Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
grab my graupel

Broadband speed test

Posted Image

Horrific. Thank god the copper is due to be upgraded to 20mbps at the end of march here :)

Posted Image

Horrific. Thank god the copper is due to be upgraded to 20mbps at the end of march here :)

Lucky you

Apart from some national blip yesterday and today.

My virgin broadband is super.

I did try bt but after slow speeds and dropping out 'all' the time i was told to go and buy this fancy cable.(£47)

This made no difference what so ever.

I then got hold of an english guy who told me i was so far away from the exchange theres no way i would get a good service...great!

I cancelled my contract and got a full refund for lost months.

is this speed test ok :good:

Posted Image

i used to have an all wire adsl connection it was rubbish i was even unable even to watch

a low quality youtube video without loads of buffering uploading a video took a day or more

with sometimes the uploads failing

i upgraded to fibre optic cable assist youtube 1080p and vimeo high quality with no buffering wow.

Edited by gpspete

Posted Image

i used to have an all wire adsl connection it was rubbish i was even unable even to watch

a low quality youtube video without loads of buffering uploading a video took a day or more

i upgraded to fibre optic cable assist youtube 1080p and vimeo high quality with no buffering wow.

I guess there has to be one advantage to staying in Bicester :p

I guess there has to be one advantage to staying in Bicester :p

I live 2 miles from Bicester and get crap speed, although we do get 30,000 people coming to Bicester Village on Boxing day go figure.

Posted Image

Great download speeds but the upload is pretty rubbish (although better than ADSL) I never understand why there's a perception that slow upload speeds aren't a problem, but perhaps that's because I send very large files on a daily basis, I notice it more than most. With fibre optic, there really isn't any need to do it I'd have thought.

Does anyone have BT infinity yet?

My area has just been enabled and I must admit im tempted to have a 40mb download/10mb upload connection. Probably wouldn't get the 40mb as its FTTC rather than FTTH but I estimate I shouldn't lose too much speed due to the short distance of copper being used.

I not a great fan of BT im wireless and every day i have to reset the hub at least 3 times .maybe im to far away from exchange.

Just popped into say that over the past month I have needed to educate myself in the technical workings of Broadband and how it is delivered. After moving 2 months ago and resigning with AOL who were our previous ISP only to find I had a whopping 1.7mb download speed. Aol told me that was because I was on BB only and not calls package which would upgrade my line from max 8mb to 24mb.

Before singing up to AOL I asked them if they could match BT's offer of 5.2mb (I live rurally), they said they would the same as BT as the systems were the same, this was despite BT telling me that AOL were telling porkies. I duly signed up and awaited the big switch on day 15th Feb and sat on the bug day waiting for my speed to triple.

Well funnily enough the change happened and the speed went to 1.8mb and within hours it was 1.6mb, clearly AOL had been telling lies just to get me to signup.

Some investigation revelled how BT can offer faster speeds and why companies like AOL can't:

This is how a traditional telephone service is supplied to a property:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/oftel/publications/broadband/dsl_facts/LLUbackground.htm

It is a copper based system from exchange to cabinet to property, although a lot of exchanges are on fibre now, the LLU system still suffers from loss the further you are away from the exchange. The LLU system is the one which BT has to allow other IS providers to use.

This system which BT call infinity (Min 15mb) or a newer package BT Faster Total BB (5-15mb) is FTTC, and bridges the link between exchange and your nearest street cabinet, hence the name Fibre to the cabinet. BT do not share this system with other ISP's because they don't have too, as far as I am aware the law only requires the sharing of the LLU network.

HTTC connection:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4011-aaisp-connects-first-business-on-bt-fibre-to-the-cabinet-pilot.html

As for FTTH connections these are limited to pilot areas only as BT have concentrated on fibre to cabinets first. It could be several years before many get the availability of fibre to socket.

It has taken me a month to find out that AOL cannot deliver the same speed as BT, just in case anyone else should find themselves in the same situation.

Edited by HighPressure

AOL is owned by Talk Talk and in my experience I would avoid them.

When it comes to LLU operators some confusion occurs with this type of broadband and I shall explain why using O2 as an example although the same applies to Sky, Talktalk/AOL.

If your exchange has been enabled by O2 then you can recieve ADSL+2. This means download speeds upto 24mb, upload 2.5mb and the price varies between £10- £12.50. However if your exchange hasn't been enabled then you can still get your broadband from O2 but this means speeds of 8mb download, 448kbps upload and the price is around £20.

So why the difference?

When an ISP like Sky/O2/Talk talk/AOL have enabled your exchange what this means is they have installed their own DSLAM into your exchange. So this is why you get greater speeds at a cheaper price. However if your exchange has not been enabled then your broadband will be standard ADSL which is using BTs DSLAM. Now the reason this is more expensive is because these ISPS have to pay BT to use their DSLAM. Also ADSL can only offer 8mb download/448kbps upload.

So whenever you are choosing an ISP you need to check what is available at your exchange on the link below before signing up.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange_search

If you're thinking of switching to Sky, O2, Talktalk/AOL or any other LLU supplier you must make sure you they have installed their equipment at your exchange. If they haven't you will only recieve ADSL and pay alot more money. Generally these ISPS do not install their equipment in rural areas and tend to concentrate on citys and larger towns for obvious reasons.

I not a great fan of BT im wireless and every day i have to reset the hub at least 3 times .maybe im to far away from exchange.

Nothing to do with the connection the problem could be interference or just a plain crappy router they supply. Have you tried changing channels???

Anyway I'm with virgin and O2 I keep O2 because if Virgin goes wrong or gets over subscribed you could be waiting months or some cases years for a fix. Where I live BT Infinity is supplied by a third party called digital region who then let other companies use the fibre. Already ones gone bust and if you look at the websites of the providers most of them don't work with IE9 or Firefox. If you're a Internet based company at least you should get your website working properly. If you can't be bothered it basically indicates a problem behind the scenes.

In the meantime Virgin are doubling my speed from 50 meg to 50 meg eh? You mean a 100mb don't you. However this has gone back from March to July now already so will probably turn up around December. I'm dreading the so called upgrade because it will probably mean they'll break my connection.

I think the main problem with the next generation fibre technology is either the lack of understanding by staff at these companies or unwillingness to give accurate information?

Its very difficult to work out what a ISP is actually offering, the technical information available from their websites is not clear. I had 2 or 3 long conversations with AOL tech before and after signing up and it was impossible to get a straight answer.

My view is now that if BT have my telephone, DSL and interface there can be no argument who is responsible for what and any new technology will be available to BT before, other ISPs?

50mb I would be happy with 5mb :(

Edited by HighPressure

Its very difficult to work out what a ISP is actually offering, the technical information available from their websites is not clear. I had 2 or 3 long conversations with AOL tech before and after signing up and it was impossible to get a straight answer.

Actually it isn't.

For starters if you cannot get Virgin or BT FTTC then you will either get ADSL, ADSL+2 via LLU. This information can easily be obtained by using the samknows link I posted which tells you which ISPS are available at your exchange If for example you sign up with AOL but they had not enabled your exchange then you won't get the ADSL+2 package and you would be put onto the ADSL which only offers upto 8mb. Once you know what is available then you simply log into your router and check your line stats. What you need to check is your line attentuation (downstream) which is measured in DB. The lower the better and ideally your attenuation should be lower than 50DB.

So for example a few years ago I knew O2 were going to be installing their network into my exchange. So I checked on a daily basis until the samknows website said it been enabled. I knew my line attentuation was around 30DB and calculated I would get around 14mb download speeds. Once my line had been enabled I did a speedtest and my download speed was exactly what I calculated.

What I will say is you can improve your speed by changing the SNR (signal to noise ratio). So suppose your SNR is at 9DB but your line is very stable then you can ask your ISP to lower this to 6 or even 3DB. This will increase your speed but can make the line more unstable so its basically a juggling act until you are happy. You can easily check how stable your line is by checking how many days your router remains synched to the DSLAM. If your router has remained synched for over 30days then you could get away with lowering the SNR by 3DB.

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

Actually it isn't.

My problem was I knew the exchange was enabled, but the result for FTTC comes back as: Available in some areas. BT gave a speed of 5.2mb with faster Total BB, with AOL saying they could match it when in truth they never could because they are only on LLU and not FTTC. i had to physically make the change to find out, AOL gave no indication that they were not able to supply FTTC and happily stating I would go from 8mb to 24mb, so I assumed that would naturally mean a FTTC connection otherwise my speed could not change. In the end it didn't change so there was actually no upgrade at all from them. Edited by HighPressure

I would go from 8mb to 24mb, so I assumed that would naturally mean a FTTC connection otherwise my speed could not change. In the end it didn't change so there was actually no upgrade at all from them.

LLU operators like O2/Sky/Talktalk do offer upto 24mb without using FTTC because they offer ADSL+2. However rarely does anyone get these speeds because of the copper line. Having said this I still manage 14mb download speeds despite the long copper line.

Easy way to resolve this is check that link I posted and see if TalkTalk have enabled your exchange because they own AOL and use the same network. If they haven't and you were told you would get 24mb then they lied. This is because if your exchange hasn't been enabled AOL will put you through ADSL which only offers upto 8mb.

I know a fair bit about this because I have a friend on Xbox live who is with Talk Talk and when they upgraded his exchange it took them ages for them to switch him from ADSL to ADSL+2.

Samknows is a useful website but it got the information wrong for my address. If i got on that it says I can BT Infinity and then gives me a list of retailers which all say not available in my region. However digital region is but BT have given them control over the fibre. So Samknows can be misleading.

The other problem is the so called unlimited usage which when you dig deeper discover isn't always the case with limits on p2p etc hidden away in the small print.

Virgin miss sell their product willingly so if you wish to use them find people in the area that use to to discover whether it's over subscribed or not. If it's oversubscribed don't go anywhere near it as it's very likely you won't get anything useable for some considerable time. Okay you'll get a refund but you have to rung up each month to get it which is annoying. Basically it goes like this contact Virgin support they tell you nothing is wrong and reboot. Ring several times get told the same rubbish. Find Virgins online support forum wait a week and if you're lucky they'll tell you're on a over subscribed UBR and raise a ticket. You then ring customer services and get a refund. After a few months the ticket gets closed by tech support. You contact the forum and it's get re-opened but the fix date goes back you ring customer services and you go round the same routine. I've seen people in this loop for two years and still not resolved. Myself I signed up for the 20 meg package that worked properly for a day and the problem was only resolved when I upgraded to 50 meg which apart from dropped connections which I don't notice due to load balancing it's stayed up. However when I'm forced onto the 100mb and the 100mb kit I suspect Virgin will break everything.

I hope to switch to Virgin soon.. virtually all Virgin users in my area have download speeds higher then 20mbps.. here's mine with Sky currently, the slowest of all internet providers.

Posted Image

Not sure why it says server is Manhester

Edited by Aaron

Speedtest pings the few closest servers to your location and uses the one which replies the the quickest to download and upload the test files - the server in Manchester had the fastest ping when you did that test.

Posted Image

Hah, I can't even your upload speed as my download, which is typically 1.5Mbs.

When I talk to SKY they say "I have checked your account for your minimum line speed at point of sale and that is 0.7mbs amd your estimated line speed is between 1.4mbs to 4.0mbs....."

Hah flippin hah, i've never seen any better than 2Mbs, anybody would think Ilived on top a mountain to get those sorta speeds,

It's absolute [email protected], and there's no news from BT when they might even get beyond 2Mbs here, let alone 5Mbs or double figures. I've given up on download speed tests, it's simple can you watch BBC streaming, NOPE. .I dream of the day when I can run broadband speed tests and it goes above 2MBs download.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Huge decrease in speed here (short story is BT have now become involved in the previously County-run school broadband provision which has seen 100mbit line be artificially throttled back) but still quick enough for all day to day stuff, and good for gaming too....according to my son.

Posted Image Posted Image

Still looking into fibre to home project if we can sufficient funding from the Government who want us to have fibre to home. It's a long story.

Hah, I can't even your upload speed as my download, which is typically 1.5Mbs.

When I talk to SKY they say "I have checked your account for your minimum line speed at point of sale and that is 0.7mbs amd your estimated line speed is between 1.4mbs to 4.0mbs....."

Hah flippin hah, i've never seen any better than 2Mbs, anybody would think Ilived on top a mountain to get those sorta speeds,

It's absolute [email protected], and there's no news from BT when they might even get beyond 2Mbs here, let alone 5Mbs or double figures. I've given up on download speed tests, it's simple can you watch BBC streaming, NOPE. .I dream of the day when I can run broadband speed tests and it goes above 2MBs download.

BTs FTTC is scheduled for this year at your location but as of yet which month isn't confirmed. Have to be honest im confused why you get such low speeds. All the LLU ADSL+2 operators are in your region i.e Sky, O2 etc. You are either a very long distance from your exchange or your line attenuation is very high. The postcode of your exchange is BH152BP. How far from there are you?

Never posted by speedtest but here they are.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by THE EYE IN THE SKY

I dream of the day when I can run broadband speed tests and it goes above 2MBs download.

only a year or so to wait until we have 4g internet which will be soooo much faster than the majority of current broadband speeds and comparable to the current fastest cable/fibre speeds. to give an example, o2 have been testing their 4g/LTE network in slough since 2009 and they claim that their small 4g test area in slough could cope with the entire uk's 3g traffic!!

most new smartphones come with the ability to make the phone a wireless hotspot which could possibly render home broadband obsolete (in time). personally, if i'm gonna be paying o2 for my 4g internet as part of my line rental then i will be cancelling my home broadband.

Shame the uk is so far behind other countries but we are getting there. once they switch off the analogue tv signal OFCOM will auction it off to mobile networks and then by 2013 we will finally be ready to join the likes of north america, s korea and finland with superfast internet on mobile and pc. and it will reach remote places that current broadband setup could only dream of reaching.

o2 have another test area in central london (hyde park to the o2) and below is the speed test results using that 4g network - as u can see 85.88mbps d/l and 14.14mbps upload....not bad hey!! Officially, LTE supports upto 100mbps download and 50mbps upload.

post-15445-0-46850200-1330606818_thumb.p

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, i've not had a chance to read through the thread. But if you are thinking of changing your current broadband setup, you might want to wait a year - 4g will revolutionise mobile and pc internet.

Edited by Suburban Streamer

At my wits end with my broadband........currently showing 6.97mbps and always does show around this figure; yet some evenings I can't even load basic webpages on computer or phone connected to wifi. FYI I'm with Talk Talk.......why I did this to myself I never know, I moved in just before they updated the exchanges to fibre optic around here- I wanted Virgin Media but couldn't get it at the time so settled with Talk Talk.