Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The BBC Is Biased.

noggin

My thought(for as little as it's worth) regarding BBC weather forecasting it is purely one they by rights are unable to resolve............as a national broadcaster they generalise and forecast for population centres as the average.........as a result if they say it'll rain in Newcastle but may be wintery on higher ground i'll accept that because if they're wrong we are the first to jump on them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
The BBC is bias and its rhetoric on global warming is relentless with no balance in there argument what so ever. I defy anyone to find a recent report from the BBC giving news space to the opposite side of the argument that the recent warming is natural climate change and the trend is now towards cooling.

Hard to agree with that, mate...Two poor summers and a cold November don't add-up to any trend at all, in my view.

I've never had a problem with debate as to how much GW has been anthropogenic; such debate is good for our understanding, and may well bring forth solutions. But what use is denial? Would one cure terminal cancer by denial? Can one lower the price of domestic electricity by denying the fact that it's too high for many low-paid folks to afford?

IMO, the BBC is clearly not biased. But, it does tend to air the consensus view?

The problem is nearly everyone is biased to cold on this forum, so obviousy BBC coverage will seem like bias if it is not showing what they want. People with neutrality realise that it has nothing to do with bias, just recording what is there. So I think if there is any bias, it's those wanting to believe the BBC are bias, if it makes sense.

If you want to crawl into extremist headlines etc, then the BBC do not contribute to these, it is actually the tabloid newspapers that are doing this.

100% agree, Stephen! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Frosty & Sunny
I don't see anything in that quote (as you show it) that suggests "global warming". As I see it the inference is all yours, all the quote does is state facts.

As Jane Austen might have put it, one or two of us doth protest too much!

Perhaps the message is too sublimimal, here's a better example -

BBC News - Tuesday, 6 February 2007, 12:34 GMT

“Climate change ‘affecting’ China - Unseasonably warm weather in north China has been linked to climate change“

At least 300,000 people in north-west China are short of drinking water because of unseasonably warm weather, which officials link to climate change. Parts of Shaanxi province face drought after January saw as little as 10% of average rainfall, state media say. Frozen lakes are melting and trees are blossoming in the capital Beijing as it experiences its warmest winter for 30 years, the China Daily reported.

[...] The country’s top meteorologist, Qin Dahe, said the recent dry and warm weather in northern China was related to global warming. [...]

BBC News - Thursday, 31 January 2008, 13:53 GMT

“Food warnings amid China freeze - Millions of people have been affected by the severe snow“

China is struggling to cope with its worst snowfall in decades, with officials warning of future food shortages as winter crops are wrecked.[...]

Dozens are thought to have died as much of the country endures one of its harshest winters for half a century.

EDIT

Sorry, forgot the links: -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/6334749.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7219092.stm

Count the number of times climate change gets a mention in each artical. In reality is this reporting about climate or is it just weather.

Edited by ghrud

Posted

I really dont get the attack at the BBC on this topic.

If the statistics are correct, we live in a warming world...on average. So, surely one of the jobs of a news channel is to inform us on what is being reported?

Also, I go back to my thoughts. Climate change is not global warming, it is a result of temperature fluctuations (currently warming) specifcally known as global warming.

Edited by Shiny_Bottom_1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross
Plenty of characters in Austen who do it, but she didn't write the phrase (or I think even quote it) - it's Shakespeare, from Hamlet.

Ossie

It is indeed Shakespeare; Austen used it in Pride and Prejudice when Elizabeth is protesting she has no interest in Darcy.

Posted

No doubt Richard Black of the beeb as his own agenda, being a warmist. How many times have we seen pictures of polar bears ( in the middle of summer ) on a ice cube, drifting endlessly in open waters! Or the silly stories of how obesity can be attributed to global warming. Time the beeb was run independently, away from ideological left wing think tanks, and do what it's suppose to do.......... REPORT NEWS WITHOUT ANY BIAS!

Posted
Perhaps the message is too sublimimal, here's a better example -

'Subliminal'. Crikey, you make the BBC seem like some kind of totalitarian mind control conspiracy :)

Posted
No doubt Richard Black of the beeb as his own agenda, being a warmist. How many times have we seen pictures of polar bears ( in the middle of summer ) on a ice cube, drifting endlessly in open waters!

Not very often...

Or the silly stories of how obesity can be attributed to global warming.

I saw that report, in the BBC heath section in May (and the picture? A Polar Bear? No, a big fat belly...). 'Watts up with that' also reported it in August (plus a gross ad hom towards AL Gore) - but you like them, surely?

Time the beeb was run independently, away from ideological left wing think tanks, and do what it's suppose to do.......... REPORT NEWS WITHOUT ANY BIAS!

Ok, I'll bite. What shouldn't the BBC report that is has been doing and which you object to? How should it report? Who should run it (names)? And please give an example of a report from somewhere you consider an example of unbiased reporting about the subjects that concern us.

Posted
Not very often...

I saw that report, in the BBC heath section in May (and the picture? A Polar Bear? No, a big fat belly...). 'Watts up with that' also reported it in August (plus a gross ad hom towards AL Gore) - but you like them, surely?

Ok, I'll bite. What shouldn't the BBC report that is has been doing and which you object to? How should it report? Who should run it (names)? And please give an example of a report from somewhere you consider an example of unbiased reporting about the subjects that concern us.

Dev the beeb never report on the flip side of the coin. Prime example being the IPCC bash in Poland, now if you fancy a little leg work take a look at the events prior to Gory Al making his speech, which the beeb where only to eager to report by the way! Then come back and tell me why this never got reported?

Posted

I for one was heartened to see this article as Richard Black has been a front runner in the climate alarmism stakes. This is not the first article of his to introduce some balance, maybe has been sat on from on high recently?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I do think there's something behind the notion that the BBC is biased- not just with regards climate change in general. Like a couple of others mentioned, there are times when I hear news articles and hear "facts" presented where I think, "That's not necessarily true," "Why?" etc, and there's also a tendency to focus on the negatives and ignore the positives of certain situations.

Many news articles also give the public the impression that we are to blame for everything and that draconian blanket prohibition measures are necessary to curtail our misbehaviour (thinking back to a couple of examples mid-year re. overeating, food waste etc), when in reality it's not as simple as that. They also seemed rather biased in favour of the single currency a while ago.

Just because a news article is being reported, it doesn't follow that it's being reported free of bias. It is perfectly possible to only present the sides of a story that further one's agenda.

Just like the TV forecasts are not presented free of bias. They increasingly pander to the weather type preferences of the perceived "vast majority" of the population who despise snow and thunderstorms and love mild drizzly winters, when in reality it's probably nearer half the population.

However, I'm quite happy to agree with the notion that the BBC is a lot less biased than the tabloids generally are. Just not with the notion that BBC is entirely free of bias.

Posted
Dev the beeb never report on the flip side of the coin. Prime example being the IPCC bash in Poland, now if you fancy a little leg work take a look at the events prior to Gory Al making his speech, which the beeb where only to eager to report by the way! Then come back and tell me why this never got reported?

As I said, show me a report that you think unbiased - you clearly wouldn't trust me so to do, since I trust the BBC. About the IPCC in Poland if you like.

Btw, I think the man is called Al Gore.

I for one was heartened to see this article as Richard Black has been a front runner in the climate alarmism stakes.

That would be in your opinion :)

This is not the first article of his to introduce some balance, maybe has been sat on from on high recently?

What is 'balance' in this context? What should they report that you think they are not, or perhaps what should they not tell us (censor)?

Posted
As I said, show me a report that you think unbiased - you clearly wouldn't trust me so to do, since I trust the BBC. About the IPCC in Poland if you like.

Btw, I think the man is called Al Gore.

It's a case of what they didn't report Dev, 650 scientist opposing the IPCC, that's 12 times the number of scientist within the UN. It's all about balance Dev, I've no gripes about media attention regarding AGW, just would like to see the counter argument given it's airing now and again. After all that's what democracy is all about!

Posted
I do think there's something behind the notion that the BBC is biased- not just with regards climate change in general. Like a couple of others mentioned, there are times when I hear news articles and hear "facts" presented where I think, "That's not necessarily true," "Why?" etc, and there's also a tendency to focus on the negatives and ignore the positives of certain situations.

What can their being wrong on occasions be errors not bias?

Many news articles also give the public the impression that we are to blame for everything and that draconian blanket prohibition measures are necessary to curtail our misbehaviour (thinking back to a couple of examples mid-year re. overeating, food waste etc), when in reality it's not as simple as that. They also seemed rather biased in favour of the single currency a while ago.

I don't think the BBC do that, they might report that some people think we should do that, but that is, imo, very different. The BBC is a messenger, I don't blame them for that.

Just because a news article is being reported, it doesn't follow that it's being reported free of bias. It is perfectly possible to only present the sides of a story that further one's agenda.

Just like the TV forecasts are not presented free of bias. They increasingly pander to the weather type preferences of the perceived "vast majority" of the population who despise snow and thunderstorms and love mild drizzly winters, when in reality it's probably nearer half the population.

However, I'm quite happy to agree with the notion that the BBC is a lot less biased than the tabloids generally are. Just not with the notion that BBC is entirely free of bias.

Well, I'd use the word error not bias.

It's a case of what they didn't report Dev, 650 scientist opposing the IPCC, that's 12 times the number of scientist within the UN. It's all about balance Dev, I've no gripes about media attention regarding AGW, just would like to see the counter argument given it's airing now and again. After all that's what democracy is all about!

Here in lies the problem. You accuse the BBC of bias, and to back that up you quote those alleged 650 scientists. Do you know who made up (literally) that list? The right hand man of one of the most right wing Republican Senator's in the US, a Senator who is extremely sceptical about AGW. That's unbiased? Give me a break...

Do I want my news via the spokesman for a US Republican Senator or the BBC. Oh, that's difficult...

Edit: re your last two sentences. I do actually tend to agree. But, should the BBC report rubbish like the 650 scientists stuff to do that? In effect to let people be deceived for the sake of balance?

Edited by Devonian

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy
Hi G_W. How are you keeping?

I love cold winters mate. I'd love to see another one now. But facts are facts: the globe has warmed over recent decades, and maybe I'll never see another 1963. As Johnny Cash might say if he were still with us: I don't like it, but I guess things happen that way? :D

Hi Pete! Not too bad myself (apart from my outlook!!) Hope your well and full of the festive spirit!

We've had a chilly start to winter this year and I certainly won't discount a chilly rest of the winter....maybe even TEITS will get his easterly???? I think come March the Beeb will be reporting just how 'average' (cold for us used to our 'new' milder version) this winter has been when compared to the running average....that said they will balance it off with just how warm other places have been!

Posted
Hi Pete! Not too bad myself (apart from my outlook!!) Hope your well and full of the festive spirit!

We've had a chilly start to winter this year and I certainly won't discount a chilly rest of the winter....maybe even TEITS will get his easterly???? I think come March the Beeb will be reporting just how 'average' (cold for us used to our 'new' milder version) this winter has been when compared to the running average....that said they will balance it off with just how warm other places have been!

By march, all of the Northern Hemisphere will have been in the grip of a severe winter. But still the beeb will blame it all on regional warming! :D

Posted

The Horribly White BBC is biased in virtually everything it does because it has been politicised, like most non-elected organisations. These organisations attract the un-electable and those into propaganda and control freakery.

From Robert ("You've never had it so good as under New Labour") Peston to the weather men talking ever so slowly to us as if we were 5 years old - they have lost all credibility with me.

Edited by valiant

Posted
I didnt think 2008 was over yet ??

I'm pretty sure the meteorological year runs from December to November so that seasons aren't split (Jan and Feb in one year December in another). Explained here.

Posted

If you find your posts are missing.. Please check out this thread..

http://www.netweather.tv/forum/index.php?showtopic=51194

The above was set up for general discussion.. Use it..... !!!!!!

Any further off topic posts will be binned.... Simple as.....

Posted
I'm pretty sure the meteorological year runs from December to November so that seasons aren't split (Jan and Feb in one year December in another). Explained here.

I knew that, but the RC article was interesting, especially the comments - perhaps I should spend more time on there :) . The article gives three plots at the end:

2008_from1999.jpg

2008_from1979.jpg

2008_from1990.jpg

how does GISTEMP do that? (i.e. shift from top to bottom)

Just goes to show how you can play about with temperature anomalies to show anything you care to!

But that's off topic:

Is the BBC biased, misinformed, misguided, or merely gagged? Like the climate, only time will tell.

Edited by Chris Knight

Posted
I knew that, but the RC article was interesting, especially the comments - perhaps I should spend more time on there :) . The article gives three plots at the end:

how does GISTEMP do that? (i.e. shift from top to bottom)

'baselined to' - which is not some RC conspiracy but a basic graphing technique.

Is the BBC biased, misinformed, misguided, or merely gagged? Like the climate, only time will tell.

Hum, I tend to agree.

Edited by Devonian

Posted

Dev, if the beeb was to change it's stance and only start reporting on natural cycles, you would be the first to complain. Balance is the key Dev. And what we have is a broadcaster which as taken a stance not to report on anything anti-AGW. Blanket bans are counter productive. Good journalism is all about honesty, integrity, and a search for the truth is it not!