Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
grab my graupel

Broadband speed test

This might cheer some o0f you with slows speeds up:

My currenbt status before being upgrade to FTTC on Monday which has to deliver over 5mb?

Upstream line rate (kbit/s) 421

Downstream line rate (kbit/s) 430

Line standard ADSL2

Channel type Interleaved

Upstream SNR (dB) 12.1

Downstream SNR (dB) 11

Upstream interleave depth 2

Downstream interleave depth 16

Upstream line attenuation (dB) 43.2

Downstream line attenuation (dB) 71

Upstream output power (dBmV) 12.5

Downstream output power (dBmV) 0

Upstream CRC 0

Downstream CRC 0

Upstream FEC 140

Downstream FEC 0

Now is that bad of is that bad?

On the current crap LLU network the best has been 2126kbs and todays is the worst, if we were stayinf with AOL/talk talk I would be reporting a line fault today.

Edited by HighPressure

This might cheer some o0f you with slows speeds up:

My currenbt status before being upgrade to FTTC on Monday which has to deliver over 5mb?

Downstream line attenuation (dB) 71

Now is that bad of is that bad?

On the current crap LLU network the best has been 2126kbs and todays is the worst, if we were stayinf with AOL/talk talk I would be reporting a line fault today.

Looking at those line stats and im not entirely sure the ISP is all to blame for your poor speeds. For starters your SNR at 11 is quiet high and preferably this needs to be at either 9 or 6. Im assuming its this high because your line is unstable at a lower SNR. What is worse is your line attenutation of 71DB as thats very poor. This could be caused by either internal wiring problem, very long copper line from your green box to the exchange or a combination of both. Still as your moving to FTTC with BT the long copper line issue would be addressed.

At my wits end with my broadband........currently showing 6.97mbps and always does show around this figure; yet some evenings I can't even load basic webpages on computer or phone connected to wifi. FYI I'm with Talk Talk.......why I did this to myself I never know, I moved in just before they updated the exchanges to fibre optic around here- I wanted Virgin Media but couldn't get it at the time so settled with Talk Talk.

My friends have the same issue with Talk Talk during the evenings. This is called traffic management or some refer to it as traffic shaping and although many ISPS do this Talk Talk are the worst for this in my opinion. Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Posted · Hidden by TEITS, March 1, 2012 - edited previous post.
Hidden by TEITS, March 1, 2012 - edited previous post.

At my wits end with my broadband........currently showing 6.97mbps and always does show around this figure; yet some evenings I can't even load basic webpages on computer or phone connected to wifi. FYI I'm with Talk Talk.......why I did this to myself I never know, I moved in just before they updated the exchanges to fibre optic around here- I wanted Virgin Media but couldn't get it at the time so settled with Talk Talk.

My friends have the same issue with Talk Talk during the evenings. This is called traffic management or some refer to it as traffic shaping and although many ISPS do this Talk Talk are the worst for this in my opinion.

Here is a very useful tool for testing what speed you may get before signing up to an ISP.

The first link is for ADSL+2 which is offered by ISPS such as O2, Sky etc.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed2.php

So if you type in Highpressures line attenuation of 71DB it predicts around 2-4mbps. Now if you type in a line attenuation of 20DB the result is 14-18mbps!!

Here is the link for standard ADSL.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/maxspeed.php

So using Highpressure as an example it wouldn't matter if his ISP was Sky, O2 or Bethere the speeds would be roughly the same as his current ISP. Reason being is the high attenuation is the cause of the slow speeds and not just the ISP.

By the way if anyone is planning on changing ISP then please send me a PM first before signing up. I can tell you exactly what is available to you and roughly what kind of speeds you will get. Do not listen to the rubbish the sales people will tell you!

My friends have the same issue with Talk Talk during the evenings. This is called traffic management or some refer to it as traffic shaping and although many ISPS do this Talk Talk are the worst for this in my opinion.

Yeah, thought so TEITS. It's so bad sometimes I can't even get on to the internet to browse.

Only have a contract until September, debating paying the last 6 months all in one go and going elsewhere.....perhaps Virgin Media where I can get the TV thrown in aswell!

Is there any way to get around such throttling of even simple web pages?

Edited by CreweCold

Looking at those line stats and im not entirely sure the ISP is all to blame for your poor speeds. For starters your SNR at 11 is quiet high and preferably this needs to be at either 9 or 6. Im assuming its this high because your line is unstable at a lower SNR. What is worse is your line attenutation of 71DB as thats very poor. This could be caused by either internal wiring problem, very long copper line from your green box to the exchange or a combination of both. Still as your moving to FTTC with BT the long copper line issue would be addressed.

I suspect its simply or should I say was length of copper wire as I know the cabinet was only knocking out 4mb when I was getting just under 2 mb. I say was because since 11pm I have no interface, ADSL will not sync and my phoneline is dead, which suggests to me AOL have buggered off early leaving me with nothing? It could be some weird coincidence as BT are due to switch my calls to them at some point today but if not its a bit naughty leaving me with no line.

I wonder what will happen next? I have my BT kit but am not allowed to open it but maybe just maybe I could be on FTTC already?

Edited by HighPressure

Well I thought I would start documenting my FTTC saga here with hopefully a few useful tips for anyone still waiting for their next gen service to arrive (as, incidentally, at this stage I too am!)

So, this all began 3 weeks ago when after finally having some time to shop around to leave the idiocy of, to be polite lets stick with the name..TalkTalk. To my surprise when checking through all the usual suspects (Sky, o2, Orange, Be etc.) I discovered on PlusNet that we were supposedly able to obtain a fibre optic connection from them. I was dubious of this and so contacted their sales team to confirm/deny this. To my further surprise they confirmed this...twice! (I'm very untrusting). Due to the fact that paying the line rental upfront saved £42 over the year, I decided to wait until the end of the month so this could be afforded. Fine. So a week before the end of the month I checked the website again and yes, still available. Excellent...and this, is as they say, where the plot begins to thicken.

At the same time as this, co-incidentally, BT Openreach had just begun laying new cabling (presumably fibre-optic) and putting in some new cabinets...more on this later.

So wednesday evening just passed, I called PlusNet, all ready to sign up to their fibre extra service...woman at the end of the phone says that we are not in a fibre enabled area according to their checks. So having explained to her that we had been told before by two separate sales representatives that we were able to get this service, she continued to check via the BT Wholesale service, which provided an inconclusive result (due to the fact we are currently on an LLU service with TalkTalk) so she spoke to her manager and said we could expect a call back that evening but they suspect at the present time that their system was suffering faults. By 10pm when their call centre shut...nothing.

So, the next day I called them back and the gentleman on the line performed a whole array of tests, most of which seemed to conclude either that we couldn't get it or that we didn't exist - a fact which i reassured him was not true. He said he was unable to offer an explanation as to why the system was saying we were able to obtain the service two weeks ago yet not now, despite the fact that the FTTC status of our exchange (EASTD, Stansted) had been enabled for some time, and it was simply a case of waiting for FTTC cabinets.

On to BT then, and after similarly confusing results from the various tests this lady performed, another suggestion that we didn't exist (really...because I'm calling you on a landline...from a house...my house!!!) and another consultation with a manager, it was suggested that because there is currently 21cn WBC work taking place at the exchange the estimated sync speeds had all been thrown around and because it was now suggesting an ADSL sync speed of less than 1mbps that their database was not recognising our address....having done a little work with BT a few years ago that sounded pretty bogus to me but none the less the only suggestion that could be made was to call back again next month once exchange upgrade work had been completed.

So I took matters into my own hands. First of all I went for a drive around to locate the nearest PCP's to the house...one just down the road on my way to work, EASTD P3, pretty close to the house, new Huawei 128 FTTC cabinet installed next to the original PCP (FTTC cabinets are easy to spot because unlike the original PCP cabinets they have vent holes on them for exhaust and intake). Fine. Just a case of waiting for this to be powered up and away we go. Then I cam across a leaked PCP update document from BT Openreach online....from which I discovered that intact my post code was served mostly by EASTD P11, and partially by P19 (which also looks bogus to me because that cabinet is located almost 2 miles away!) but the good news is that as of December both of these cabinets were due for FTTC upgrade during phase 7b of the next gen rollout (which phase 6 having been completed in december), and so I reasoned that the BT Openreach engineers I had seen laying the new cabling must have been putting through fibre optic.

And so I went in search of P11, and found it just up the road in the opposite direction of P3, fine....only problem is, I could not see any sort of FTTC upgraded cabinet next to the PCP. I am hopeful this is just one of this situations where they have had to relocate the FTTC cabinet elsewhere due to space constraints and this is just hidden from view of the road, guess ill have to take a walk up there at some stage.

So in the mean time I have emailed Openreach to try and obtain a response to whether or not they have abandoned plans to FTTC upgrade P11 and if that is the case whether it is possible to re-route over copper (or even partially over fibre as they were definitely laying cable up as far as P11) and then back to this property. I am more hopeful that the FTTC cab for P11 has simply been placed elsewhere obscured from view but this seems just about my luck really.

Anyway if I get any correspondence from Openreach about this I will post back here and hopefully soon enough from a 40mbps connection....not holding out too much hope right now.

As a side note for anyone holding out or waiting for a connection shortly to FTTC...might be worth holding out until april if you are a sky customer. Looks like they will be launching a 40mbps FTTC service over the Openreach network, with unlimited usage and no traffic management from what I've read for £20 a month (and a one off £50 connection fee in some cases)

SK

Edited by snowking

As a side note for anyone holding out or waiting for a connection shortly to FTTC...might be worth holding out until april if you are a sky customer. Looks like they will be launching a 40mbps FTTC service over the Openreach network, with unlimited usage and no traffic management from what I've read for £20 a month (and a one off £50 connection fee in some cases)

SK

Thanks for sharing this as I didn't know about this. I have posted the link below. Also Be/O2 are also awaiting approval to offer FTTC via openreach.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5004-sky-to-launch-40-mbps-fibre-service-for-20-a-month.html

Just add that when the FTTC cabinets were installed in my area it was around 3 months before the service was available.

At the moment im unsure whether to change ISP because im quiet happy with my current connection. I may wait until the FTTC is upgraded from 40mbps to 100mbps.

Thanks for sharing this as I didn't know about this. I have posted the link below. Also Be/O2 are also awaiting approval to offer FTTC via openreach.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5004-sky-to-launch-40-mbps-fibre-service-for-20-a-month.html

Just add that when the FTTC cabinets were installed in my area it was around 3 months before the service was available.

At the moment im unsure whether to change ISP because im quiet happy with my current connection. I may wait until the FTTC is upgraded from 40mbps to 100mbps.

No problem at all and thanks for the time frame indicated above for FTTC switch on.

I'm not too sure about BT Wholesale but I know Plus Net have just started offering a 20mb up/80mb down service on trial so you would guess it won't be long before BT Wholesale start offering their 80mbps service as standard (remember reading somewhere that it was expected by Q3 2012.) And particularly in light of Virgin Media's 100mbps rollout.

Another new service for anyone really looking at a turbo boost on their connection:

https://hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home

1gbps offering if you're willing to fork out £50/month (and you're in a connected area) - this is presumably an FTTP service

SK

Edited by snowking

Well today is my big day the BT engineer is due between 1pm-6pm to install our dumbed down version of infinity, we are promised 5.2mb so he is not leaving here until we get it. Even our local mobile mast is down and they tell me they will get it fixed eventually, so I am now on a distant 3G link which makes my old dial up modem look quick. :lazy:

If you hear of a BT engineer being held hostage later today you will know who has got him. :search:

Can't do a speed test as the page won't load :(

Edited by HighPressure

Can't do a speed test as the page won't load :(

I sometimes can't load the speed test page on my '7mb' broadband.........

Last night my internet pages wouldn't load......now I have heard of ISPs temporarily opening up a throttled connection for a speed test......I just kept doing the speed test over and over again and my connection went fine and I could load my pages. Wonder why that was?!

I may have enough wiring now to build my own Jumbo jet but on BT Total Faster BB (infinity in all but name)I am!

After being promised a min of 5.2mbps these are my results:

Posted Image

I may have taken me 2 months, 3 routers, 2 ISPs but I am chuffed at that being a mile from the cabinet.

Not sure why I have to have what appears 2 routers, one BT Hub3 and another BT Openreach one?

Unlike normal ADSL you cannot check the direct speed (or can you) at the router as apparently although its on their Openreach dont allow access to it?

One Question presumably for TEITS would be that my PC is Ethenet connected, but devices we have connected via wireless are showing @7-8mbps, is the difference that much between ethernet and wireless or is their some restriction on wireless speed?

All a bit of a far cry from the 1.8mbps AOL were supplying me with.

Edited by HighPressure

I may have enough wiring now to build my own Jumbo jet but on BT Total Faster BB (infinity in all but name)I am!

After being promised a min of 5.2mbps these are my results:

Posted Image

I may have taken me 2 months, 3 routers, 2 ISPs but I am chuffed at that being a mile from the cabinet.

Not sure why I have to have what appears 2 routers, one BT Hub3 and another BT Openreach one?

Unlike normal ADSL you cannot check the direct speed (or can you) at the router as apparently although its on their Openreach dont allow access to it?

One Question presumably for TEITS would be that my PC is Ethenet connected, but devices we have connected via wireless are showing @7-8mbps, is the difference that much between ethernet and wireless or is their some restriction on wireless speed?

All a bit of a far cry from the 1.8mbps AOL were supplying me with.

Wow that is a great connection.

Firstly you may appear to have two routers but infact one of them is a modem and the other is the actual router. As for the difference between ethernet and wireless and you will always have much faster speeds, lower ping through ethernet than wireless because of less interference. Are your wireless devices 802.11 N compatible?

One thing I always tell my Xbox live friends is to have devices such as gaming consoles wired rather than wireless. I find wireless is okay for browsing the internet via a laptop but the higher latency on wireless can causes issues when online gaming or voice chat.

I will add your ping is sensational. If I was playing MW3 on your connection those I was playing against wouldn't stand a chance lol.

I conect wirelessly to my router, and my house connects wirelessly to the village gateway where the fibre comes in, but I still get ping times around 15-20ms, so you won't always have much higher speeds. Ping times show no improvement if connected directly into the main village router.

Posted Image

I conect wirelessly to my router, and my house connects wirelessly to the village gateway where the fibre comes in, but I still get ping times around 15-20ms, so you won't always have much higher speeds. Ping times show no improvement if connected directly into the main village router.

Posted Image

Thats a very decent ping mate considering its wireless. I generally lose between 10-15ms ping when connecting wireless compared to ethernet. This might not sound much but can be a big difference when playing online shooters.

Do you participate in online gaming OON because I imagine you would do well on that connection?

Oh, I don't, but my son loves his Xbox and seems quite happy with things compared to when he goes to friends' houses with normal ADSL.

We have just upgraded the village wireless network to 5GHz which has made a massive difference. It's easily capable of delivering 300mbits to the subscribers...all we need now is the backhaul!

Oh, I don't, but my son loves his Xbox and seems quite happy with things compared to when he goes to friends' houses with normal ADSL.

Im not surprised. On the Xbox we connect to each other via P2P and on games such as COD the host is selected by upload connection/latency. So I guess your son hosts quiet a few matches. Would love to know his Kill to death ratio if he does play COD.

Have you ever been tempted to join your son online? I know some members including myself play online and I guess many of us would love the opportunity of shooting you lol.

Haven't tested mine in a while.

Posted Image

Wish my ISP would hurry up and join FTTC.

Having been with Virgin for many years i checked out a Sky package the other week but when i asked the girl on the stand to check the download speed on broadband in my street, if i switched to Sky it was about 3mbps.

So i stuck with Virgin and upgraded to 30mb - been testing the speed on and off for last few weeks and it v rarely goes below 28mbps, so v happy.

I guess cable's still not available for many of you.

You lot don't know how lucky you are! My download speed reached the dizzy heights of 350Kb/s the other night, but then I am 3 miles from the exchange.

Speaking of broadband I got an excellent deal from O2 who I have been with for over 4yrs. As I was out of contract they offered me 12months half price broadband (which works out to be £6.25 a month), a new router, 12 months Xbox live subscription, 2100 Microsoft points, and 5 downloadable Xbox arcade games. All I had to do was resign another contract for 1yr. This was fine by me because towards the end of next year they should be offering FTTC broadband.

Im looking forward to FTTC because I only have a short distance from my street cabinet which will mean my download speed will be around 60mb, upload 10mb.

Whilst I could go with ISPS such as Virgin I prefer to stick with O2 because my connection isn't throttled, customer services is excellent and free but above all else I like the fact I can simply phone my ISP and get them to change some of the settings i.e SNR. More importantly my ping is very low as I tend to do alot of online gaming.

Virgin widely have speeds of 100mbps. They've recently been around this area and we have received letters aying they have rolled out super-fast fibre optic broadband. Having checked the speeds of people in the area, I can safely attest that they have really high speeds on average, the lowest I found was 20mbps with Virgin. I have Sky and the service is often terrible, for no reason too.

Once my contract ends with Sky I am switching to Virgin asap, they are cheaper, and I don't need a landline phone (whenever we do use it, as infrequent as it is, it racks up a large bill, and we get too many calls from people trying to sell us things!)

Edited by Aaron

Virgin widely have speeds of 100mbps. They've recently been around this area and we have received letters aying they have rolled out super-fast fibre optic broadband. Having checked the speeds of people in the area, I can safely attest that they have really high speeds on average, the lowest I found was 20mbps with Virgin. I have Sky and the service is often terrible, for no reason too.

Once my contract ends with Sky I am switching to Virgin asap, they are cheaper, and I don't need a landline phone (whenever we do use it, as infrequent as it is, it racks up a large bill, and we get too many calls from people trying to sell us things!)

With sky ring up... say your leaving and there normally give you landline/Line rental free for a year... have to me twice... in the last 2 years..

Edited by lfcdude

I've just had Satellite Broadband installed and its brilliant. 18 Megs Down, 6 Megs Up. The best bit was telling BT where to shove their crappy service!