already installed,

Over the last month i have started to get BLUESCREENING on LAPTOP,

ive uninstalled Windows live messenger this morning {about an hour ago] Touch wood it hasnt bluescreened

What else can i do to stop it from BLUESCREENING

mANY THANKS

NIGEL

Are you getting a STOP message Nigel?

Sounds like you have a memory contention problem.

If it happens again, it would be useful to know the error codes to home in on the problem:

a. Create a new folder on the desktop and call it "bluescreenerror" or something.

b. Navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows.

c. Close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.

d. Use insert the 'insert image' button in the Netweather reply window and attach the file to post it here.

Have you also installed Vista SP1 and subsequent updates?

If not here it is.

Then try reinstalling messenger if you wish.

ffO.

I was thinking the same thing about the memory dump, FFO. Other messages I have received with the bluescreen is 'Bad Pool Caller'. But the worst one I received was back in May 2007 'Kernel (something)' Then tried to reboot and it wouldn't do so at all. It would just go so far then a prompt for a missing file called hal.dll

Tried to restore it using the Windows CD-Rom but to no avail. Even Dell tech support couldn't help so had to send the tower unit back to their workshop. I lost all the data on my hard drives (Not much data, mostly weather related stuff but it was just the principle.)

Last week I was prompted to install new updates. Windows XP SP3 which I thought strange so I went ahead with it. I really wish I hadn't bothered. :mellow: I don't know if anyone else on here has done the same but my PC has been acting somewhat erratically at times ever since. An example being on Christmas night when it just shut itself down and rebooted again. I didn't touch anything. :unknw:

Phil.

Afternoon FFO

when it did bluescreen i was getting a message saying MEMORY DUMP , usually goes off to quickly before i can read the whole message,

nigel

It would be useful to know what the bsod said. The codes can be fairly useful at times. So you'll need to do the following to get the error message. This will tell you the culprit.

http://www.watchingthenet.com/disable-auto...n-of-death.html write it down and google it.

If the memory location keeps changing this can indicate bad memory. Vistas event viewer will also give you clues. However ms have gone over the top and given too much information in Vista. So sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees as such.

Afternoon FFO

when it did bluescreen i was getting a message saying MEMORY DUMP , usually goes off to quickly before i can read the whole message,

nigel

Memory dumps are most often caused by buffer overflows or when some driver or utility attempts to access memory that does not exist. i.e. The program has not allocated enough memory to handle the data. Typically an old deleted program has undeleted registry entries causing the issue.

Uninstalling messenger probably freed up enough RAM to stop Vista crashing, but is not likely to be the root cause.

To fix the problem at root, you will need the exact error message which can then be used to track down a solution.

If the problem occurs again, reboot the laptop in safe-mode (hit F8 or F5 repeatedly during boot and follow instructions). When the system crashes again, the error message should stay on screen and you can PM me with the codes.

Alternately, try a proprietary registry fixer which will clear all regstry issues and speed up your laptop as well.

ffO.

Same happened to me but not the blue screen. My HP Laptop with Vista cannot find the Harddrive despite it being there. Removed it and made sure it was securely in the laptop. No luck yet might be going back to my good old chunky laptop.

A BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) under windows always produces a memory dump. It is for developers use and not for the average consumer so that the problem can be diagnosed and fixed.

That is not to say it is not a memory problem, but seeing a memory dump is not the clue that solves the problem. Perhaps you can take a picture and post the BSOD should it occur again?

(MSN is highly unlikely to have caused this - much more likely to be incompatible drivers, normally caused by family members who 'know what they're doing')

Uninstalling messenger probably freed up enough RAM to stop Vista crashing

Simply not true, I'm afraid, and this is not how memory works in Windows.

You have one source of memory called virtual memory. This is made up of two physical sources of memory - RAM, and hard-disk. The OS, in this case Vista, will use the RAM as much as it can, and will then use an area on your hard-disk, called the swap area (or something similar depending on the OS) and pretend that it's RAM.

It is therefore highly unlikely that you've run out of 'memory' as Vista will simply reallocate parts of your harddisk and pretend it's RAM if it runs out. Of course, if someone has 'optimised' your virtual memory, or have tried to speed it up by limiting it you will receive an error message, a long time before the BSOD, that says something like 'I'm out of memory'

We need to see the stop error and what file is causing it.

It doesn't have to be a memory or driver problem. It can also be a spyware problem or virus infection or an update that clashes with some other software or even a bad sector on the hard drive.

I had a graphics card with caused bsod's when it overheated. Editing the bios to reduce the default clock speeds and raise the default fan speeds fixed it accept for the hottest days.

We need to see the stop error and what file is causing it.

It doesn't have to be a memory or driver problem. It can also be a spyware problem or virus infection or an update that clashes with some other software or even a bad sector on the hard drive.

I had a graphics card with caused bsod's when it overheated. Editing the bios to reduce the default clock speeds and raise the default fan speeds fixed it accept for the hottest days.

yup - we won't know - maybe upload the event viewer about the time it happened?

yup - we won't know - maybe upload the event viewer about the time it happened?

Dunno the Vista event viewer isn't the most friendly of things. Probably give you too much info or not log it to annoy you. I've had bsod's that haven't been logged at all. Of course the machine wouldn't fail at all while I had it. I've had other machines that ran perfect while I had them but the event viewer had enough errors in it for me to look deeper and lo and behold there was a spyware infection that crashed the browser or nay other application that went on the internet..

• Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Warm Sunny Days Before A More Unsettled & Cooler Easter Weekend

High pressure in charge next few days will bring warm sunshine for many, but from Good Friday and through the Easter Weekend it will turn cooler and more unsettled with showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather