Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
grab my graupel

Broadband speed test

Posted Image

A lot better then mine Stu!! Posted Image I'm quite happy with mine although I am not to keen that I can only use 40GB a month.

We (as a village) have managed to get BT to agree to provide us their Infinity fibre optic connections as part of a community initiative, where we provide the funding to make it commercially viable for them to do the infrastructure and sort out the wayleaves in order for their cables to reach properties. So in other words, we pay for it and do the hard work; they get the kudos and good PR out of providing an ickle village with superfast broadband. Still....I'll live with it.

Oon the speeds are a bit high for Infinity plus wireless connection. Infinity is up to 40 mb's according to BT and if you're using wireless you'd get less than that due to interference and going through walls and other objects.

So have BT done something else for you as part of another trail.

Pit...do you mean my previous speed test I posted? That was what's provided under the current set-up which has nothing to do with BT and is a fibre link connected to our village wireless network which can deliver 150mbps...if it was available. As far as BT are concernded, I understand they're just going to give us the best they can rather than a standard product, as we're going to be guinea pigs for rural areas. From what I've read, 40mb is the limit if you're using copper for the final bit of connection, but if people opt for fibre to home, the only limit is what package you subscribe to.

Posted Image

still rubbish as usual , a town north of here has had fibre optic installed recently , but have we? , nope.

Mine is ridiculously inconsistent, was running at 0.8Mbps yesterday morning, but it peaked at over 15 in the afternoon! At just over 4 at the moment.

Edited by Nick L

you are all lucky im thinking of returning home next summer for good..made some enquiries and the best speed at my house would be 0.6mps..with no upgrades planned in the next 18 months...my UK house isnt in the stiks either..think im gona stay here in Canada

And another...

Posted Image

Seems the UK is very hit and miss..location doesnt seem to have a massive bearing just distance from the nearest exchange..here in Canada coverage is good and consistent..also 3g network is superb here i can high speed internet access on my fone or using a dongle even in the wilds of the Rocky mountains.

Posted Image

Looks like my 20 meg upgrade hasn't taken effect yet, flagged as 20 isp end but still waiting on BT to upgrade my exchange.

Said they was going to sort that out last April but still waiting on it.

Posted Image

Don't know if Virgin have been doing something but I used to be pleased if it got above 4MB not long ago.

At least three miles from the exchange on ADSL

Impressed :clapping:

this is mine:) BT infinity. Super fast. Over 34mbps. That is wireless too. We have fantastic broadband in the Cardiff area.

Posted Image

Edited by Wales123098

I cant see to post results but I have Ping 104 Download 1.05 and upload 0.70

I have a new soft phone for work that doesn't seem to work properly could it be the slow speeds ?? I often get disconnected if phone rings and someone answers it.

Edited by stewfox

Lets try this one again through my mobile phones' 3G since my telephone line has for some reason gone totally dead, along with my entire town it seems.

Posted Image

Equal to standard DSL of around 7 years ago.

I'm waiting for my virgin cable to grind to a halt again. Looking at the forums it seems customer services are filling the network up beyond capacity and selling services they can't provide. They shouldn't be allowed to do that.

Pretty crap up here, all I get up here is an average of 1.5Megs down and 0.35Megs up. Thats on a good day. Because we don't have a fixed link to the mainland all our telephones, broadband and even the mobile phone network is connected via just two microwave relay paths via Orkney which are often affected by both weather and atmospherics. Even if its good weather, if pressure is high that causes problems due to tropospheric scatter. As you can imagine these relay paths are very congested and this has an impact on speeds as well. BT keep promising to put in a fixed link but never do, they promise the earth when everyone kicks up a hoo-ha but when the fuss dies down nothing happens

It's as bad as that? I'd have thought you would have been wired up directly to France.

I find Virgin usually supplies from 70%-100% of the speed it promises (10Mb/s), and I have been on cable at different addresses (Birmingham, W. London and Worthing) since NTL and Telewest were running the networks at speeds from 500Kb/s - 10Mb/s. Yet the BBC IPlayer still falls over with "Insufficient Bandwidth" even on broadcast radio!

Posted Image

The biggest annoyance to me has been intermittent faults due to overheating of the roadside boxes in midsummer, and displaced connections when engineers have been working on other folks connections.

Posted Image

Cracking broadband here. Possibly there is something in the 'barren' comment made elsewhere in this forum the other day.

That download speed is actually x3 faster than it was last time I tested a few months back. Recent new router/modem and ethernet drivers might have helped? (Thanks again to you know who.)

Edited by Hairy Celt

Virgin are going to upgrade there cable system double the speed unless you're on 100mb where it will go to 120mb. However I wonder what they're going to do about capacity problems they're having. This is the problem they should be dealing with.