Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Your Weather Equipment

If you have a weather station post pictures of it here.

Here's mine

Base

ws3600.jpg

Rain gauge,

Collecting rain like theres no tommorow,

rainfd5.jpg

The temperature dew point humidity sensors and also sends data to a computer,

(I also have another temperature sensor in another location)

temprf0.jpg

The anemometer and wind chill I have 2 in two locations smile.gif

windun2.jpg

wind2es3.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

That's a nice station!

Where did you get it? I am after purchasing a new one, but the only resoruce I can find is eBay. :drinks:

Edited by Backtrack

It cost me £500 but I got it when a sale was on they can range from £500 to £650. Its a Davis Vantage Pro 2 very popular weather stations and are probably one of the best in the world.

Heres eBay http://shop.ebay.co....-All-Categories

Warning I would not buy one from America thats wireless because the frequency they use is illegal in Britain. I got a European version thats wired.

Edited by weathermaster

Posted

Thanks for the reply. :drinks:

Why is the frequency illegal? Can't do any damage surely?

Posted

Not too sure why it is but when I asked on another forum everyone told me not to buy one from America thats wireless cause its illegal. Must interfere with radio signals or TV signals.

Don't want that then. Damn, they're only £120 from the USA too. Looks like i'll have to go with something cheaper until I get a job.

Something like this looks ok for me! :drinks:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SmartWeather-Advanced-PC-Pro-Wireless-Weather-Station-/220641563086?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Gadgets&hash=item335f4311ce

• 1 month later...
Posted

Oooo...I've not seen one of those for real before. I suppose it's difficult to compare it to a full-blown Vantage Pro, but being Davis, it's going to be a serious bit of kit.

Photos of my station can be seen here

Posted

Here's mine, a Davis Vantage Pro 2 with 24hr FARS:

post-2418-062607000 1283343823_thumb.jpg

Its located on the fence at the back of the garden, just about the only place that is far enough away from the house. I got the FARS as I was concerned about heat from the fence affecting temperatures when it gets sunshine (though this only happens from Apr - Aug) and it seems to do the job as my maximum temperatures always stay in line with official stations around here. It also allows the sensor to react quickly to temperature changes in a sunshine and showers scenario for example. The only annoyance is the conifers and holly bush behind have to be trimmed regularly so that the rain gauge is correctly exposed, but so far no issues with that - and it makes me keep them tidy! Also on the same pole you can just see my old LaCrosse WS2300 which is still running after nearly 6 years, temperatures from that are pretty good, never more than a degree or so out from the Davis. It does however suffer the issue of reading slightly higher during the day (0.5-1.0C or so) and lower during the night, as a result of radiated heat and radiative cooling from the raincover.

The accuracy of the Davis is second to none I might add. I have access at work to temperature probes with an accuracy of +/-0.05C and used it to do a calibration - the Davis was absolutely spot on, not even 0.1C out. This was also the case under sunshine aswell, so Im very pleased indeed.

My anemometer is currently located on the fence away from the bushes, but Im not happy with its location, it'll be going on the roof next week on a pole as OON has done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted

I've got a Davis Vantage pro cabled. The temp seems to 'spike' particularly in sunshine. Is this set up the cause, ie. the heat from the fence and decking plank!!

Can't put it in the lawn due to spoiling the footy pitch!

Would I be better getting an alloy pole/mast to use as a bracket from the fence?

post-2646-0-74193200-1291716667_thumb.jp

Posted

You might be, although if the spike's more pronounced in the winter, then it could just be the low angle of the sun having more impact that it would in the summer? I've made a foil-covered shield type thing which sits about 5ft from the sensor, and ensures it stays in shade all day, but isn't sheltered by it at all. Sticking it on a pole away from anything vertical certainly won't do any harm though.

Times have changed a bit. A shielded snow gauge from 1917. (NOAA photo library)

That's not a young JH is it? :D

Don't be ridiculous. That's John Holmes' grandson in the photo.

Posted

Can I just point out that if your sensor is in a good quality radiation shield that in theory you shouldn't need to shield the shield?

Met Office observing sites tend to be open sites with no trees or anything casting a shadow over the equipment (unlike my garden), and their equipment is shielded only by the stephenson screen.

Edited by paul tall

Posted

I agree, you shouldn't need to, and I'd like to think my VP2 is good quality! But....I have noticed that in the middle of winter, when the sun is at its lowest, the temperature does spike at exactly the time the suite is in sunlight, whilst it doesn't do this in the summer. I can only imagine it's down to the angle of the sun perhaps penetrating the louvres a bit?

Posted

I agree, you shouldn't need to, and I'd like to think my VP2 is good quality! But....I have noticed that in the middle of winter, when the sun is at its lowest, the temperature does spike at exactly the time the suite is in sunlight, whilst it doesn't do this in the summer. I can only imagine it's down to the angle of the sun perhaps penetrating the louvres a bit?

Maybe that very same spike would be recorded by equipment in a Stephenson Screen?.

My equipment is shielded by a Davis screen and has no such spike, however it is naturally shaded by tall trees on one side of the garden.

Posted

No it's not just a winter thing. I'm guessing it's reflected heat from some of the wood nearby.

Is your station still in the same place as on the photo's OON? How on earth did you get permission from the Boss to decorate it with a foil shield? You got a photo with the shield in place?