Just watched channel 4 news interview by Jon Snow with Ed Balls - in a 5 minute piece not once did Balls say exactly what Labour would do to stimulate growth.Absolutely clueless!Now i know some people on here will snipe at Osborne but, honestly, the official Opposition is just as clueless!As someone who has quickly lost faith in our country's politicians, i fear for our future - i really do!

Funny that economy in such a mess and yet the FT is still climbling making more fat investors, the statement that their no money in the UK a joke!

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just watched channel 4 news interview by Jon Snow with Ed Balls - in a 5 minute piece not once did Balls say exactly what Labour would do to stimulate growth. Absolutely clueless! Now i know some pe

There might be a growing number of full time jobs coming on board, which in one way is welcome, but at what a cost! From what I have heard the majority, apart from within the City of London are for lo

TEITS, you have hit the nail on the head but I fear the vast majority of the population are just keeping their heads down, burying them in the sand and hoping it doesn't happen to them. I can't say I

Posted Images

Funny that economy in such a mess and yet the FT is still climbling making more fat investors, the statement that their no money in the UK a joke!

There has always been money, keith...How else can Osborne afford to throw it, willy-nilly, at the very rich?

Just watched channel 4 news interview by Jon Snow with Ed Balls - in a 5 minute piece not once did Balls say exactly what Labour would do to stimulate growth.Absolutely clueless!Now i know some people on here will snipe at Osborne but, honestly, the official Opposition is just as clueless!As someone who has quickly lost faith in our country's politicians, i fear for our future - i really do!

wholeheartedly agree with you bristle boy. The thought of balls and milliband in charge of the uk  is frightening to say the least.

Thats why milliband talks through his nose.... cause everytime his lips move the public know he is lying. 

Labour got my vote once and will never receive it again as long as i have the ability to vote in elections.

There has always been money, keith...How else can Osborne afford to throw it, willy-nilly, at the very rich?

Yes we back to the old favorite distribution of wealth no political party are willing to bite off the hand that feeds them Posted Image

wholeheartedly agree with you bristle boy. The thought of balls and milliband in charge of the uk  is frightening to say the least.

Thats why milliband talks through his nose.... cause everytime his lips move the public know he is lying. 

Labour got my vote once and will never receive it again as long as i have the ability to vote in elections.

I agree too, in a way...Imagine what it's like, sitting only a few feet away from George Osborne; a man whose words clearly emanate from his a**e. Wouldn't you talk through your nose!Posted Image 

• Like 1

1997?

The question begs which party or politician has actually got a workable solution to a crisis that was stated on labours watch and continues to this day.

• Like 1

The question begs which party or politician has actually got a workable solution to a crisis that was stated on labours watch and continues to this day.

I think it goes back way before then, SI...And, quite frankly, I don't believe any of them have a clue. Or ever have had a clue!

1997?

yes s.b exactly.

never again though. I was a year living in suffolk  , coming from a glaswegian labour background.( my dad was one of glasgows rare conservative voters , being of a northern irish unionist extraction.)

yes s.b exactly.

never again though. I was a year living in suffolk  , coming from a glaswegian labour background.( my dad was one of glasgows rare conservative voters , being of a northern irish unionist extraction.)

Interestingly for me 01 would have been the more likely election for me to turn away from the Tories. Major had overseen good economic growth and a fiscal readjustment while Labour were unproven. In 01 Labour had by and large done nothing wrong and stuck to Tory spending plans broadly so even i would have had to admit that there was little reason to vote against them. Of course by 05 i'd have had to spoil my vote, Labour were spending, Howard was old and rubbish, Lib Dems were still under the control of the left. 2010 however was a much easier decision, a moderate Tory government against the worst PM since WW2.

• Like 1

Interestingly for me 01 would have been the more likely election for me to turn away from the Tories. Major had overseen good economic growth and a fiscal readjustment while Labour were unproven. In 01 Labour had by and large done nothing wrong and stuck to Tory spending plans broadly so even i would have had to admit that there was little reason to vote against them. Of course by 05 i'd have had to spoil my vote, Labour were spending, Howard was old and rubbish, Lib Dems were still under the control of the left. 2010 however was a much easier decision, a moderate Tory government against the worst PM since WW2.

dont always agree with much of what you write sb but you are a very fair minded poster who writes intelligently on uk politics.

Labour silent on the economy because they know their policies (still cutting public spending but riskily borrowing in an attempt to stimulate growth) would not be popular with their traditional voters. 

UKIP are promising the world (better services, tax cuts, deficit reduction). Presumably, given their right wing tendancies this will come at the expense of massive spending cuts and privatisation of services.

Lib Dems want to reduce the deficit but would like to hammer the middle and upper clasess with tax rises to achieve this.

Tories want to reduce the deficit via public spending cuts.

The fact is, none of the policies on offer will work. No country has ever recovered from the deficit/debt equation we have now and we will be no different. Whoever is in power, we will continue to print funny money until we either get hit by a inflation tsunami or our currency gets trashed (after which we will have an inflation tsunami!). The only difference to Thailand, Argentina, Honduras, South Korea, Greece, Cyprus, Eire, Portugal, Spain is that several big economies, included the US, are in the same boat and this time the IMF won't be able to bail out everyone.

I used to think the conservatives were best placed to run the economy but the last three years has shown that they don't have the backbone to make the reforms that the economy needs in order to have a future. They will only make short term decision designed for electoral gain. The only slight compliment I could play them is that things have stopped getting worse as quickly as they were under the last government.

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 3

FTSE wont climb much more and is already over valued. Follow the smart money and Mr buffet has the largest cash pile he has ever had. He doesnt always get it right, but is never far wrong and the fact that he prefers cash to the major equities speaks volumes.

Their is alot of cash sploshing around but none of it is really getting to the investors as nothing is really increasing in real value.

First bonds, then commodities, then shares...up quickly, down quickly, but the rides are always on low volume, hence nobody is really making any real money from it.

IMO, so long as so many Labour and Tory MPs have the snouts firmly ensconced in the Financial Sector money-trough, neither of our two biggest parties will ever have any real solutions to our economic woes...They may blether and blame each other but, at the end of the day, they are playing the same game; they are treating the UK economy (along with however many lives/jobs that involves) as one ginormous hedge fund...

• Like 2

I came across the following article in Hazard Magazine which makes very intersting reading. Apologies for the length of it but I was reluctant to precis it as I did not wish it to lose any of its overall context:-

"UK Parliamentary watchdog says UK Government’s infrastructure plans lack rigour

The credibility of the coalition's £310bn plan to boost Britain's infrastructure and help the economic recovery has been questioned by MPs. The Public Accounts Committee (PAC) urged ministers to be "realistic" about how much private and public investment can be raised with the economy in a fragile position.

In a report issued on April 29, the committee stressed that investment in power generation facilities, roads, railways, airports, ports and communication systems was "crucial for stimulating economic growth".

But it said: "We are not convinced that a plan requiring £310bn of investment in infrastructure is credible given the current economic climate, the cutbacks in public finances and the difficulty in raising private finance for projects on acceptable terms."

The Treasury says it has prioritised 40 programmes but the committee claimed many of these are broad and that there are 200 individual projects "whose relative priority is not clear".

"The Treasury should assess how much investment can realistically be financed and develop a coherent strategy using tightly defined criteria to identify and prioritise projects," it said.

The report also cautioned that investors would be reluctant to come forward with money "until government policy is clear and consistent".

The Treasury said it did not agree with the committee's depiction of its plans and insisted long-term infrastructure was a central priority. Last week, Drax Power became the first recipient of a UK Guarantee, with the Treasury underwriting £75m of investment in biomass energy.

Legislative and regulatory frameworks will similarly need to provide sufficient certainty to secure private sector investment at a time when competition for capital is internationally competitive.

CBI director-general John Cridland said: “I have a queue of businesses at my door telling me delivery of the Government’s Infrastructure Plan needs speeding up. The new guarantees scheme has so far only managed to deliver two projects. More are in the pipeline but we need them delivered.

‘We need ministers to pick three or four big infrastructure projects that demonstrate to investors what we can achieve and then do everything in their power to see them through."

Roger Salomone of the Engineering Employers Association said: "Never has investment in infrastructure been more important,’ added . ‘With the UK stagnating and global competition intensifying, it can help give the economy a shot in the arm today and lay foundations for our competitiveness tomorrow." "

Kind Regards

Dave

• Like 1

UK unemployment up by 15000, the third rise in a row.

Some very odd figures coming out...

Number of vacancies is at its highest since 2008, youth unemployment is down, the private sector employment indicator (as below) is high and the economy grew.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/192261/13-152b-Private_Sector_Employment_Indicator_-_Quarter_4_2012.pdf

It's possible since the 15000 is based on Jan-March that what we are seeing is the post-Christmas seasonal sackings.

UK unemployment up by 15000, the third rise in a row.

Some very odd figures coming out...

Number of vacancies is at its highest since 2008, youth unemployment is down, the private sector employment indicator (as below) is high and the economy grew.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/192261/13-152b-Private_Sector_Employment_Indicator_-_Quarter_4_2012.pdf

It's possible since the 15000 is based on Jan-March that what we are seeing is the post-Christmas seasonal sackings.

That's where the old 'seasonally-adjusted' figure used to help...I could never see anything wrong with using it, myself...

That's where the old 'seasonally-adjusted' figure used to help...I could never see anything wrong with using it, myself...

Aye, it does seem very odd that the private sector could be giving readings of 59 (anything above 50 is growth so that's pretty strong) while we get 3 months of increases in unemployment.

Of course carry on hitting those struggling to exist. It's bloody appalling.

Amazon: sales £4.2bn, tax paid £2.4m, grants received £2.5m

Amazon’s main UK business was given more in government grants than it paid in corporation tax last year, it emerged yesterday, as the online retailer’s tax arrangements came under fire again.

Despite sales of £4.2 billion in this country, the American giant’s British subsidiary received £2.5 million in government grants during 2012 — £75,000 more than the £2.4 million it paid in corporation tax last year.

Amazon is among a string of multinational companies, including Apple, Starbucks and Google, whose tax structures have drawn criticism from the public, thrusting tax avoidance to the top of the political agenda.

The latest outcry over Amazon’s tax avoidance comes as Matt Brittin, a Google vice-president, is due to appear before the Commons Public Accounts Committee to give evidence on tax avoidance today.

Margaret Hodge, the chairwoman of the committee, which called the behaviour of Amazon, Google and Starbucks “immoral†when executives appeared in November, said last night that Amazon’s tax arrangements were a “jokeâ€.

“What people will find particularly galling is that the amount Amazon is paying in tax is actually less than they are taking from UK taxpayers’ pockets in government grants,†she said.

An extract. © The Times.

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Britain's  Best  Export .... our Hard Earned Cash ... personal government assistance available !

Edited by be cause

Britain's  Best  Export .... our Hard Earned Cash ... personal government assistance available !

Britain's best export is its people...lots of skilled professional have left the UK in the last decade...most never to return.

Britain's best export is its people...lots of skilled professional have left the UK in the last decade...most never to return.

and fresh air, saw an article on the news a few days ago about Felixstow and the ships come in with loaded containers and then go back out empty.