Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Temperature Records

morfius

Posted

After all this cold weather, i've been thinking that surely some temperature records must have been broken, especially considering the fact that it is still November - the bbc weather site shows record minimums across most northern areas to be around -3 or -4 for November. Seeing as temperatures below -6 have been widespread this begs the question if this cold spell has been record breaking in any areas.

Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks

Posted

I`m sure there has has as today it`s been the coldest november day here since 1993.

As further north looking at xcmap is below freezing shap was showing -6c at 3pm!!!!!!! And also Edinburgh at -3c same time.

-5c now gone up 1c

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
After all this cold weather, i've been thinking that surely some temperature records must have been broken, especially considering the fact that it is still November - the bbc weather site shows record minimums across most northern areas to be around -3 or -4 for November. Seeing as temperatures below -6 have been widespread this begs the question if this cold spell has been record breaking in any areas.

I rather doubt it. To put things in perspective, on the 14th November 1919 Braemar in the Cairngorms recorded a minimum of -23.3C!! And even last year there were -6's & -7's in mid-Nov in England.

The figures on that BBC Weather site are notoriously unreliable, by the way - as are the forecasts!

Ossie

EDIT: you might like to look here, morf: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley...in_november.htm . There are quite a lot of low November temps detailed. And it pretty much confirms my impression that temps this November have not been extreme in historical terms, though rather below what we've got used to in recent years.

Edited by osmposm

Posted

The temperature on the morning of the 21st November 2004 was -13.2C in the Highlands, and in 1993 the overnight temperature 27th-28th Nov in the same location was -15C. So the -11C recorded last night at Tulloch Bridge is not a record breaker for November, although it did threaten the date record of -12C.

Posted
well it was an ice day in dublin yesterday :lol:

SP

Exactly the last time I had an ice day in november was in 1993. :lol: but i didn`t quite.

Other places have seen ice days the last 2 days due to freezing fog.

Posted

down to -12oC in Braemar

24 hours ending 2100 on 30 Nov 08: UK

Highest max 7.8 °C Isles Of Scilly

Lowest max -3.0 °C Warcop

Lowest min -12.1 °C Braemar

Highest rainfall 18.0 mm Stornoway

Sunniest 7.4 hours Charterhall

Last updated: 2301 on Sun 30 Nov 2008

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_...st_weather.html

I rather doubt it. To put things in perspective, on the 14th November 1919 Braemar in the Cairngorms recorded a minimum of -23.3C!! And even last year there were -6's & -7's in mid-Nov in England.

The figures on that BBC Weather site are notoriously unreliable, by the way - as are the forecasts!

Ossie

EDIT: you might like to look here, morf: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~taharley...in_november.htm . There are quite a lot of low November temps detailed. And it pretty much confirms my impression that temps this November have not been extreme in historical terms, though rather below what we've got used to in recent years.

It was the coldest November day in parts of Scotland (e.g. Glasgow) since 1985.

Posted

these where from last night ( sat night)

Capel Curig (215 m) -3.5°

Leuchars (10 m) -3.5°

Machrihanish (10 m) -3.9°

Drumalbin (245 m) -4.0°

Newcastle AP (81 m) -4°

Prestwick (27 m) -4.1°

Carlisle (27 m) -4.1°

West Freugh (10 m) -4.4°

Aviemore (228 m) -4.6°

Redesdale Camp (212 m) -5.0°

Charterhall (111 m) -5.2°

Keswick (81 m) -5.3°

Glen Ogle (564 m) -5.5°

Eskdalemuir (242 m) -6.0°

Tulloch Bridge (236 m) -6.1°

Aboyne (140 m) -6.1°

Aonach Mor (1130 m) -6.4°

Strathallan (35 m) -6.4°

Shap (249 m) -7.3°

Loch Glascanoch (264 m) -7.8°

Cairngorm Mtns (1245 m) -7.9°

Altnaharra (80 m) -8.2°

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/akt...p;x=13&y=13

Edited by cookie

Posted

-7 here in South West Wales.

Posted
currently? :drunk: :o :o :o :o :o

SP

Yes can safely say this is the coldest november night i have ever seen and could get lower by the looks of things, everything is iced solid has been since half past 6.

Friday night got down to -6, last night -4 now tonight -7 and could get lower. To put it like this, the garden hasn't thawed since friday just froze for 3 days.

Posted
Yes can safely say this is the coldest november night i have ever seen and could get lower by the looks of things, everything is iced solid has been since half past 6.

Friday night got down to -6, last night -4 now tonight -7 and could get lower. To put it like this, the garden hasn't thawed since friday just froze for 3 days.

my garden here has not thawed fully since friday evening but it has not got lower than -3c,or above 1.9c :drunk:

currently -0.8c :o

SP

Posted
my garden here has not thawed fully since friday evening but it has not got lower than -3c,or above 1.9c :drunk:

currently -0.8c :o

SP

Great stuff. As you say, Go maith. Ta cupla focail gaeilge agam

Edited by adamjones416

Posted

Coldest temperatures in Wales are in the central regions away from coasts and in the valley floors given the current set-up.

The coldest part of the UK in terms of sq m of temps below freezing is Cumbria, County Durham followed by Scottish Borders into parts of southern Scotland.

Posted
Great stuff. As you say, Go maith. Ta cupla focail gaeilge agam

ah you no your irish :o ,saddly i dont know any welsh....sorry... :drunk:

i have had more frosts than you this autunm/winter though :o

SP

Posted
ah you no your irish :o ,saddly i dont know any welsh....sorry... :drunk:

i have had more frosts than you this autunm/winter though :o

SP

Haha lol,

Welsh for that's good ys, Mae hwnna'n dda:)

Welsh is my first language irish yours?

And lol if your going by my Personal Signature then it ahsn't been updated for a while now not since mid october. so i don't know you now i've had nearly atleast a ground frost everynite since as i live in the Brecon Beacons which in my local area raises to about 500meters absl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

I didnt think any mins are going to broken what about max ?

-3c in Newcastle must be close for November as a max ?

Posted
I didnt think any mins are going to broken what about max ?

-3c in Newcastle must be close for November as a max ?

Well Glasgow had its coldest November day since 1985 yesterday.

The maximum yesterday on the Warcop Range was -3.0C. But on the 20th November 2004 Loch Glascarnoch did not climb above -3.8C and the maximum on the 28th Nov 1993 at Braemar was -8C.

Anyway, Nov 2008 turned out to be .1C above average on Manley.

Posted

Any input is very much appreciated.

Thanks

You only have to go back to 20th November 2005 for the last day in the CET series that was (almost certainly) colder. As others have said the month end cold is certainly noteworthy by recent standards, but far from exceptional. You have to go back to 1993 to find the last time we had consecutive November days with the CET <1C.

SF