Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
grab my graupel

Broadband speed test

I've just had Satellite Broadband installed and its brilliant. 18 Megs Down, 6 Megs Up. The best bit was telling BT where to shove their crappy service!

How much is that a month? Guess broadband is slow in Shetland

Edited by lfcdude

I head bt updateding Shetland to super fast Boradband over next few years

Here's my result for where I live in country New South Wales:

Posted Image

Virgin widely have speeds of 100mbps. They've recently been around this area and we have received letters aying they have rolled out super-fast fibre optic broadband. Having checked the speeds of people in the area, I can safely attest that they have really high speeds on average, the lowest I found was 20mbps with Virgin. I have Sky and the service is often terrible, for no reason too.

Once my contract ends with Sky I am switching to Virgin asap, they are cheaper, and I don't need a landline phone (whenever we do use it, as infrequent as it is, it racks up a large bill, and we get too many calls from people trying to sell us things!)

When it comes to what I want from my broadband it isn't just about speed. I also look for a stable line so my router isn't resynching every day, no traffic managment systems throttling my connection, low latency for online gaming. Unfortunately based on my online friends experience of Virgin is why i've never been interested in joining them. Also I have heard their customer services is dreadful.

The traffic management system from Virgin runs from 10am to 9pm and if you breech the limit your speed is reduced by 50% for 5hrs. This shouldn't be a big problem for many at the moment but in years to come we shall no longer purchase Blu ray/DVD/Video games from shops and will be download only. This is why shops such as Game, HMV will be screwed in years to come.

Very nice!

I'd post mine but it varies a hell of a lot, although never goes below 20MB with the online speedtest. Router is currently synced (and hasn't budged for a few months) at 66 MB download / 20 MB upload on VDSL

how do you boost the router signal?..in my lounge i get 25mb download and 4mb upload..in my hall its is 18mb and 4mb..then if i move 5 feet into my bedroom i get 0.5mb download and 3mb upload..any reason why this would be?

Here's mine....impressed with the 90 odd MB's from the Manc fan!

Posted Image

Edited by GoonerGregg77

Been hovering around 1mb and then... boom, BT Infinity time :)

Posted Image

Mind you, it's 70mb on the landline downstairs. It's nice. BT Infinity is a wonderous thing, I was wondering about Virgin Media fibre-optic but apparently that is VERY hit and miss?

I'm with sky but download awful, 5 mins to down load a 1 min you tube video sometimes

Is it where you live or can better providers really make a difference ?

I'm with sky but download awful, 5 mins to down load a 1 min you tube video sometimes

Is it where you live or can better providers really make a difference ?

Depends, sometimes the fault lies with the ISP but sometimes its just your line. The best way of telling is to find out your line stats and what DB your attenuation is. This is easily done by just logging into your router. The higher the attenuation the slower your broadband will be and a very high attenuation is often caused by the long copper wire to the exchange. If this is the case then switching to Fibre optic broadband will drastically improve your speed.

Posted Image

BT really need to stop spending their money advertising products they can't supply to most of the country, they promised me fiber optic 2 and a half years ago and I'm still waiting.

If they don't sort it soon I'm going to start writing in to OfCom about these adverts they are constantly spewing all over the television.

I eventually got fed up with BT and have now binned them and now have Satellite Broadband from Tooway. I now have 18 Gigs Down/6 Gigs Up ALL THE TIME!

Not sure if Virgin have been 'doing something' but I was a bit gobsmacked by this yesterday.

It's usually between 4 and 6mb which is not bad for ADSL 5 miles from the exchange.

Since then it has been consistently over 6mb

Posted Image

I guess you meant 18MB/s down, 6MB/s up, Hagar Posted Image

Here we must be one of the few households that gets almost exactly what all the predictors show, with Plusnet ADSL2, about 2 miles from the exchange. We're on the cheapie package since we're not heavy users:

post-5431-0-84853700-1354471770_thumb.pn

I ditched BT after being stuck with less than 3mbps connection for 18 months. Switched to Sky and am happily rolling along with a 16mbps download connection :)

Posted Image

Quite poor, and I'm not sure if it's possible for it to be any better.

It's more like faster than 91% of the UK in Glasgow...

Just got upgraded to what's supposed to be 100Mb/s.

Still, can't complain! 

Posted Image

Im the same as you and yes they claim 100Mb/s, But they forget to tell you that 100Mb/s applies when its 3am when usage is very low.

But im with virginmedia and i get at worst 50 to 60Mb/s.

Edited by Dancerwithwings

Upload needs a bit of work though!

Posted Image

They'll push it up to 10mb in a bit.

still only getting under 8 mb but that be Changing start of next year  were I be getting up to 80mb download and 20mb upload

Posted Image