Sign in to follow this  
grab my graupel

Broadband speed test

TEITS - if you have a large family all wanting to download lots of programmes then I'd suggest upgrading to the XL package. Can't expect to be on a lower package if you want to use more of the service!

There's plenty of point having these high speeds even with a cap - I can download a 40-50meg file in under a minute. For the most part stuff you'll download won't be 5GB it'll be smaller chunks. But you can now get those smaller chunks very fast even if you can't download 100 of them in a row!

True the market is changing and people want ever more data transfer capacity. This is why Virgin's 50mb package will be out later this year and no doubt it will continue to get ever faster after that.

Capping & ISP's apart - cable is always the best method to deliver high speed data links including TV and internet. Copper phone lines & satellite dishes (with no return feed except by phone line) don't seem a logical choice at all.

TEITS - if you have a large family all wanting to download lots of programmes then I'd suggest upgrading to the XL package. Can't expect to be on a lower package if you want to use more of the service!

Fair point.

Just out of curiousity how much does the L, XL packages cost (including line rental).

Like I said earlier O2 offer 16mb down/1.3mb up for £10 which includes a wireless router delivered by courier. Also worth pointing out that the support telephone number is free and not premium rate like Virgin media and is also based in the UK. There is no traffic shaping whatsoever even during peak hrs and the unlimited downloads means around 200GB. The ultimate package that O2 offers is 20mb down/1.6mb up for £15 and you can actually have 2.5mb upload but then your download speeds are lower. The upload speeds is where O2 are in a league of there own and are vital when hosting large rooms. The latency is also very good because my ping to a london based server is only 20ms and to new York its only 60m/s!

Even with the cost of line rental it still makes O2 very good value for money. If you look at the reviews, Virgin score very low reviews from numerous sources. The main critical comments about virgin seem to be the traffic managment system and the customer support.

Fair point.

Just out of curiousity how much does the L, XL packages cost (including line rental).

Like I said earlier O2 offer 16mb down/1.3mb up for £10 which includes a wireless router delivered by courier. Also worth pointing out that the support telephone number is free and not premium rate like Virgin media and is also based in the UK. There is no traffic shaping whatsoever even during peak hrs and the unlimited downloads means around 200GB. The ultimate package that O2 offers is 20mb down/1.6mb up for £15 and you can actually have 2.5mb upload but then your download speeds are lower. The upload speeds is where O2 are in a league of there own and are vital when hosting large rooms. The latency is also very good because my ping to a london based server is only 20ms and to new York its only 60m/s!

Even with the cost of line rental it still makes O2 very good value for money. If you look at the reviews, Virgin score very low reviews from numerous sources. The main critical comments about virgin seem to be the traffic managment system and the customer support.

The pricing seems pretty 'flexible' depending on what deal you get off them. I'm paying £39 for XL broadband, M cable TV package and landline phone (no fancy call packages). We then pay an additional £10pm for Virgin mobile phone which gets 200 mins/200 texts any network, any time. On top of that its just calls we make (not many on landline!) and any on-demand stuff on the tv (never used so far).

Tech support line isn't premium rate anymore - that was dropped fairly recently. There is a premium rate line but thats if you want to talk about any other computer problems you're having. Can't say I'd ever need that!

As for O2 - the issue of not having forced traffic shaping is that, during peak hours, the whole service can be slowed by the heavy downloaders. Instead of just the heavy downloaders having their speeds reduced - everyone suffers if the system hasn't got sufficient capacity. I'd rather have my speed cut if I exceed the download limit (which is rare) than to always have slow internet during the early evening.

Try testing broadband speeds around 6-7pm and see if you can regularly manage the max speed...

As for O2 - the issue of not having forced traffic shaping is that, during peak hours, the whole service can be slowed by the heavy downloaders. Instead of just the heavy downloaders having their speeds reduced - everyone suffers if the system hasn't got sufficient capacity. I'd rather have my speed cut if I exceed the download limit (which is rare) than to always have slow internet during the early evening.

Try testing broadband speeds around 6-7pm and see if you can regularly manage the max speed...

Thats the beauty of O2 because even during the peak hrs my speed remains constant as I test frequently. I have now been with O2 for over 4 weeks and my download speeds are never lower than 1mb to my sync rate which average around 12mb. I could actually get even faster speeds if I asked O2 to lower my SNR from 6DB to 3DB but the reliablity of my conneciton may suffer. However the O2 subscriber base is still relatively low compared to other ISPS so maybe this will change in the future.

Have to say £39 a month is a very good deal for what you're getting. If virgin was in my area I probably would join them as even I wouldn't use the 20mb limits. However the upload speeds are relatively poor compared to O2 but I do believe when Virgin release the 50mb package the upload speed will be 1.5mb. I think im right in assuming that the 50mb package is going to be released very soon.

I would recommend these links below. They are regarded by many as the most accurate speedtests.

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Hi Dave

I have done a test using the link above and here is a screenshot of the results.

Is this OK?

post-5487-1220944493_thumb.jpg

I tried the BT Speedtester but it wouldn't allow me to log in using my main computer for some reason.

Speed test results aren't the most accurate of tests you're much better downloading a huge file from a large website.

I'm on two Broadband services. UKonline 8 meg and Virgin media 20mb. The UKonline is the quickest of the two by a large margin. Very briefly virgin will work as it should. Anway a speedtest said Virgin was running at 3 meg. I then went to there games servers and downloaded a large file at an average of 1300 kb/sec which is much higher than 3 meg. Peak was 1600 kb/sec a sec. Around 16 meg allowing for overheads not bad. I then used ukonline for the same file and that downloaded at 837 kb/sec.

Sadly virgin media is normally a lot lower than this and I'm lucky to get above 200 kb/sec plus I get packet loss as well.

Speed test results aren't the most accurate of tests you're much better downloading a huge file from a large website.

I'm on two Broadband services. UKonline 8 meg and Virgin media 20mb. The UKonline is the quickest of the two by a large margin. Very briefly virgin will work as it should. Anway a speedtest said Virgin was running at 3 meg. I then went to there games servers and downloaded a large file at an average of 1300 kb/sec which is much higher than 3 meg. Peak was 1600 kb/sec a sec. Around 16 meg allowing for overheads not bad. I then used ukonline for the same file and that downloaded at 837 kb/sec.

Sadly virgin media is normally a lot lower than this and I'm lucky to get above 200 kb/sec plus I get packet loss as well.

Your right about some speed tests but this is why I posted those links as I believe they are the most reliable.

I tend to find that when downloading a large file my speeds are the same as those on the tests. My average download speed is around 1350kb/sec and tend to download 1GB in around 12-13mins. The trouble with using large files as a test is sometimes it depends on the server you're downloading from. For example if I download from the xbox marketplace I get the full 1350kb/sec and yet if I download from the playstation store my speeds aren't as quick.

Have to say im staggered that you only normally download around 200kb/sec on the 20mb virgin package. This works out as less than 2mb, so if I was you I would contact Virgin because something is seriously wrong!

Delays in executing the Digital Britain recommendations may have caused the UK's slip in world rankings as broadband leaders increased their lead in broadband quality. In a study of 65 countries sponsored by network equipment maker Cisco, researchers from the Said Business School at Oxford and University of Oviedo's Department of Applied Economics found broadband quality is linked to a nation's advancement as a knowledge economy.

The research ranks the UK 25th (down from 24th in 2008) measured by the proportion of households accessing broadband. This was behind Taiwan and Ukraine but ahead of Germany, Spain and Italy.

The researchers said UK broadband speeds were improving. Download speeds were 39% faster on average while upload speeds had increased by 37%, But latency (the delay on the network) had increased by 8%. The UK's broadband quality score, a weighted measure to reflect users' actual online experience, improved from 28.3 to 30.8 points, but the UK still lagged behind its peer group, they said.

www.computerweekly.com/

my broadband at my home address has reduced over the last 2 yrs..when i upgraded to virgin media i was getting 2mb...i tried to upgrade to a different provider recently and found the quickest speed i could now get is 0.5mb..so i contacted virgin who said indeed my line was now only capable of supporting 0.5mb as opposed to 2mb it was getting 2 yrs ago...and i thought they were supposed to be upgrading the lines in the uk???? :pardon:

On Radio 2 today they were saying countries such as Latvia and Bulgaria have better broadband and general connectivity than the UK, also the UK is now 36 (ish) out of 60 (ish) countries in terms of broadband. I know South Korea has speeds into the thousands of mb/sec.

On Radio 2 today they were saying countries such as Latvia and Bulgaria have better broadband and general connectivity than the UK, also the UK is now 36 (ish) out of 60 (ish) countries in terms of broadband. I know South Korea has speeds into the thousands of mb/sec.

i got 50meg i thought that was impessive lol no wonder when i play people on xbox live i have a nightmare lol.:)

i got 50meg i thought that was impessive lol no wonder when i play people on xbox live i have a nightmare lol.;)

Shouldn't make much difference.

When it comes to games like FPS i.e COD 4 its your latency that makes a difference. when connecting to UK players your ping should be around 20-30M/S. However if your playing against americans your ping will rise to around 100m/s. This is why if the host is in america they will have an advantage. Your download/upload speeds make no difference to your ping.

Old thread, but I remembered reading something about this somewhere, and my son said that his gameplay at home is loads better than in my office, where the speeds are meant to be higher. What you say makes sense though, as I've just recorded a ping time of 16ms and an upload speed of 5meg...faster than our download speed.

Posted Image

I am quite lucky usually get speeds of around 12mb/s on ADSL. Think i must be close to the exchange or somthing.

Shouldn't make much difference.

When it comes to games like FPS i.e COD 4 its your latency that makes a difference. when connecting to UK players your ping should be around 20-30M/S. However if your playing against americans your ping will rise to around 100m/s. This is why if the host is in america they will have an advantage. Your download/upload speeds make no difference to your ping.

wow my ping is 297m/s..is that good??

297m/s? You'd be quicker running to the other computer and back again. Well, not quite, but....

I used to get speeds like that in the days of satellite broadband.

297m/s? You'd be quicker running to the other computer and back again. Well, not quite, but....

I used to get speeds like that in the days of satellite broadband.

thats my ping score..my download speed is 18mb/s..upload is 1mb/s

That's what I meant - your download speed is great, and your ping score is poor....but I only think that matters in a gaming environment, so it's probably completely inconsequential.

That's what I meant - your download speed is great, and your ping score is poor....but I only think that matters in a gaming environment, so it's probably completely inconsequential.

my son plays online on his XBOX 360 suffers no lag etc at all?

Then your ping time is probably normally a lot better than the one you posted. If it was always in the hundreds, it would make gaming a bit of a pain.....apparently. I haven't played a game on a PC since I had something called Cubez in about 1995

Posted Image

Smug.gif

Pish.gif

Posted Image

I'm sure before we moved in September this would have been better...we used to live 30 metres from the phone exchange, now 1/4 mile.

Although it does change a wee bit every time you try it:

Posted Image

Edited by CatchMyDrift

It's surprising you're about 4mb that close, it must be 4 miles to the exchange from here and a busy time of day, have seen more than 5mb at quiet times.

Posted Image

Although it does change a wee bit every time you try it:

Mine does too - I got over 60meg down and 20meg up a few minutes ago. Snort.