Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Suggestion For 'improved' Nw Extra

Posted

This is addressed to the site engineers/techies.

Yet again I've reached deep into my pocket and invested in the NW Winter special. I know I won't regret it.

On the GFS Extra chart display there is the option to look at the previous GFS chart. JH has been advising everybody NOT to compare sequential GFS forecasts but to look at 06z to 06z, 12z to 12z etc.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have this option available for forecast comparison on the Extra site.

Even better, and if this were possible, if the previous (and earlier in 24 hour lumps) forecasts could be called up but with a 24 hour offset, it would be possible to compare directly what is currently forecast with what was forecast up to 4 days previously for the same time - hope that makes sense.

Anyway it's something I've been thinking about for a while and don't know if it's technically possible. I can already see difficulties when we get to the low res part of the frecast but I suppose that could be got round with a clever algorythm :D

Posted

Hi MO63, good idea and in theory sounds possible, although we don't keep all of the charts beyond 24 hours so it would have to be just using the small selection we keep for the archives. Will pass it over to karl to see what he thinks :D

Posted

Oooooo whilst on the subject of updates/improvements ... now that mobile devices are becoming ever popular and it's now the norm to use a Blackberry/iPhone type device to view the site could we have a mobile version of NW extra ?

KjF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme!

The whole site, including Extra and the Forum work perfectly on my Viewty mobile, I use the normal radar too, not the mobile version. The only thing I can see that doesn't work is animations on the radar etc, but it's not a big problem.

Posted

Cheers MCT, and yep the whole site should be accessible from mobile devices already, it's just a case of adding in a few more areas designed specifically with mobiles etc that's to come :D

Posted

Thanks all, will have to re-try the mobile stuff ..... if you need a beta tester for any future mobile content count me in as I tend to be joined at the hip with my Blackberry these days :D

KjF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I have a good idea, I think we should have badges for competition winners and for different ranks. E.g a photographers badge for people with good photography, Also special badges for like forecaster of the month and stuff.

SS